Who is God?

General Christian Theology
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Who is God?

Post by gcdonner »

1689dave wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:01 pm God is one Spirit without beginning or end. Eternally existing as The Father, who eternally begot the Son, who together with the son causes the Holy Spirit to proceed. Since God created time, time does not exist in eternity between the Father begetting the Son, or the proceeding of the Holy Spirit from them. But these, considered as persons are co-eternal, a static condition of the godhead, without beginning or end. And are indivisibly present everywhere in any direction without end. Paul says:

“For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.” Acts 17:28 (KJV 1900)
Though we know that the Word was involved in Creation and He was...eternal, he wasn't "begotten" until the Holy Spirit came over Mary.

All of our "understandings" and definitions are fraught with imperfection because we do not yet "know as we are known". One man's definition (including my own) is just that, and doesn't come close to defining the Deity, the Divine, YHWH.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
1689dave
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by 1689dave »

You believe in a different version of the Trinity, called "Incarnate Sonship". I believe in "Eternal Sonship".
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

1689dave wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:15 pm You believe in a different version of the Trinity, called "Incarnate Sonship". I believe in "Eternal Sonship".
You make my point exactly...I don't have a "view" as such. Your attempt to define my view demonstrates the futility of human reasoning to define Divinity. I prefer not to use the term "trinity" because it is not in scripture anymore than "Oneness" is in scripture, or "eternal sonship" or "incarnate Sonship". All we prove is our ignorance and our penchant to divide over things we have no clue about.

Did you ever wonder why some of these favorite terms are not found in scripture?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
1689dave

Post by 1689dave »

Excuse me. I'm sorry I offended you.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

1689dave wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:10 am Excuse me. I'm sorry I offended you.
I am not offended in the least, but I guess you still missed my point. Let God be God! Stop trying to define who or what He is?!
0 x
1689dave

Post by 1689dave »

Aren't you defining him with your version of the trinity?
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

1689dave wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:06 pm Aren't you defining him with your version of the trinity?
I don't have a "version" of the trinity at all and that again is the point you keep missing. You can't define me any better than you can define YHWH.
Blessings to you for the New Year.
(In my younger days I would have enjoyed arguing with you, but as I grow older I have learned the utter futility of it and the fact that it is not edifying to either of us.)
0 x
1689dave

Post by 1689dave »

If you study Baptist theology, you come up as an Incarnate Sonship Trinitarian even if you don't consider yourself as such. Google the term and see for yourself.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

1689dave wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:13 pm If you study Baptist theology, you come up as an Incarnate Sonship Trinitarian even if you don't consider yourself as such. Google the term and see for yourself.
Very few of us would study Baptist theology. I have a different view then what has been expressed but I would agree it’s not that important

Are you Baptist?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
1689dave

Post by 1689dave »

I study all available positions. I'd still be trapped in a cult if I didn't.
0 x