Who is God?

General Christian Theology
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Who is God?

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Josh wrote:My understanding is the Jews never spoke the Tetragrammaton out loud except in special situations and used euphemisms otherwise.

I usually pray to Lord, Father, or Jesus.
You are correct that they did not speak the Tetragrammaton, but they were familiar with the euphemisms that were inserted, such as Elohim or Adonai, and Jesus indicated so by encouraging us to "hallow thy name". There is only one deity spoken of in scripture who is identified as Lord God, and that reference is carried over into the NT where the holy name is never directly mentioned, but understood with the various iterations of this compound.
Do you know the reason why the Jews didn't articulate the holy name?
So, what name are you saying we should say?

Does something special happen if we say names in foreign languages?
I am not saying that we should "say" any names, or in any particular language, only that we need to be aware of His name, hallow it, and when necessary, use it to identify who our God is, separating him from other gods. It is not enough for us to say that we believe in god, many religions say that. As the OP stated, "Who is God?"
My God is Jehovah and his son is Jesus or if you prefer, my God is YHWH and his son is Yeshua. In either case there is revelation as to the very nature of the Father & the Son, by knowing their names and what they mean.
I dare say that most folks don't know what the name of Jesus means. Names have meanings that were appropriate to the character of the person. A quick study of the OT will tell you that, especially when you consider the name changes that God gave to certain individuals to fit their new identities.
We all have been given new names when we came into covenant relationship with God. Do you know yours? Most folks don't know, haven't asked God to show it to them or just plain don't care. It is told of it in the book of Revelation (it isn't perspective limited...)
I hope you are beginning to understand where I am coming from? Strangely, we talk about a "personal relationship" with God, yet so many don't even know or care about his name. Even the name of Jesus is the name above all names, but itself points to the Father.
Blessings,
George
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

As was alluded to, I'd like to add that God is my Father. As Jesus prayed, "Our Father..."
1 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

George makes good points. The Bible, most noticeably in the Old Testament, gives much more significance to names than 21st century Western culture does. This isn't about a ritualistic pronunciation of ancient Hebrew syllables, but rather the knowledge of God's revealed identity. God's identity isn't the LORD or Jehovah or Yahweh or even YHWH; it is what Moses heard from the burning bush, "I AM THAT I AM."

Psalm 91:14: "Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honor him."
1 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Nov 3, 2016 9:31 PM page 2 of this topic, responding to Josh, 9:11 PM (same date & page)
gcdonner wrote:
Josh wrote:My understanding is the Jews never spoke the Tetragrammaton out loud except in special situations and used euphemisms otherwise.

I usually pray to Lord, Father, or Jesus.
You are correct that they did not speak the Tetragrammaton, but they were familiar with the euphemisms that were inserted, such as Elohim or Adonai, and Jesus indicated so by encouraging us to "hallow thy name". There is only one deity spoken of in scripture who is identified as Lord God, and that reference is carried over into the NT where the holy name is never directly mentioned, but understood with the various iterations of this compound.
Do you know the reason why the Jews didn't articulate the holy name?
During the time that this topic was ‘hot’, I was very busy, and I think I read the first page or so, but didn’t return to it. I have read it through now, because of George’s reference to it in the thread on the doctrine of the trinity.

I cannot find the verse that I am primarily thinking of – perhaps someone can tell me where it is. It is Yahweh speaking, and he says something to the effect of “I am Yahweh (YHWH). This is the name by which I shall be known to all the peoples of the earth.” I think I recall that this came up in discussions on the old forum, and I would have said that while this seems very important to Yahweh - that we know him by his name - we haven’t done a very good job of doing that (making his Name known to the peoples). I originally got started with this study back while I was translating the book of Job for the Indian tribe in Brazil, and I faced some resistance from our translation department there, who said that it would be confusing to introduce another name for God (or something to that effect).

But while searching for the elusive passage I mentioned above, I found the following, in EX 3:15
“…YHWH, … this is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.”
As to whether the Jews commonly pronounced the name of God, YHWH (to my understanding usually substituted with Ha’Shem “the Name” by Orthodox Jews today), back in the OT & NT periods, it is readily apparent that it was used throughout the OT period. That it was in very common use in Moses’ day is made abundantly clear by the fact that even the Pharaoh of Egypt used it (“Who is the LORD, that I should fear him?”). It is still used in the book of Malachi. As to the NT period, some scholars maintain that it was no longer used in Jesus’ day, while others say that it may have been in use until around 200 AD (CE) [See D. A. Carson, Pillar New Testament Commentary, on John 5:18.] Personally, I see no reason to believe that Jesus, when reading the Hebrew Scriptures, did not pronounce the Name, and that he did not use it in common conversations with his followers. (I also believe that although both Adonai and YHWH are translated as ‘Kurios’ in the Greek text, there are indications in the Greek NT text that one or the other was used in the original discourses which are being reported, and in the Epistles, that one or the other is in the mind of the writer, as evidenced by grammatical cues.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Some great observations NETO. You found the passage that you were thinking of and you might also find this one interesting:
Jer 16:19  O LORD[YHWH], my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the ends of the earth, and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit. 
20  Shall a man make gods unto himself, and they are no gods? 
21  Therefore, behold, I will this once cause them to know, I will cause them to know mine hand and my might; and they shall know that my name is The LORD[YHWH]. 
It does seem strange that we have missed this amongst the Gentiles, but then we do use the name of Yeshua/Jesus, which in essence is a reference to the holy name of our Father, since it means "YHWH Saves".
I have taught this concept several times now in recent months and am always amazed at the general ignorance of Christians about the name of the God we serve. So many believe that "God" is his name, including pastors...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Neto

Post by Neto »

Neto wrote: I cannot find the verse that I am primarily thinking of – perhaps someone can tell me where it is. It is Yahweh speaking, and he says something to the effect of “I am Yahweh (YHWH). This is the name by which I shall be known to all the peoples of the earth.”
I'm not sure this is the right text, and if so, I had the words quite a bit different. Anyway, it's a similar idea.

IS 12, especially vs 4-6. "Give thanks to Yahweh, call upon his name and make it known to the peoples what he has done. Proclaim that his name is exalted. ... let this be known to the whole world..."
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Neto wrote:
Neto wrote: I cannot find the verse that I am primarily thinking of – perhaps someone can tell me where it is. It is Yahweh speaking, and he says something to the effect of “I am Yahweh (YHWH). This is the name by which I shall be known to all the peoples of the earth.”
I'm not sure this is the right text, and if so, I had the words quite a bit different. Anyway, it's a similar idea.

IS 12, especially vs 4-6. "Give thanks to Yahweh, call upon his name and make it known to the peoples what he has done. Proclaim that his name is exalted. ... let this be known to the whole world..."
AMEN! He is worthy!
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

gcdonner wrote:
Neto wrote: IS 12, especially vs 4-6. "Give thanks to Yahweh, call upon his name and make it known to the peoples what he has done. Proclaim that his name is exalted. ... let this be known to the whole world..."
AMEN! He is worthy!
That's a good response, and a good reminder. We must not become so caught up in the details of our belief that we fail to obey what we know. <ProblemWithTheology>
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

One of the first threads when MN was new:
OP Page 1:
Mrs.Nisly wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:51 pm Since this is a new forum I think it is in order to discuss some very basic things.

So the first question I have is:

Who is God?

Please support your thoughts with scriptural citation if you can.
Page 3:
Neto wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:22 am
gcdonner wrote:
Neto wrote: IS 12, especially vs 4-6. "Give thanks to Yahweh, call upon his name and make it known to the peoples what he has done. Proclaim that his name is exalted. ... let this be known to the whole world..."
AMEN! He is worthy!
That's a good response, and a good reminder.
We must not become so caught up in the details of our belief that we fail to obey what we know. <ProblemWithTheology>

What is the forbidden name of God?
YHWH
All modern denominations of Judaism teach that the four letter name of God, YHWH, is forbidden to be uttered except by the High Priest, in the Temple. Since the Temple in Jerusalem no longer exists, this name is never said in religious rituals by Jews.
Orthodox and Conservative Jews never pronounce it for any reason.
https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/wikispe ... udaism.htm
Names of God in Judaism
^^[i had no idea.]
What do Catholics call God?
Catholics worship the One and Only God, who is the Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.) He is ONE God, in three divine Persons, and his name is YHWH or Yahweh. The second Person of this Trinity (the Son) came to earth and took on humanity. His name is Yeshua (meaning: “Yahweh Saves”).
https://www.walpolecatholic.net › w... (i can’t find the link)
What Do Catholics Believe?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
1689dave
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by 1689dave »

God is one Spirit without beginning or end. Eternally existing as The Father, who eternally begot the Son, who together with the son causes the Holy Spirit to proceed. Since God created time, time does not exist in eternity between the Father begetting the Son, or the proceeding of the Holy Spirit from them. But these, considered as persons are co-eternal, a static condition of the godhead, without beginning or end. And are indivisibly present everywhere in any direction without end. Paul says:

“For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.” Acts 17:28 (KJV 1900)
0 x