Who is God?

General Christian Theology
Mrs.Nisly
Affiliation: BMA

Who is God?

Post by Mrs.Nisly »

Since this is a new forum I think it is in order to discuss some very basic things.

So the first question I have is:

Who is God?

Please support your thoughts with scriptural citation if you can.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Who is God?

Post by temporal1 »

John 4:24
Jesus and the Samaritan Woman
…23But a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth, for the Father is seeking such as these to worship Him.

24God is Spirit, and His worshipers must worship Him in spirit and in truth.”

25The woman said, “I know that Messiah (called Christ) is coming. When He comes, He will explain everything to us.”…
Berean Study Bible

i was just reading this passage today. :D
thinking of putting John 4:24 in my MN signature line.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Mrs.Nisly wrote:Since this is a new forum I think it is in order to discuss some very basic things.

So the first question I have is:

Who is God?

Please support your thoughts with scriptural citation if you can.
Which God are you referring to? Is there more than one? (Don't forget your last statement...)
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

A good starting point is that God is not human. We humans are made in His image... it seems a lot of people get that flipped.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

kingdomBuilder wrote:A good starting point is that God is not human. We humans are made in His image... it seems a lot of people get that flipped.
What does, "not human" mean? We have a tendency to use cliches' like everyone understands what we are saying, but if you were answering this question for a non-believer or for a pagan who has no knowledge of the Christian God (who is he?), how would you explain "him"?
My questions were not flippant questions, but ones that deserve and must be answered.
Is he Allah? Is he Buddha? Is he Zeus? Who is God? What is God?
Who is your God?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

As far as scriptural references go, as suggested in the op, I think 1 Timothy 1:17 offers quite a bit-

"“...the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever...”
‭‭
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

I am dismayed that no one seems to know the name of our God. When someone is introduced, don't we identify them by name?
If I were to ask, "who is President?", how would you identify him (presently)?

There are many gods in this world...
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

gcdonner wrote:I am dismayed that no one seems to know the name of our God. When someone is introduced, don't we identify them by name?

Some of my friends insist that his name is "Jesus" and that it is a big deal to make sure to use that exact name.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:
gcdonner wrote:I am dismayed that no one seems to know the name of our God. When someone is introduced, don't we identify them by name?

Some of my friends insist that his name is "Jesus" and that it is a big deal to make sure to use that exact name.
In one sense, your Jesus only friends are right, but for their wrong reasons. The name Jesus or Yeshua means, Yah saves.
There is only one true god and His name is YHWH (however you choose to spell it or pronounce it), or anglicized, "Jehovah".
We refer to his name every time we say the "Lord's prayer" when we say, "Hallowed be thy name", but the vast majority of christians don't know or care what that name is and are ignorant enough to believe that He is the same as the god of the Muslims.
The term god, merely means "divine", a generic term and is not the name of the Spirit whom we worship as pointed out by Jesus and quoted by T1,
I'm not sure how many folks here on MN have considered the implications of His Name. Those who have taken the time to learn of his name and the various titles attached to it will find a real reward and blessing in knowing our God in a much more intimate way.
Exo_6:3  And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.
Exo_9:16  And in very deed for this cause have I raised thee up, for to shew in thee my power; and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth.
Isa_42:8  I am YHWH: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.
Think about it!
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I've spent enough time around people who insist on calling God Yahweh, or Jehovah, or insisting in calling Jesus Yeshua, the Messiah, etc. and actually thinking it makes a difference to know that the focus of our Christian walk is not on obscure names in other languages of our God. If one wanted to, we could simply call God "I am" and Jesus "The one who saves" and we would be fine.

The Holy Spirit doesn't even have a name!
0 x