General Christian Theology
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Hell and GCDonnor.

Post by RZehr »

gcdonner wrote:
RZehr wrote:
Josh wrote:
I agree we might get the same punishment - I just don't see that human beings who go to hell end up with eternal life.
Maybe the death is figurative and the fire is not figurative. Or it maybe that the body is "consumed" but the spirit is not.
Mat 10:28  And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 
Destroy here is meant figuratively. And just because He is able doesn't mean that he will. ;) Okay but seriously, I acknowledge what you're saying is difficult to reconcile. But I'm not there.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

RZehr wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
RZehr wrote: Maybe the death is figurative and the fire is not figurative. Or it maybe that the body is "consumed" but the spirit is not.
Mat 10:28  And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 
Destroy here is meant figuratively. And just because He is able doesn't mean that he will. ;) Okay but seriously, I acknowledge what you're saying is difficult to reconcile. But I'm not there.
All I expect is to ask you to answer to scripture. Let it be your guide. The Spirit and the Word agree.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Signtist wrote:We'll have to see just how interesting we can make next Sunday's SS lesson on the rich man and Lazarus!
I would enjoy being a fly on the wall. I hope you don't think I am a fly in the ointment...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

And real soon there's one with the title Your Redemption Draws Near or something similar. Thought of you when I saw that.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Signtist wrote:And real soon there's one with the title Your Redemption Draws Near or something similar. Thought of you when I saw that.
For how long have we heard that one? I feel bad for the first century church to whom these things were said, that God was only kidding and that it was going to be another 2000 years before it happened.

Do we realize the implications of what it means if Christ did not return in the first century as he said? He didn't triumph over the Old Covenant? Our redemption is not complete?
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Signtist wrote:We'll have to see just how interesting we can make next Sunday's SS lesson on the rich man and Lazarus!
I was studying the lesson, thought of you.

John MacArthur says this about the last part of the text:
For the rich man, Israel, and all who arrive in hell, the issue is not lack of information, but rejection of the truth: "This is the judgement, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil"(John 3:19)
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

We never even got into the "hell" part of the lesson... But we had some really good discussion going on. Lester would have been disappointed. I guess i dont "teach" necessarily as much as direct the discussion.

And we had a visitor in class who was apparently my relative. His wife is a cousin to my mother or something.The menno game was afoot!
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Signtist wrote:We never even got into the "hell" part of the lesson...
We didn't either. But I dug out the recording of a sermon I heard on this passage years ago, with one of the more attention-getting sermon titles I've run across:

Seven Things Hell Has That Every Church Needs
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

So, which "hell" are you guys referencing?
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

gcdonner wrote:Do we realize the implications of what it means if Christ did not return in the first century as he said? He didn't triumph over the Old Covenant? Our redemption is not complete?
Do elaborate, dear brother.
0 x