What is a Root of Bitterness?

General Christian Theology
Aurien
Affiliation: Ex-Mennonite

What is a Root of Bitterness?

Post by Aurien »

silentreader wrote:Sometimes an "ex" can see the 'forest' more clearly simply because they have chosen to take a step away.
I think there has been some valuable posting on this thread by those whom I presume are "ex".

On the other hand, I know from personal experience that the opinions of some who are "ex" are sometimes driven by an unresolved root of bitterness brought on by wrongs done to them, some real, some imagined.
I've heard the phrase "root of bitterness" used many times to refer to a person who is angry about something. So after silentreader used that phrase I decided to do some reading about the root of bitterness. I found a number of things that use it in the context of a person being angry and bitter about something. I also found a few other articles that use it in a different way.

So what are your thoughts on a root of bitterness?

Disclaimer: I don't know all the theological leanings of the people who wrote these articles. I'm pretty sure at least that there are a few things that I don't agree with John Piper on. Nevertheless I found these articles interesting.

https://www.gotquestions.org/root-of-bitterness.html

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/wh ... bitterness

https://www.bibletruths.org/what-is-a-r ... itterness/
0 x
No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly. --J.R.R. Tolkien

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...you find someone to carry you. --Firefly
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: What is a Root of Bitterness?

Post by MaxPC »

In my perspective the root of bitterness has two types of characteristics:
1. Perseverative or persistent =>ongoing, tenacious, perpetual
2. Anger, resentment, cynicism, besetting grudge-holding

There are people who are champion grudge holders: they revel in their ability to never give an inch in a resentment.

Others hold grudges or resentment because of a very deep wound they received.

Caveat: I have found that we don’t always know the reasons for such grudges or resentment. I simply entrust these people to the Lord and pray for them.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Aurien

Post by Aurien »

Do you have any thoughts on the concept of a bitter root as it's portrayed in the links I posted?
The idea that a root of bitterness may refer to more than the emotion of bitterness is a novel concept to me. If I'm understanding these writings correctly the emotion of bitterness may be a cause of a root of bitterness/poison root but it could just as easily be caused by many other sins.
So, the “bitter root” in Hebrews refers to a source of evil or wickedness within the church. A root may be small and slow in its growth, but, if it carries poison, it is malignant; it is dangerous. Sin in the church must be diligently rooted out; the result of tolerating wickedness is that “many” will be defiled.
This is also the very point of the context of the term “root of bitterness” in Hebrews 12:15.

Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled. (12:14–15)

This is a warning not to treat holiness lightly or to presume upon more grace.

Therefore a “root of bitterness” is a person or a doctrine in the church which encourages people to act presumptuously and treats salvation as an automatic thing that does not require a life of vigilance in the fight of faith and the pursuit of holiness. Such a person or a doctrine defiles many and can lead to the experience of Esau who played fast and loose with his inheritance and could not repent in the end and find life.
lest any root of bitterness springing up, trouble you — The apostle here alludes to Deuteronomy 29:18, Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turneth away from the Lord, lest there should be a root that beareth gall and wormwood; and he primarily intends, lest there be any person whose heart is inclined to apostacy from the gospel. He may mean, however, also, lest any evil disposition, such as covetousness, ambition, anger, malice, envy, revenge, should spring up in any person or number of persons, and destroy the peace and harmony of the Christian society. In general, any corruption, either in doctrine or practice, is a root of bitterness, which, springing up, would trouble others, and might defile many.
0 x
No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly. --J.R.R. Tolkien

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...you find someone to carry you. --Firefly
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Not sure what relevance this would have here, but:

We must learn to forgive those who will never be sorry and except an apology we will never hear.

Can't say I've mastered that. Bitterness will eat a person from the inside out.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

steve-in-kville wrote:We must learn to forgive those who will never be sorry and except an apology we will never hear.
:up: Same here.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Aslanhasheard wrote:Do you have any thoughts on the concept of a bitter root as it's portrayed in the links I posted?
The idea that a root of bitterness may refer to more than the emotion of bitterness is a novel concept to me. If I'm understanding these writings correctly the emotion of bitterness may be a cause of a root of bitterness/poison root but it could just as easily be caused by many other sins.
So, the “bitter root” in Hebrews refers to a source of evil or wickedness within the church. A root may be small and slow in its growth, but, if it carries poison, it is malignant; it is dangerous. Sin in the church must be diligently rooted out; the result of tolerating wickedness is that “many” will be defiled.
My answer would be the same because the verses you cite are companion concepts to the exhortations of old nature vs new nature: they address both the sources and definitions of bitterness. Sinful behaviors that are outward expressions of bitterness are the focus of the passages. Whether these sources involve tribal feuds, class distinctions or any other cultural characteristics it’s all part of the old sinful nature.

We are exhorted to put away or give up our old sinful nature and to put on the new man-self of our renewed life in Christ. That means putting away old attitudes as well as the old behaviors that are the outward expressions of those old attitudes.
Ephesians 4:22-24
Colossians 3:5-16
As always YMMV.
steve-in-kville wrote:Not sure what relevance this would have here, but:

We must learn to forgive those who will never be sorry and except an apology we will never hear.

Amen and amen, Steve. We have a saying in our family: “Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison; and waiting for the other person to die.”

My experience within parish life is that there are two main types of personalities:
Collaborative - in which there is encouragement and support among the members.
Competitive - in which there are members who are constantly competing against others in status, money, and ambitions.

I find that it’s the competitive behaviors that spawn bitterness and resentment; and the bitterness -resentment spawns competition. It’s a vicious cycle that many individuals can get locked into.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote: Amen and amen, Steve. We have a saying in our family: “Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison; and waiting for the other person to die.”
I've heard that as well. 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote:
MaxPC wrote: Amen and amen, Steve. We have a saying in our family: “Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison; and waiting for the other person to die.”
I've heard that as well. 8-)
Another one is l: it says more about the person who is holding the grudge than the person who is the object of the grudge.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Aurien

Post by Aurien »

MaxPC wrote:Sinful behaviors that are outward expressions of bitterness are the focus of the passages.
Unless I'm reading wrong I don't think that's exactly what the articles that I linked to are talking about. They're not talking about sinful behaviors that are being caused by the emotion of bitterness, but about a bitter root (poison root, acrid root) being caused by sinful behavior (behavior which may not include the emotion of bitterness).
In the Hebrew culture, any poisonous plant was called a “bitter” plant. Poison destroys, and the result of ingesting a poisonous plant would be bitter, indeed. The author of the book of Hebrews uses a “bitter root” as a metaphor for that which would bring harm to the church.
There is a verse in the Pentateuch that closely mirrors the wording in Hebrews. In Deuteronomy 29, Moses reviews the covenant between God and Israel. In this context, he says, “Make sure there is no root among you that produces such bitter poison” (Deuteronomy 29:18). This particular “bitter poison” is idolatry in defiance of the covenant. Throughout the Old Testament, the Hebrew word translated “bitter poison” refers either to the unfaithful (Deuteronomy 29:18; Amos 6:12) or to their punishment (Jeremiah 8:14; 9:15; 23:15).
So, the “bitter root” in Hebrews refers to a source of evil or wickedness within the church[. A root may be small and slow in its growth, but, if it carries poison, it is malignant; it is dangerous. Sin in the church must be diligently rooted out; the result of tolerating wickedness is that “many” will be defiled.
For an example of how God dealt with a “root of bitterness” in the early church, see the story of Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5. Obviously, God considers pulling up such “bitter roots” to be critically important to the health of His church.

I feel like I'm not explaining myself very well here but I see that there's a difference between something that's a bitter (poison) root, and the emotion of bitterness. There are other places in the Bible like Ephesians 4:31 which speak about putting away the emotion of bitterness but in Hebrews it seems that the author is talking about something other than the emotion we think of when we hear the word "bitter."
0 x

Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

The root of bitterness has its source in some event (or events) that we can't (quite) let go and then goes on to affect other matters. The root of bitterness, when left untreated, may lead us to becoming bitter (cynical, angry, mocking, etc.) Some of the fault finding we have seen on MN can probably be attributed to a root of bitterness. I know that is the case for myself.

SOME THINGS HAPPEN THAT JUST ARE NOT RIGHT and, not being able to really do anything about those things results in that bitter root. A number of years ago we visited with a relative who was obviously unhappy with his church leadership. Upon leaving their home, I told my wife I am not ready to go join him in his unhappy state, so in time I got over it. That root has been touched several times over the years without being properly uprooted or proper healing, so this time, the root has gone deeper. i don't want to remain in the state where that root is troubling me but.... I am not getting the right kind of help from the right people. When they try, they seem to drive the root just a little deeper.
1 x