Re: What is a Root of Bitterness?

Post by RZehr »

:lol: lame attempt at humor.
1 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

RZehr wrote::lol: lame attempt at humor.
Thanks, all. There is a time when humour does help, lame or not. I had to read three times til I got it.
1 x
Aurien
Affiliation: Ex-Mennonite

Post by Aurien »

RZehr wrote::lol: lame attempt at humor.
I don't think it was that lame. It just takes me a bit to get stuff sometimes. Especially when I'm reading something online and can't hear the tone of a person's voice.
This actually sounds like something my brother would have said, or maybe my sister since she seems to be picking up on his type of humor.
1 x
No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly. --J.R.R. Tolkien

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...you find someone to carry you. --Firefly
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:
Aslanhasheard wrote:I suggest to everyone reading this that we keep Hats Off in our prayers.
Except for the women....?
:rofl:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Aslanhasheard wrote:
silentreader wrote:Sometimes an "ex" can see the 'forest' more clearly simply because they have chosen to take a step away.
I think there has been some valuable posting on this thread by those whom I presume are "ex".

On the other hand, I know from personal experience that the opinions of some who are "ex" are sometimes driven by an unresolved root of bitterness brought on by wrongs done to them, some real, some imagined.
I've heard the phrase "root of bitterness" used many times to refer to a person who is angry about something. So after silentreader used that phrase I decided to do some reading about the root of bitterness. I found a number of things that use it in the context of a person being angry and bitter about something. I also found a few other articles that use it in a different way.

So what are your thoughts on a root of bitterness?

Disclaimer: I don't know all the theological leanings of the people who wrote these articles. I'm pretty sure at least that there are a few things that I don't agree with John Piper on. Nevertheless I found these articles interesting.

https://www.gotquestions.org/root-of-bitterness.html

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/wh ... bitterness

https://www.bibletruths.org/what-is-a-r ... itterness/

This from "Enduring Word"

ii. Bitterness corrupts many, rooted in a sense of personal hurt, and many hold on to the bitterness with amazing stubbornness. What they must do is remember the grace of God extended to them, and start extending that grace towards others – loving the undeserving.
1 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Hats Off wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:11 pm The root of bitterness has its source in some event (or events) that we can't (quite) let go and then goes on to affect other matters.
The root of bitterness, when left untreated, may lead us to becoming bitter (cynical, angry, mocking, etc.)

Some of the fault finding we have seen on MN can probably be attributed to a root of bitterness. I know that is the case for myself.

SOME THINGS HAPPEN THAT JUST ARE NOT RIGHT :(
and, not being able to really do anything about those things results in that bitter root. :(

A number of years ago we visited with a relative who was obviously unhappy with his church leadership.
Upon leaving their home, I told my wife I am not ready to go join him in his unhappy state, so in time I got over it.

That root has been touched several times over the years without being properly uprooted or proper healing, so this time, the root has gone deeper.

:arrow: i don't want to remain in the state where that root is troubling me
but.... I am not getting the right kind of help from the right people.
When they try, they seem to drive the root just a little deeper. :(
i miss Hats Off.
for myself, not wanting to remain in a troubled state, i question myself.
am i asking with the wrong words? am i asking for the impossible? am i not being patient enough? too patient?

at this point, in my personal life, i really question my ability to find “the right words” .. because, from all i can understand, if i found the right words, there would be no disagreement. what is wrong with my words??! i am genuinely puzzled.

i’m not willing to describe details of this particular problem, so, no one here can help with this particular challenge.

but, as a generalization, finding the right words (words BOTH intended, AND understood as intended) is key.
i pray for the Holy Spirit to guide my words and actions. without, i am lost.

i wonder if Hats Off will one day return. he shared he did not really want to leave. so, maybe one day.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

I have always understood it as a reference to Deut. 29:18 and interpreted it accordingly. The root of bitterness is the godless and immoral person who causes disorder within the Body and corrupts others, "destroying the watered land with the dry". He is kin to the one who "causes these little ones to stumble" and accordingly will not find forgiveness.

I understand that bitterness in relationships also has a defiling effect but do not think that is the primary meaning of the passage.
3 x