Conversion of celebrities

General Christian Theology
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Re: Conversion of celebrities

Post by Swiss Bro »

I haven‘t been following the development of Kanye West but I hear he dropped a new album and I wonder if I should give it a spin. I only intend to do so if (i) he is confirmed to actually (still) be in the faith and (ii) the lyrics are wholesome. I cannot judge it myself thoroughly as I am not a native English speaker. As Mennonet is rap savvy (cf. Public Enemy thread lol), I thought I‘d might ask you, dear fellow forumites if any of you can answer these questions.
0 x
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Swiss Bro wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:05 am I haven‘t been following the development of Kanye West but I hear he dropped a new album and I wonder if I should give it a spin. I only intend to do so if (i) he is confirmed to actually (still) be in the faith and (ii) the lyrics are wholesome. I cannot judge it myself thoroughly as I am not a native English speaker. As Mennonet is rap savvy (cf. Public Enemy thread lol), I thought I‘d might ask you, dear fellow forumites if any of you can answer these questions.
The symbolism of the album and surrounding its release is all satanic. As with a lot of mainstream entertainment, you need to look at the whole picture, meaning the symbology, not just the words. Bella Poarch kicked off her music career with a song that "has a good message", but the symbology is all evil. Her next song showed her true alliances with the words "I'm the reason why hell's so hot"

I would steer clear.
2 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Swiss Bro wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:05 am I haven‘t been following the development of Kanye West but I hear he dropped a new album and I wonder if I should give it a spin. I only intend to do so if (i) he is confirmed to actually (still) be in the faith and (ii) the lyrics are wholesome. I cannot judge it myself thoroughly as I am not a native English speaker. As Mennonet is rap savvy (cf. Public Enemy thread lol), I thought I‘d might ask you, dear fellow forumites if any of you can answer these questions.
From what I’ve read, “Donda” isn’t as overtly Christian as 2019’s “Jesus is King,” but there are references to Christian faith, however it’s not clear what Kanye actually believes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion ... story.html
But when it comes to faith, the album represents an interesting lyrical dichotomy.

On the track “God Breathed,” Kanye seems to conflate the God the Father with Maury Povich, the star of the long-running talk-meets-reality-TV show. Two tracks later, in “Hurricane,” Kanye suddenly prays “ Father, hold me close, don't let me drown.” The religious references are plain, but their purpose is not.

On “Jail,” Jay-Z, who is featured on the album along with Manson and DaBaby, playfully discusses being made in the image of God: “That’s a selfie,” he raps, and he compares himself and Kanye to Moses and Jesus. Meanwhile, West insists, “I gotta stay with God where the blessings is” in “Off the Grid.”

On “Jesus Lord,” Kanye pleads “ And if I talk to Christ, can I bring my mother back to life? ”
Is he trusting in God? Or is he just fond of the metaphors the Bible offers him? Is he a Christian because he buys into a prosperity gospel that tells him he’s cartoonishly wealthy because of God?

It’s impossible to decode. That is to say: Don’t expect to figure out Kanye’s personal faith anytime soon.
2 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

Thanks guys, that settles it for me. I‘ll pass…
0 x
Jess77
Affiliation:

Post by Jess77 »

I know this is has been mostly a Kanye post, but getting back to the op, I was pleasantly surprised to learn Lucas Black is a strong Christian. I find his tweets to be extremely uplifting.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

From the OP:
.. This thread is meant to be general discussion about “those certain people” who find themselves-and-their-faith, in the public eye in ways most of us never will, and would likely prefer not to be there.
Jess77 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:10 pm I know this is has been mostly a Kanye post, but getting back to the op, I was pleasantly surprised to learn Lucas Black is a strong Christian. I find his tweets to be extremely uplifting.

A welcome addition. Thank you!

i don’t tweet, and i did not know Lucas Black’s name, but i recognize him from NCIS, my husband enjoyed watching.
i’m happy to read about him now, i agree, i found encouraging news about him and his family.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

2019 / OP:
.. This thread is meant to be general discussion about “those certain people” who find themselves-and-their-faith, in the public eye in ways most of us never will, and would likely prefer not to be there.

2023 / RUSSELL BRAND

“Russell Brand shares faith's role in overcoming addiction: 'I need God, or I cannot cope in this world' “
https://www.foxnews.com/media/russell-b ... cope-world
"Are we being kind? Are we being loving? Are we being the best that we can be?
On whose behalf are we speaking? And what is my intention, moment to moment?
Am I doing this for self-glorification? Am I doing this because I have obligations to rumble the platform I'm on?

Or am I doing this because I genuinely believe that a better world is possible and that world is born individually within each of us, moment to moment?

And it's possible to change. I genuinely believe in change," he said. ..
As with some other celebrities, i appreciate lots of his questions, thoughts, views, but cringe at his frequent (not always) coarseness and profanity. These cost him credibility, in my view.

i only recently learned of his sinful background.
0 x

UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:44 pm

i only recently learned of his sinful background.
He was addicted to about everything that could be someone could be addicted to.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

When being a moral person isn’t enough. (i don’t believe JP SEARS was a dedicated unrepentant sinner)
In this he describes the mind+heart condition of LOADS of average public school educated (ignorant by plan) people.

AwakenWithJP / I Changed My Mind About God - Here's Why / 25min
0 x

UNKNOWN
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:20 am When being a moral person isn’t enough. (i don’t believe JP SEARS was a dedicated unrepentant sinner)
In this he describes the mind+heart condition of LOADS of average public school educated (ignorant by plan) people.

AwakenWithJP / I Changed My Mind About God - Here's Why / 25min
I haven't been following this thread but I took time to watch this video.

I thought his 4 tips showed real growth as a believer. I don't know anything about this guy but my impressions from watching this is there is some good things to think about that he shares.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit