Conversion of celebrities

General Christian Theology
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Conversion of celebrities

Post by barnhart »

I see Mr. West is considering changing his name to Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

barnhart wrote:I see Mr. West is considering changing his name to Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West.
i saw that, too. i didn’t pursue it, but i thought about it.
mostly, not knowing if it’s real, or the context. he is known for his own special brand of “bizarre.”
before recently, i have avoided anything about him for that reason. plus, i avoid hollywood.

he will have enemies for choosing Jesus.
it will be impossible for anyone like me to know what is fact/fiction. he has the ability to reach many people that are otherwise hard to reach. some will want to destroy him on that basis alone.

“Pastor: 1,000 Accept Christ At Kanye West Event”
https://www.toddstarnes.com/faith/pasto ... est-event/

prayers for KW, and prayers for the 6,000 at this event. the Holy Spirit will determine outcomes.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

At some point Mr. Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West will discover Romans 12:3.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

And maybe Luke 9:23, Luke 12:32-34... difficult for me as well.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Kanye and his wife are continuing on their journey.
There have been different news items, his visit to a prison, his wife’s changes due to his leadership, and, something about he and Joel Osteen .. ?? i’m kinda hoping not .. but, i don’t know.

i like reading his wife is in support. men often seem to have so little idea how important they are in their families. their witness as a family is very much needed in these times.
i continue prayers for them, and for those they may reach.

Another celebrity, Blake Shelton, is sharing about his new found faith.
prayers for them. they have a lot ahead of them.
Page 11 / http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... ake#p74114
“Country star Blake Shelton says he found God in 2019:
‘I had one of those moments that you hear people talk about' “
https://www.theblaze.com/news/country-s ... od-in-2019
Just noticed this article from earlier in 2019.
i knew almost nothing about these “old time” celebrities, and Catholicism.
some interesting, and drastic, changes of hearts and lives.

“Hollywood’s greatest legends and their little-known Catholic conversion stories”
https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/holl ... rsion-stor
.. But a surprising number of those larger-than-life Hollywood personalities came to recognize the emptiness of their worldly achievements in view of the power of Christ’s cross and the surpassing value of knowing Him. ..
.. Jane Wyman was baptized along with children Michael and Maureen Reagan on the feast of the Immaculate Conception in 1954 and as she grew in her faith “she became a Third Order Dominican, acquiring a gravitas that set her apart.”

The woman who had been married to future President Ronald Reagan, and who had played the doyenne of Falcon Crest, was buried “in a simple pine coffin, wearing the habit — about as far from the Hollywood glitz and the need to ‘get noticed’ as one could get,” explained Kendall.

Who knew there existed all along such a “great cloud of witnesses” (Hebrews 12:1) in the environs of Tinseltown?

“In the end, just as they were so generous with their talents,” writes Kendall, “so, too, was God with his grace, showering it abundantly to help them discover the key to happiness lies not in the dreams Hollywood manufactures,
but in the true joy that comes only from God, which, as St. Josemaria Escriva de Balaguer always said, “has its roots in the form of a cross.”
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

The account of Jane Wyman above leaves an impression on me.
i was too busy with living in “the Reagan years” to pay attention to Reagan or other politics.
as well, i had not yet learned of the scriptural/CM view of marriage-divorce-remarriage ..
evenso, i just never thought of Ronald Reagan as divorced, from wife with children, and remarried.
also, i did not pay attention to Catholics, or EOs.

reading this now means a lot more to me than in most of my life.

i have to imagine, this experience with his first wife must have had deep impact on President Reagan. he could not have ignored her sacrificial commitments. he must have carried this in his heart, no matter his personal walk.

he was so respectful of Nancy, i just never thought about her as being anything but first wife.
but, to repeat, i was not paying attention, either.

young people should be busy living their lives, and learning! it makes me sad to see so many young people, now teens+children, too, getting involved in all sorts of politics.

by God’s deliberate design, much of human development is SLOW. God has His plan. :D

On that note. i just read this morning: :D

“Ask 'old people' for advice, world's oldest PM says to the youngest”
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mala ... e=Facebook
KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) -
Malaysia’s Mahathir Mohamad, the world’s oldest serving premier, said on Tuesday it would be a good idea for the world’s youngest prime minister, Finland’s Sanna Marin, to ask “old people” for their advice.

Marin, 34, was the sole candidate for her government’s top post after the resignation of Antti Rinne following a declaration of no confidence in him by a party in Finland’s ruling coalition.

“While we believe in the idealism of young people, it is important also for them to consider the experience of the old people,” Mahathir, 94, told Reuters in an interview.

“Then there will be a combination of the two, and that would be good.” .. ..
The U.S. experiment is so young. Much to learn. 8-)
0 x

UNKNOWN
Outsider
Affiliation: Church of Christ

Post by Outsider »

My final take on Kanye West is the same one Paul expressed in Philippians 1:15

"15 Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill: 16 [c]The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains; 17 but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel. 18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice."
0 x
1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;

Hebrews 1:14
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Kanye continues on his journey. :)

:arrow: This thread is not intended to be solely about Kanye.
Different men are stepping up. Reports are encouraging.

BENJAMIN WATSON NFL Football player. :D

2019 / PLWC / Pro Life Women’s Conference / 3:40 min.

2020 / “EXCLUSIVE:
Faith, Family, Football: Why New England Patriots Tight End Benjamin Watson Champions Life”
https://dailycaller.com/2020/01/16/patr ... fe-family/

Upcoming Documentary: DIVIDED HEARTS OF AMERICA
“Benjamin Watson to ‘unveil the truth about abortion’ in documentary
featuring Dr. Ben Carson, Alveda King”
https://www.christianpost.com/news/benj ... -king.html

2018 / Focus on the Family / “BENJAMIN WATSON: AN NFL VOICE FOR LIFE AND JUSTICE”
https://www.focusonthefamily.com/pro-li ... d-justice/
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Outsider wrote: My final take on Kanye West is the same one Paul expressed in Philippians 1:15

"15 Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill:

16 [c]The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains;

17 but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel.

18 What then?
Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth,
Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice."
i just noticed this. :D
i must find it and read in context. :)

this question is often mulled over, it’s feared someone will not get the Word right, that damage might be done, and, sometimes, we see scriptures used for awful purposes! - some err with good intentions, some with bad motivations, but this suggests the Word is more, and Jesus Christ will overcome.

just as He describes. :D

i believe the Holy Spirit, the Advocate, is at work and determines outcomes, in God’s time, and for God’s will. as i read it, that’s what this passage is saying. i want to read Phil 1:15 in context.

John 14:26
https://biblehub.com/john/14-26.htm
Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit
…25All this I have spoken to you while I am still with you.

26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you.

27Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled; do not be afraid.…
0 x

UNKNOWN
Outsider
Affiliation: Church of Christ

Post by Outsider »

temporal1 wrote:
Outsider wrote: My final take on Kanye West is the same one Paul expressed in Philippians 1:15

"15 Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill:

16 [c]The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains;

17 but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel.

18 What then?
Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth,
Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice."
i just noticed this. :D
i must find it and read in context. :)

this question is often mulled over, it’s feared someone will not get the Word right, that damage might be done, and, sometimes, we see scriptures used for awful purposes! - some err with good intentions, some with bad motivations, but this suggests the Word is more, and Jesus Christ will overcome.

just as He describes. :D

i believe the Holy Spirit, the Advocate, is at work and determines outcomes, in God’s time, and for God’s will. as i read it, that’s what this passage is saying. i want to read Phil 1:15 in context.

John 14:26
https://biblehub.com/john/14-26.htm
Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit
…25All this I have spoken to you while I am still with you.

26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you.

27Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled; do not be afraid.…
Yes. I believe that everyone who believes in Jesus Christ, and has love in his heart for his fellows will find the way.
0 x
1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;

Hebrews 1:14
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?