Conversion of celebrities

General Christian Theology
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Conversion of celebrities

Post by steve-in-kville »

JP Sears is also a good comedian. Been follling his channel for a few years now. My favorite episode is "How to pretend to be gluten intolerant."
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:20 am
I found the video interesting. The faith he describes is rather generic. I don’t recall that he ever mentions the name “Jesus” for example. He mentions Christianity but it has the sense (as it often does in American culture) of being just a synonym of believing in God.

He was formerly “spiritual but not religious”. He now believes in “God”, but I’m not sure what the difference is in his mind. If you listen to the language he uses to talk about God, it’s very impersonal almost as if God is an object or a force (e.g. “oxygen in a submarine”). I don’t think he ever uses a personal pronoun to refer to God. So I’m not sure what the difference is between his “spiritual” belief in “The Universe” and his new belief in “God”.

Much of the video is about political/culture war issues and he frames his faith largely in those terms. I’m afraid that as Christianity becomes more and more identified with one side, it also becomes part of the brand—an identity badge to be worn regardless of actual belief.

He’s clearly been doing some spiritual reflection, and I hope he continues and takes it seriously.
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Pelerin wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:37 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:20 am
I found the video interesting. The faith he describes is rather generic. I don’t recall that he ever mentions the name “Jesus” for example. He mentions Christianity but it has the sense (as it often does in American culture) of being just a synonym of believing in God.

He was formerly “spiritual but not religious”. He now believes in “God”, but I’m not sure what the difference is in his mind. If you listen to the language he uses to talk about God, it’s very impersonal almost as if God is an object or a force (e.g. “oxygen in a submarine”). I don’t think he ever uses a personal pronoun to refer to God. So I’m not sure what the difference is between his “spiritual” belief in “The Universe” and his new belief in “God”.

Much of the video is about political/culture war issues and he frames his faith largely in those terms. I’m afraid that as Christianity becomes more and more identified with one side, it also becomes part of the brand—an identity badge to be worn regardless of actual belief.

He’s clearly been doing some spiritual reflection, and I hope he continues and takes it seriously.
So begins a journey of a lifetime.
He makes me wonder if moral, hard-working people have a harder time (than those at rock-bottom) recognizing their need for more? The world does not tell them! Scriptures describe the wealthy have a nearly impossible time!

i appreciate how he suggested scriptural “praying for godless leaders” .. almost as a teaser .. for scriptural study.

He is married with at least one child. Blessings on them!
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Outsider
Affiliation: Church of Christ

Post by Outsider »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:44 pm 2019 / OP:
.. This thread is meant to be general discussion about “those certain people” who find themselves-and-their-faith, in the public eye in ways most of us never will, and would likely prefer not to be there.

2023 / RUSSELL BRAND

“Russell Brand shares faith's role in overcoming addiction: 'I need God, or I cannot cope in this world'
He's not an orthodox Christian- and he doesn't really claim to be. He's more of a universalist.

But I like Russel.
1 x
1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;

Hebrews 1:14
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Outsider wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:04 pm
temporal1 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:44 pm 2019 / OP:
.. This thread is meant to be general discussion about “those certain people” who find themselves-and-their-faith, in the public eye in ways most of us never will, and would likely prefer not to be there.

2023 / RUSSELL BRAND

“Russell Brand shares faith's role in overcoming addiction: 'I need God, or I cannot cope in this world'
He's not an orthodox Christian- and he doesn't really claim to be. He's more of a universalist.

But I like Russel.
me, too. i enjoy his questions+observations, even his manic mad-man approach.
what trips me up is the profanity and coarseness that so many celebrities seem to believe they are required to deliver.
i send him little notes in “Comments” when i can, asking him to refrain. HE DOESN’T LISTEN TO ME. :shock:

occasionally, he will do a “straight” interview or commentary. they’re great!

there are other celebs who do the same. some have great things to say. ruined with profanity and coarseness.
it’s sad.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Jim Carrey: Shocking Faith Testimony "Suffering Leads to Salvation" / 5:32min
Description:
Dear brothers and sisters,
The extraordinary and moving testimony of Jim Carrey, one of the most beloved actors, touches the heart of each and every one of us. His reflection on suffering and his words about Jesus can serve as an example of faith for all of us. Words that can help us overcome the difficult moments that life presents to us. Let us listen to his profound testimony.
0 x

UNKNOWN