What I like and not like within christian faith and life (so far)

General Christian Theology
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: What I like and not like within christian faith and life (so far)

Post by Valerie »

At first early Jewis Christians continued to observe Sabbath regulations and to worship on the Sabbath. (Acts 13:13-15, 42-44; 18:1-4). But they also met for the celebration of the Holy Eucharist on Sunday (Acts 20:7; 1 Co 16:1-2), called "the Lord's Day: (Rev 1:10), since Jesus rose on a Sunday. St. Ignatius of Antioch, in about AD 107, confirms that Sunday was the main day of worship for the early Church: "They have given up keeping the Sabbath, and now order their lives by the Lord's Day instead-the Day when life first dawned for us, thanks to Him and His death."
The Church continued to recognize Saturday as the "Sabbath"- but obviously by the time Apostle John wrote Revelations, they observed "The Lord's Day" on Sunday, the first day of the week-
Apparently by the guiding of the Holy Spirit who was deposited in, and guided the Church.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Valerie wrote:At first early Jewis Christians continued to observe Sabbath regulations and to worship on the Sabbath. (Acts 13:13-15, 42-44; 18:1-4). But they also met for the celebration of the Holy Eucharist on Sunday (Acts 20:7; 1 Co 16:1-2), called "the Lord's Day: (Rev 1:10), since Jesus rose on a Sunday. St. Ignatius of Antioch, in about AD 107, confirms that Sunday was the main day of worship for the early Church: "They have given up keeping the Sabbath, and now order their lives by the Lord's Day instead-the Day when life first dawned for us, thanks to Him and His death."
The Church continued to recognize Saturday as the "Sabbath"- but obviously by the time Apostle John wrote Revelations, they observed "The Lord's Day" on Sunday, the first day of the week-
Apparently by the guiding of the Holy Spirit who was deposited in, and guided the Church.
I can argue against all your points for the change of day, but that should be kept for another thread if you choose to start one.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Parallel of 10 Commandments with NT teachings
1.Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Matt 4:10; 22:37-40; Mk 12:30-31; Lk 10:27; I Cor 8:4-6; Eph 5:5: IJn 5:21
2. Exo 20:4-6 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image…
Acts 15:20; I Cor 10:7,14; Rms 1:18-32; IICor 6:14-18; Gal 5:19-21
3. Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain…
Col 3:8; Matt 12:31-32; Mk 3:28-29; 7:20-23; Lk 12:10
4. Exo 20:8-11 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy…
Mk 2:27-28; Matt 12:1-8; Lk 6:1-5; Jn 5:10, 17; Heb 4:1-11
5. Exo 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother…
Eph 6:1-3; Matt 19:17-21; Mk 10:19-21; Lk 18:20; IITim 3:2
6. Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
IJn 3:15; Matt 5:21-22; Mk 10:19; Lk 18:20-21; Rms 13:9-10; Ja 2:11;
7. Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Matt 19:3-12,18; Matt 5:27-32; Mk 10:11-12,19; Lk 18:20; Rms 13:9-10
8. Exo 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
Eph 4:28; Matt 19:18; Mk 10:19; Lk 18:20; Rms 13:9
9. Exo 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Matt 15:17-20; Matt 19:18; Mk 10:19; Lk 18:20; Rms 13:9
10. Exo 20:17 Thou shalt not covet…
I Cor 6:10; Eph 5:3-5; Heb 13:5; Mk 7:22; Lk 12:15; Rms 7:7; 13:9; Col 3:5;
ITim 3:3; IThess 2:5; Gal 5:19-21
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ok, let me get this straight: since Paul and the rest of the NT never mentions Sabbath keeping as a virtue nor Sabbath keeping as a sin, that means... we should keep doing it?

Why not keep the rest of the old law?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

And since you keep making this blank assertion:

Where on earth do we see Sabbath keeping prior to the Ten Commandments either in historical record or in scripture?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:And since you keep making this blank assertion:

Where on earth do we see Sabbath keeping prior to the Ten Commandments either in historical record or in scripture?
Genesis 2:2
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote:

That's not a commandment. By the same token, I should breed fowl and stock fish today. We don't feel a compulsion to try to copy what God allegedly did on the days of creation on days 1-6, so I don't follow how we have a commandment to do so on day 7.

And there is zero - zip - zilch tradition amongst the rest of the world for Sabbath day rest. (And we have no evidence Abraham observed the Sabbath, even.) Whereas prohibitions against worshipping other nations' gods, blasphemy, adultery, murder, lying, and so forth are quite common throughout humanity.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:

That's not a commandment.
Nobody said it was. You asked where we see Sabbath keeping prior to the Ten Commandments. This is where.
Josh wrote: By the same token, I should breed fowl and stock fish today. We don't feel a compulsion to try to copy what God allegedly did on the days of creation on days 1-6, so I don't follow how we have a commandment to do so on day 7.
Genesis 2:3 says that the LORD blessed the seventh day and sanctified it. Exodus 20:11 says that the reason for resting on the Sabbath day is because the LORD rested on the seventh day, blessed it and hallowed it.
Josh wrote: And there is zero - zip - zilch tradition amongst the rest of the world for Sabbath day rest. (And we have no evidence Abraham observed the Sabbath, even.) Whereas prohibitions against worshipping other nations' gods, blasphemy, adultery, murder, lying, and so forth are quite common throughout humanity.
It's not traditional Mennonite or Anabaptist tradition to determine God's will by looking at what all the rest of the world does.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I don't think the New Testament emphasizes the 10 commandments.

Yes, teachings by Jesus and others definitely rhyme with the 10 commandments. But what Jesus requires is more, and different. And the orientation is different. We turn to God with confidence and are transformed, living by his power. We do need to see and acknowledge our sin so we can turn to God in humility and be transformed, but we can't get there on our own power, and the New Testament is not about obeying lists of commandments.

On the other hand, if we follow the New Testament, we will also find ourselves obeying the 10 commandments.*

* Except for keeping the Sabbath, which was Saturday, as Gentiles. Are there others that we might not obey?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:

That's not a commandment. By the same token, I should breed fowl and stock fish today. We don't feel a compulsion to try to copy what God allegedly did on the days of creation on days 1-6, so I don't follow how we have a commandment to do so on day 7.

And there is zero - zip - zilch tradition amongst the rest of the world for Sabbath day rest. (And we have no evidence Abraham observed the Sabbath, even.) Whereas prohibitions against worshipping other nations' gods, blasphemy, adultery, murder, lying, and so forth are quite common throughout humanity.
Heb 4:3  For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 
Heb 4:4  For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 
Heb 4:5  And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. 
Heb 4:6  Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: 
Heb 4:7  Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. 
Heb 4:8  For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 
Heb 4:9  There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 
(ACV)  There remains therefore a Sabbath for the people of God.
(ABU_NT)  So then, there remains a Sabbath-rest to the people of God.
(AMP)  So then, there is still awaiting a full and complete Sabbath-rest reserved for the [true] people of God;
(AUV-NT)  [So] then, a Sabbath “rest day” [still] remains for God’s people [i.e., for Christians, in heaven].
(ALT)  So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.
(BBE)  So that there is still a Sabbath-keeping for the people of God.
(CJB)  So there remains a Shabbat-keeping for God's people.
(CENT)  So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God;
(Complete Apostles' Bible)  Then there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.
(CLV)  Consequently a sabbatism is left for the people of God.
(CNT-ND-(eng))  So then a keeping of Sabbath is left to the people of God.
(Darby)  There remains then a sabbatism to the people of God.
(ESV)  So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,
(ISV)  There remains, therefore, a Sabbath rest for the people of God.
(JMNT)  Consequently, a keeping of Sabbath (state of rest) is being left for (to; in) God's people.
etc., etc., etc.
Josh you are so intent on proving that there is no "law" for the people of God that you don't even understand what Sabbath is all about.
0 x