What I like and not like within christian faith and life (so far)

General Christian Theology
plain
Affiliation:

What I like and not like within christian faith and life (so far)

Post by plain »

What I like:
-Faith that Jesus is Messiah and Saviour.
-The prophecies in OT about Jesus, and the fulfillment in NT.
-That the church is spread around the world.
-Prayer.
-Bible study.
-Regular worship.
-Services that in intendent to build up the body of Christ.
-All fine hymns.
-A good mix of new and old songs.
-So many christians help others.
-Plain clothing.
-Head covering.
-People that share the faith person to person, to friends and other known persons (eg. neighbors).
-Humility.
-Contract ethics (not saying other ethics, eg. Natural law, are wrong).

What I don't like:
-Legalism.
-Judge others.
-Only old songs, or only new songs, in a service.
-Too verbose and/or cliché-ridden prayers in public.
-Treaties to unknown people.
-Evangelizing church services and sermons.
-False prophecies, and people who use them to control and/or have power over others.
-Bad church leaders that does not function.
-Too much church activity that is general activity and not specified christian.
-Abortion.
-Luxury
-Focus on sin control, instead of focus on good deeds.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: What I like and not like within christian faith and life (so far)

Post by gcdonner »

plain wrote:What I like:
-Faith that Jesus is Messiah and Saviour.
-The prophecies in OT about Jesus, and the fulfillment in NT.
-That the church is spread around the world.
-Prayer.
-Bible study.
-Regular worship.
-Services that in intendent to build up the body of Christ.
-All fine hymns.
-A good mix of new and old songs.
-So many christians help others.
-Plain clothing.
-Head covering.
-People that share the faith person to person, to friends and other known persons (eg. neighbors).
-Humility.
-Contract ethics (not saying other ethics, eg. Natural law, are wrong).

What I don't like:
-Legalism.
-Judge others.
-Only old songs, or only new songs, in a service.
-Too verbose and/or cliché-ridden prayers in public.
-Treaties to unknown people.
-Evangelizing church services and sermons.
-False prophecies, and people who use them to control and/or have power over others.
-Bad church leaders that does not function.
-Too much church activity that is general activity and not specified christian.
-Abortion.
-Luxury
-Focus on sin control, instead of focus on good deeds.
Christianity is a "Heinz 57 varieties" religion, with all sizes, shapes and colors as well as forms, so there are bound to be things we won't like from a personal perspective as well as from a biblical perspective.

Just an observation on one of your dislikes. legalism. How do you define legalism? What you may think it is, is often viewed differently from a person from a different background or perspective
Sounds to me like you have spent a considerable amount of time in evangelical circles, like the Baptists that I came from...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

legalism... we all are on a spectrum... I like Michael Sattler's tract on legalism. http://www.thegodlyhome.org/articels/17 ... or-want-to
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Soloist wrote:legalism... we all are on a spectrum... I like Michael Sattler's tract on legalism. http://www.thegodlyhome.org/articels/17 ... or-want-to
Thank you for that link. I haven't seen that one before. :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Soloist wrote:legalism... we all are on a spectrum... I like Michael Sattler's tract on legalism. http://www.thegodlyhome.org/articels/17 ... or-want-to
Basically the story I tell of two of my school teachers, asking for the same help. The one I did because I was afraid of her and didn't want any trouble, the second was because I loved her (I was a first grader at the time...) and would have done anything for her.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

gcdonner wrote:How do you define legalism?
Then you put law over gospel.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

plain wrote:
gcdonner wrote:How do you define legalism?
Then you put law over gospel.
But the NC is based on the "law" written in the heart isn't it?
Legalism is when you are compelled to do something by outside forces and outside motivations.
If I was required to post on MN to gain salvation, then that would be law... :shock: :o
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

gcdonner wrote:But the NC is based on the "law" written in the heart isn't it?
Legalism is when you are compelled to do something by outside forces and outside motivations.
If I was required to post on MN to gain salvation, then that would be law... :shock: :o
I think you live in MN. I live in NC. So between the two of us, we should be able to figure this out.

But seriously, I don't think it's just whether you do it from your heart. Galatians tells us that certain religious practices, once used to gain righteousness, are out of bounds for the Christian, and warns us against trusting in the law - which was given to us as a tutor. It may have once been a good tutor, but putting ourselves under that tutelage, no matter how willingly, is the wrong approach.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Bootstrap wrote:
I think you live in MN. I live in NC. So between the two of us, we should be able to figure this out.

But seriously, I don't think it's just whether you do it from your heart. Galatians tells us that certain religious practices, once used to gain righteousness, are out of bounds for the Christian, and warns us against trusting in the law - which was given to us as a tutor. It may have once been a good tutor, but putting ourselves under that tutelage, no matter how willingly, is the wrong approach.
So then, why do you go to church at all? Why do you read your bible? Why do you pray? Why do you do anything that is religiously related?
Paul also asks, "Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?"
Violation of the law is sin, how to we not violate the law, by obeying it from the heart.
Rom 6:17  But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. 
Rom 7:22  For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 
Rom 8:4  That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 
Heb 8:10  For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: 
I guess we need to find someone in between to figure this all out, right? Maybe someone from PA? :mrgreen:
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

gcdonner wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:

So then, why do you go to church at all? Why do you read your bible? Why do you pray? Why do you do anything that is religiously related?
Paul also asks, "Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?"
Violation of the law is sin, how to we not violate the law, by obeying it from the heart.
Rom 6:17  But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. 
Rom 7:22  For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 
Rom 8:4  That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 
Heb 8:10  For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: 
I guess we need to find someone in between to figure this all out, right? Maybe someone from PA? :mrgreen:
I might be from PA, but not sure I can help you figure this out! :mrgreen:

This can be a rather uncomfortable subject, as so many people confuse obedience with legalism. I've met too many people in life who want to fix the problem with legalism by saying "It doesn't really matter what you do, as long as your heart is in the right place." They forget that the easiest way to tell where the heart is, is by looking at whether a person is living in obedience. Jesus said "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed."
Ephesians 2:1-10 wrote:And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
0 x