Church Discipline

General Christian Theology
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Church Discipline

Post by Neto »

So would there be agreement with a statement that says that the purpose of church discipline is two-fold, redemption of the sinner & purification of the Church? I just can't see how an impure Church can assist in redeeming anyone. But purification should first of all seek to purify the members, including the erring ones. That, to me, is redemption.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Church Discipline

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote:So would there be agreement with a statement that says that the purpose of church discipline is two-fold, redemption of the sinner & purification of the Church? I just can't see how an impure Church can assist in redeeming anyone. But purification should first of all seek to purify the members, including the erring ones. That, to me, is redemption.
I would agree, and say that the best place to start purification is in our own hearts. Next up we need to address the elephants in the room with "members" in obvious sin.
0 x