Ecclesiastes

General Christian Theology
PositiveSeeker
Affiliation: Non-Denominational

Re: Ecclesiastes

Postby PositiveSeeker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:21 pm

Actually, his conclusion was to fear God and keep his commandments. The difference between the two is significant, and I will need to add a chapter or postlude to my book to deal with that. I think that this aptly portrays the difference between the two covenants.

You are correct.
0 x

lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Ecclesiastes

Postby lesterb » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:33 pm

PositiveSeeker wrote:
Actually, his conclusion was to fear God and keep his commandments. The difference between the two is significant, and I will need to add a chapter or postlude to my book to deal with that. I think that this aptly portrays the difference between the two covenants.

You are correct.

Just to enlarge a little on this, here is something I wrote to my reviewers....
Solomon’s answer, in the end, was “Fear God and keep His commandments.” But Jesus said “If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.” There is a substantial difference between the two perspectives.

I did notice that there are about ten OT verses that speak of loving God, too. However, these are mostly in the form of a command to love, like “I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply.” The NT takes a different perspective, in the form of an invitation such as “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”

By the end of the book, I’d like to be focusing on a God who loves us and invites us to love him and serve him, rather than a distant authority that we’d better love and obey, or else.
0 x
When a man's ways please the LORD, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. (Pro 16:7 ESV)

Return to “General Theology”