The Ministry of the Holy Spirit

General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The Ministry of the Holy Spirit

Post by Josh »

Pentecostal views on the gifts were invented in 1903. A mature discussion of the gifts will focus on doctrine and church practice from the era of Jesus’ time through 1902.

Modern day Charismatic practice seems to be very lacking in fruits of the spirit. I have a bit more tolerance for Oneness Pentecostals since their fruit is quite a bit better.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:Pentecostal views on the gifts were invented in 1903. A mature discussion of the gifts will focus on doctrine and church practice from the era of Jesus’ time through 1902.

Modern day Charismatic practice seems to be very lacking in fruits of the spirit. I have a bit more tolerance for Oneness Pentecostals since their fruit is quite a bit better.
The Oneness Pentecostal people teach that speaking in tongues is a necessary manifestation of the Holy Spirit and without it, a person is not truly saved. They also insist one must be baptized by immersion in Jesus name and not according to Mathew 28:19. I am quite familiar with this tribe of Christianity as I married a UPC minister's daughter. They tried to get me re-baptised in Jesus name.

With that said, I agree that there are some very good, fruit bearing believers in Oneness Pentecostalism as there are in Charismatics, Evangelicals, Anabaptists, Reform, etc, etc and find it amazing how God accommodates such different beliefs we have in our various tribes in Christianity. He appears to be much more tolerant than we are with one another in His Church. He even tolerates the Holdeman tribe. :P My bad. :oops:
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

I had forgotten this thread but wanted to say we had visited in December and also been viewing the services regularly. We met Pastor Weaver as he came up to meet us. Had a really good talk with him.

Looking back over this thread I will say most wo MN en their cover their heads & still haven't seen pants on women. Pastor Weaver did say they do not have requirements, and I believe it is because of His Amish background. Every Tuesday he and another pastor there have a "Pastor's Discussion" which you can view via YouTube. We really appreciate these discussions and helped understand why & how & when they arrived where they are. He just explained people come there from many cultures, so not just Anabaptist. Im glad the Church was recommended to us, too far really, but thankfully can view live.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Neto wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:12 pm Reuben Beachy (if the same one, wife's name is Linda) was a member at our congregation years ago, good friend of mine, but I don't bump into him much anymore. They went with the 'outreach' congregation where all three of our children now attend, then later moved on.
But speaking of Oasis Chapel - someone told me recently that the group that took over the small church house in Benton is a group from Oasis that wanted to go a bit different direction, more 'conservative', I think.
Over four years later, how is this new church doing, do you know?
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Valerie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:56 pm
Neto wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:12 pm Reuben Beachy (if the same one, wife's name is Linda) was a member at our congregation years ago, good friend of mine, but I don't bump into him much anymore. They went with the 'outreach' congregation where all three of our children now attend, then later moved on.
But speaking of Oasis Chapel - someone told me recently that the group that took over the small church house in Benton is a group from Oasis that wanted to go a bit different direction, more 'conservative', I think.
No, I've never visited there, and don't hear anything about them. I go past there from time to time, & I think it's still the same group there. Our former pastor (retired) was going to visit there, but I haven't asked him about it recently.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Neto wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:33 pm
Valerie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:56 pm
No, I've never visited there, and don't hear anything about them. I go past there from time to time, & I think it's still the same group there. Our former pastor (retired) was going to visit there, but I haven't asked him about it recently.
Thank you Neto
0 x