The Ministry of the Holy Spirit

General Christian Theology
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

The Ministry of the Holy Spirit

Post by Valerie »

I mentioned that we visited Oasis Tabernacle (Sugarcreek OH) a couple of weeks ago-

They are having this 3 day event:
Was wondering your thoughts/opinions on this? We loved the message we heard when visiting- do you consider this a valid ministry?

3-Day preaching and praise event highlighting the ministry of the Holy Spirit.

JULY 26 Friday evening
7:00pm · Welcome
7:15pm · Oasis Singers
8:00pm · Waiting for the Promise · Reuben Beachy

JULY 27 Saturday
10:00am · The Necessity of the Holy Spirit · Andy Miller
11:00am · The Upper Room Atmosphere · Jason Schlabach

6:00pm · Oasis Singers
7:00pm · Walking in the Holy Spirit · Doug Nolt
8:00pm · The Baptism of the Holy Spirit · Reuben Beachy

JULY 28 Sunday
9:30am · Oasis Singers
10:30am · The Release of the Holy Spirit · Leroy Miller
0 x
Valerie

Re: The Ministry of the Holy Spirit

Post by Valerie »

Valerie wrote:I mentioned that we visited Oasis Tabernacle (Sugarcreek OH) a couple of weeks ago-

They are having this 3 day event:
Was wondering your thoughts/opinions on this? We loved the message we heard when visiting- do you consider this a valid ministry?

3-Day preaching and praise event highlighting the ministry of the Holy Spirit.

JULY 26 Friday evening
7:00pm · Welcome
7:15pm · Oasis Singers
8:00pm · Waiting for the Promise · Reuben Beachy

JULY 27 Saturday
10:00am · The Necessity of the Holy Spirit · Andy Miller
11:00am · The Upper Room Atmosphere · Jason Schlabach

6:00pm · Oasis Singers
7:00pm · Walking in the Holy Spirit · Doug Nolt
8:00pm · The Baptism of the Holy Spirit · Reuben Beachy

JULY 28 Sunday
9:30am · Oasis Singers
10:30am · The Release of the Holy Spirit · Leroy Miller
We attended last night. My husband & I both felt it was so much like being in our former denomination but in a much less worldy setting. The women wore coverings of some type, (our denomination did not), the men were dressed decently & respectfully (I realize this is all outward, but conveying the difference in the 'setting') and we appreciated what was said & taught. It's difficult when you come from decades of a belief in the Holy Spirit (as in the book of Acts & Corinthians) and then go to a denomination that denies the ministry/power/manifestation of the Holy Spirit-
To be honest, my husband is hesitant to go that direction-again- after seeing the direction of the more worldly Pentecostal Church today- but it was so refreshing to see an enthusiasm and belief that aligns with Scripture by a people who also obey all the other passages, & I suppose that would be because of their Anabaptist roots-
My main reason for wanting to go was to see the difference between mainstream Pentecostal/Charismatic- and one that was originally conservative Anabaptists who do believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit for 'today'.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Reuben Beachy (if the same one, wife's name is Linda) was a member at our congregation years ago, good friend of mine, but I don't bump into him much anymore. They went with the 'outreach' congregation where all three of our children now attend, then later moved on.
But speaking of Oasis Chapel - someone told me recently that the group that took over the small church house in Benton is a group from Oasis that wanted to go a bit different direction, more 'conservative', I think.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Neto wrote:Reuben Beachy (if the same one, wife's name is Linda) was a member at our congregation years ago, good friend of mine, but I don't bump into him much anymore. They went with the 'outreach' congregation where all three of our children now attend, then later moved on.
But speaking of Oasis Chapel - someone told me recently that the group that took over the small church house in Benton is a group from Oasis that wanted to go a bit different direction, more 'conservative', I think.
I don't know that much about the Church history- it was just recommended to us years ago by a Beachy Amish Mennonite friend- his family lived in Arthur IL, we became acquainted via MAP Ministry as Ernie (our BA friend) wrote for MAP years ago- he apparently was into Wayne Weaver's ministry/messages-
Pastor Weaver has a long history- apparently in Sarasota FL some time ago too- GC Donner of our MN forum used to be with his ministry if I remember right.

So I'm trying to understand what you mean by 'they wanted to go more conservative'- you mean in doctrine? Do you know what the differences are Neto? This was probably one of the most 'different' services I've attended in a long time- we don't hear preaching on the baptism of the Holy Spirit- where I am 'from' for decades it was a common belief. There were a lot of people at last night's meeting (which was 4 hours!) that were older than us, and really- all ages- to see older people that had obvious Mennonite or Amish past (by appearance) I must say was unusual-but the praise & worship was uplifting-
The teaching- we hadn't heard people talk about prophecy, tongues or visions for quite some time having left Pentecostal- it really does put one in the position of 'testing the spirits' and I thought how easy it is to dismiss rather than test. Your friend spoke last night- I imagine a lot of folks would find it difficult to agree with his belief but it was all grounded in Scripture- the gifts- but apparently it has cost him.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

The person who told me didn't give specifics. I had been asking around about who took over that old church house in Benton, and that is all I was told.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Neto wrote:Reuben Beachy (if the same one, wife's name is Linda)
Different guy, I think; this one's bio is here.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ohio jones wrote:
Neto wrote:Reuben Beachy (if the same one, wife's name is Linda)
Different guy, I think; this one's bio is here.
How did you know which Reuben Beachy was the speaker at Oasis Tabernacle?
(thanks for the bio, it caused me to read all the bio's on that site- I experienced a couple red flags among the group- wonder if they all have to be of the same mind in that group?)
0 x
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Post by QuietObserver »

Leroy Miller is the pastor at Bethesda Christian Fellowship, where Steve Stutzman is overseer. Leroy Miller hosts Youth Alive, a weekend youth rally. I watched the livestream recently, and it didn't appear much different from any other evangelical youth rally. A few of the girls wore head coverings, but the majority didn't. One of the speakers was a young woman with no headcovering, jewelry, wearing pants. I don't think it's possible to marry conservative Anabaptism and charismatic Christianity.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Valerie wrote:How did you know which Reuben Beachy was the speaker at Oasis Tabernacle?
(thanks for the bio, it caused me to read all the bio's on that site- I experienced a couple red flags among the group- wonder if they all have to be of the same mind in that group?)
Hey, I know things, and I know people, and I know things about people. But in this case, as far as I know, Reuben is the only direct link between HPIM and the Oasis network.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

QuietObserver wrote:Leroy Miller is the pastor at Bethesda Christian Fellowship, where Steve Stutzman is overseer. Leroy Miller hosts Youth Alive, a weekend youth rally. I watched the livestream recently, and it didn't appear much different from any other evangelical youth rally. A few of the girls wore head coverings, but the majority didn't. One of the speakers was a young woman with no headcovering, jewelry, wearing pants. I don't think it's possible to marry conservative Anabaptism and charismatic Christianity.
Can you please post the link to what you saw? A lot of youth may have invited unchurched friends- so I wouldn't be sure they abstain from teaching to cover. At Oasis Tabernacle, almost all women cover, I didn't see any pants or jewelry on women, although I wasn't there to look for/at such things but to be there to learn & find out what they teach on the Ministry of the Holy Spirit. And to join in praise & worship of God
0 x