The Ministry of the Holy Spirit

General Christian Theology
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Re: The Ministry of the Holy Spirit

Post by QuietObserver »

Valerie wrote: Can you please post the link to what you saw? A lot of youth may have invited unchurched friends- so I wouldn't be sure they abstain from teaching to cover. At Oasis Tabernacle, almost all women cover, I didn't see any pants or jewelry on women, although I wasn't there to look for/at such things but to be there to learn & find out what they teach on the Ministry of the Holy Spirit. And to join in praise & worship of God
The videos are on their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/youthaliveencounter. Note that I said one of the speakers doesn't cover, etc. I'm guessing they wouldn't allow unchurched friends to be a speaker.
I'm not trying to throw rocks at them. I guess my point is if if you want to be a charismatic, go join a non-plain charismatic church. The 'Anabapticostals' aren't going to hang on to their Anabaptist distinctive.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote:
QuietObserver wrote:Leroy Miller is the pastor at Bethesda Christian Fellowship, where Steve Stutzman is overseer. Leroy Miller hosts Youth Alive, a weekend youth rally. I watched the livestream recently, and it didn't appear much different from any other evangelical youth rally. A few of the girls wore head coverings, but the majority didn't. One of the speakers was a young woman with no headcovering, jewelry, wearing pants. I don't think it's possible to marry conservative Anabaptism and charismatic Christianity.
Can you please post the link to what you saw? A lot of youth may have invited unchurched friends- so I wouldn't be sure they abstain from teaching to cover. At Oasis Tabernacle, almost all women cover, I didn't see any pants or jewelry on women, although I wasn't there to look for/at such things but to be there to learn & find out what they teach on the Ministry of the Holy Spirit. And to join in praise & worship of God
The group at Oasis Tabernacle is moving in a more liberal direction, such as members watching movies or Netflix TV shows at home, women wearing makeup, and so forth.

Youth Alive has virtually no non-Anabaptist background youth who go to it. I have a few friends in those circles and most of them are discarding the covering and starting to wear normal worldly clothes.

Sorry for the disappointment.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

QuietObserver wrote:
Valerie wrote: Can you please post the link to what you saw? A lot of youth may have invited unchurched friends- so I wouldn't be sure they abstain from teaching to cover. At Oasis Tabernacle, almost all women cover, I didn't see any pants or jewelry on women, although I wasn't there to look for/at such things but to be there to learn & find out what they teach on the Ministry of the Holy Spirit. And to join in praise & worship of God
The videos are on their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/youthaliveencounter. Note that I said one of the speakers doesn't cover, etc. I'm guessing they wouldn't allow unchurched friends to be a speaker.
I'm not trying to throw rocks at them. I guess my point is if if you want to be a charismatic, go join a non-plain charismatic church. The 'Anabapticostals' aren't going to hang on to their Anabaptist distinctive.
If one wants Pentecostal doctrines, speaking in tongues, etc., but wants a more conservative lifestyle, modest dress, not attending movies, and so on, one would be better off with Oneness Pentecostal circles, whose members number in the millions and who have very solid outreach and evangelism to the world.
0 x
DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

Post by DrWojo »

Josh wrote:
Valerie wrote:
QuietObserver wrote:Leroy Miller is the pastor at Bethesda Christian Fellowship, where Steve Stutzman is overseer. Leroy Miller hosts Youth Alive, a weekend youth rally. I watched the livestream recently, and it didn't appear much different from any other evangelical youth rally. A few of the girls wore head coverings, but the majority didn't. One of the speakers was a young woman with no headcovering, jewelry, wearing pants. I don't think it's possible to marry conservative Anabaptism and charismatic Christianity.
Can you please post the link to what you saw? A lot of youth may have invited unchurched friends- so I wouldn't be sure they abstain from teaching to cover. At Oasis Tabernacle, almost all women cover, I didn't see any pants or jewelry on women, although I wasn't there to look for/at such things but to be there to learn & find out what they teach on the Ministry of the Holy Spirit. And to join in praise & worship of God
The group at Oasis Tabernacle is moving in a more liberal direction, such as members watching movies or Netflix TV shows at home, women wearing makeup, and so forth.

Youth Alive has virtually no non-Anabaptist background youth who go to it. I have a few friends in those circles and most of them are discarding the covering and starting to wear normal worldly clothes.

Sorry for the disappointment.
I’m not half as disappointed as I would have been if I heard you took selfies with your worldly friends. :hug:
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
DrWojo

Post by DrWojo »

Josh wrote:
QuietObserver wrote:
If one wants Pentecostal doctrines, speaking in tongues, etc., but wants a more conservative lifestyle, modest dress, not attending movies, and so on, one would be better off with Oneness Pentecostal circles, whose members number in the millions and who have very solid outreach and evangelism to the world.
How would one be better off embracing a demonic doctrine that denies the Trinity?!
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Post by QuietObserver »

Josh wrote: Youth Alive has virtually no non-Anabaptist background youth who go to it. I have a few friends in those circles and most of them are discarding the covering and starting to wear normal worldly clothes.

What are their excuses/rationale for dropping the covering, etc? And are the leaders okay with this?
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:
QuietObserver wrote:
Thank you bit we are not "Oneness" in doctrine so that is a huge disagreement with us- Oasis doesn't appear worldly, they do cover, and are Scripturally sound in the Trinity, and Scripturally sound in Gifts of the Spirit, however hubby is not drawn to get back into a Church that promotes Spiritual gifts even though he believes in them but I really appreciated both services we attended. We are vehemently opposed to denying gifts, as Scripture teaches them, and teaches against forbidding them
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

It was interesting to me that among Evangelicals in Brazil, the most conservative dress standards were to be found in the Pentecostal churches. (No coverings, but modest dress and uncut hair for women; no shorts, etc for men, and no involvement in sports, including soccer, which puts them on a steep uphill road, as Brazilians are super into 'futebol".)

Edited to add: Well, there WERE also the Regular Baptists, and Bride of Christ Baptists. We did language school in a place run by the GARB (Regular Baptists), and worshiped in their services.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Valerie wrote:
Josh wrote:
QuietObserver wrote: The videos are on their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/youthaliveencounter. Note that I said one of the speakers doesn't cover, etc. I'm guessing they wouldn't allow unchurched friends to be a speaker.
Thank you bit we are not "Oneness" in doctrine so that is a huge disagreement with us- Oasis doesn't appear worldly, they do cover, and are Scripturally sound in the Trinity, and Scripturally sound in Gifts of the Spirit, however hubby is not drawn to get back into a Church that promotes Spiritual gifts even though he believes in them but I really appreciated both services we attended. We are vehemently opposed to denying gifts, as Scripture teaches them, and teaches against forbidding them
Curious - 'Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy.' - 1 Cor 14:1

Denying and forbidding but what about 'eagerly desiring'. Is this any less of an instruction than, say, wearing a head covering ? It would seem to me that the impact of having supernatural spiritual gifts operating would have more impact than whether or not a woman wears a head covering.

My guess is that most Anabaptist groups do not encourage and provide opportunity for spiritual gifts to operate in their churches due to the mis-use of and phony displays of some charismatics that are not of the Holy Spirit. Seems when the supernatural is involved, the 'safe way' is to go with things that are not of a supernatural nature.

Yes ? No ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
DrWojo

Post by DrWojo »

Sudsy wrote:
Valerie wrote:
Josh wrote:
Curious - 'Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy.' - 1 Cor 14:1

Denying and forbidding but what about 'eagerly desiring'. Is this any less of an instruction than, say, wearing a head covering ? It would seem to me that the impact of having supernatural spiritual gifts operating would have more impact than whether or not a woman wears a head covering.

My guess is that most Anabaptist groups do not encourage and provide opportunity for spiritual gifts to operate in their churches due to the mis-use of and phony displays of some charismatics that are not of the Holy Spirit. Seems when the supernatural is involved, the 'safe way' is to go with things that are not of a supernatural nature.

Yes ? No ?
:up: Absolutely — Let’s also remember the ‘safe way’ is to also limit the Sovereignty of God whenever and wherever else it makes Anabaptists uncomfortable. :oops:
0 x