Man: Inherently good or bad?

General Christian Theology
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Man: Inherently good or bad?

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I got into a discussion with some churched people my age the other day... the topic being whether or not man is inherently, naturally good or bad.
What's you stance? Scriptures? How would you refute a claim that we come into the world good?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

Re: Man: Inherently good or bad?

Post by DrWojo »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I got into a discussion with some churched people my age the other day... the topic being whether or not man is inherently, naturally good or bad.
What's you stance?
Man is born with a sinful, utterly depraved nature incapable of even choosing right unless God in His mercy intervenes.
Scriptures? How would you refute a claim that we come into the world good?
Scriptures: * Genesis 8:21 - And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.
* Psalm 51:5 - Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
* Psalm 58:3 - The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.
* Ephesians 2
1 Corinthians 2:14 - But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Dordrecht Confession, Article 6 wrote:We believe and confess, that, since the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth, and, therefore, prone to all unrighteousness, sin, and wickedness, the first lesson of the precious New Testament of the Son of God is repentance and reformation of life.
God has intervened; Christ has called us to repentance and the amendment of life.

If we hear the call of Christ and obey him, we can bring forth fruits meet for repentance and become those who do righteousness and are righteous, even as He is righteous.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

Is it just that one small part of good in us that allows us to respond with a yes to the call to repentance?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

AnthonyMartin wrote:Is it just that one small part of good in us that allows us to respond with a yes to the call to repentance?
The "small part of good" in us is the image of God. Gen. 1:27, Mark 12:17, 1 Cor 15:49, 2 Cor 3:18
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
AnthonyMartin

Post by AnthonyMartin »

ohio jones wrote:
AnthonyMartin wrote:Is it just that one small part of good in us that allows us to respond with a yes to the call to repentance?
The "small part of good" in us is the image of God. Gen. 1:27, Mark 12:17, 1 Cor 15:49, 2 Cor 3:18
I would argue that is no small part.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Man is born with a sinful, utterly depraved nature incapable of even choosing right unless God in His mercy intervenes.
[video]https://www.wikihow.com/video/c/cc/Care ... 3.360p.mp4[/video]
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

AnthonyMartin wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
I would argue that is no small part.
So would you argue that with that of God in us - no small part - that man is then inherently good?
0 x
AnthonyMartin

Post by AnthonyMartin »

No argument from me yet on "inherently". Was waiting to see what everyone else had to say :D
0 x
DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

Post by DrWojo »

“In connection with the old creation, God did all without any assistants. But in the far more stupendous work of the new creation, it is intimated by the Arminian evangelism “of our day that He needs the sinner’s co-operation. Really, it comes to this—God is represented as helping man to save himself: the sinner must begin the work by becoming willing, and then God will “complete the business. Whereas, none but the Spirit can make him willing in the day of His power (Psa 110:3).”

Excerpt From: Arthur W. Pink. “Present Day Evangelism.”
Arminian Grace
(To the tune of Amazing Grace)

Arminian "grace!"
How strange the sound,
Salvation hinged on me.
I once was lost
then turned around,
Was blind then chose to see.

What "grace" is it
that calls for choice,
Made from some good within?
That part that wills
to heed God's voice,
Proved stronger than my sin.

through many ardent gospel pleas,
I sat with heart of stone.
But then some hidden good in me,
Propelled me toward my home.

When we've been there
ten thousand years,
Because of what we've done,
We've no less days
to sing our praise,
Than when we first begun.
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown