Question- an odd one (I guess)

General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Question- an odd one (I guess)

Post by Josh »

The most obvious example of a Christian polygamist is one in a polygamous culture (common in places like South Africa or Malawi) who has multiple wives, children with each wife, and then converts to Christianity.
0 x
DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

Post by DrWojo »

Josh wrote:The most obvious example of a Christian polygamist is one in a polygamous culture (common in places like South Africa or Malawi) who has multiple wives, children with each wife, and then converts to Christianity.
When a Kleptomaniac (impulsive shoplifter or burglar) converts to Christianity, can he keep his spoils that he stole from others? Can one addicted to substances continue to use them after conversion? So why should a converted Polygamist continue to live with multiple wives? Can he continue to marry more?

Likewise, Jesus said in Luke 16:18, "Whosoever putteth away his wife and marrieth another committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery. 'Committeth' is a present tense verb: the only way to be free of that sin is to confess and forsake it. 1Corinthians 6:9-10 further carries the thought that 'adulterers . . . shall [not] inherit the kingdom of God.'
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:The most obvious example of a Christian polygamist is one in a polygamous culture (common in places like South Africa or Malawi) who has multiple wives, children with each wife, and then converts to Christianity.
They TRY to live it down, but, Mormons once allowed polygamy. Mid 1800’s.
Mormons experienced substantial attacks early-on, so serious, the governor of Illinois asked them to leave the state. They agreed, and left for the Mexican Territory of Utah. Their story continues.

i read, when polygamy was allowed, it was strictly overseen by their church leaders.
It had to be approved. The man had to prove he could provide for each wife and resulting children. i do not know all details. but, if i have read correctly, MOST Mormons never participated in polygamy.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Right... married. Not just some perverted open-ended love life
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”
Polygamy falls where...? If you condemn those who practice it, you must do so entirely.... There goes Abraham :wave:
0 x
EJM
Affiliation: Catholic,(not Roman)

Post by EJM »

DrWojo wrote:
When a Kleptomaniac (impulsive shoplifter or burglar) converts to Christianity, can he keep his spoils that he stole from others? Can one addicted to substances continue to use them after conversion? So why should a converted Polygamist continue to live with multiple wives? Can he continue to marry more?

Likewise, Jesus said in Luke 16:18, "Whosoever putteth away his wife and marrieth another committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery. 'Committeth' is a present tense verb: the only way to be free of that sin is to confess and forsake it. 1Corinthians 6:9-10 further carries the thought that 'adulterers . . . shall [not] inherit the kingdom of God.'
Can anyone find the scripture "Thou shalt not have more than one wife"? It says they twain shall be one flesh, but I can't seem to find the above mentioned verse. Haven't been able to locate it.
Interestingly, adultery is always a man with someone else's wife.
An unmarried women and a married man is fornication, (unless he divorces his wife first)
An unmarried man and a married woman is adultery.
The story is told of the boy that asked, Dad, why don't men have more than one wife like they did in the bible?
Dad's answer, Son, just thank the Lord the law protects those to stupid to protect themselves.
This also is my opinion. :angel
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Valerie wrote:
Wade wrote:
Valerie wrote:Interesting- so how do you polygamy was practiced before the flood? Also- we don't read where God was against it do we?
I read it as God always intended for one man and one woman to be one flesh:
Genesis 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
For me that leaves no room for polygamy...
Yes- we know it was His original intention- what I meant was, with all His Holy ones who had more than one wife- do we read where He specifically addressed if and condemned it?
Thinking of Abraham, was that an exercise in godliness...or selfishness?
Do we not see the consequences of Abraham's choice still to-day?
Did God condemn Abraham's choice? Did it turn out to be the best choice?
Wasn't it a case where Abraham's faith in God temporarily slipped? Was that a good thing?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

JimFoxvog wrote:[bible]deut 25,5[/bible]
This seems to command polygamy in a certain situation.

[bible]deut 21,15-17[/bible]
Here clearly polygamy is accepted.

Another thought from something I read from sociology: in a culture where women almost need to be taken care of by a man, and many men die in battles, polygamy makes sense as a way to provide for the women.
The above is all true, but I believe the goals and requirements God had for OT national Israel are different than the goals and requirements He has for the church to-day.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
EJM
Affiliation: Catholic,(not Roman)

Post by EJM »

Can anyone here say that Abraham's polygamous relationship with Hagar wasn't mostly Sarah's fault? (Gen 6)
It turned out badly though, and has gotten worse.
Abraham's son Ishmael, along with Esau's descendants are the Arabic people. And they positively hate the Jews.
Strife and war ever since.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

So you're opposition is based on how you think God's expectations have changed form the OT to the NT...

This is an area that is not bound hard and fast.

Do you think polygamist who convert should divorce all but one wife??
0 x