Hypocrites

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Hypocrites

Post by Bootstrap »

This thread has rules:
  • Do not accuse anyone of hypocrisy, or anything else. Not directly, not indirectly.
  • In each post, take one or more of the scriptures in the list, and say something about what it means to be a hypocrite, and what the passage tells you about how to avoid being a hypocrite.
  • Try to base your opinions solidly on these passages, not your gut feelings.
  • No more than one post per person per day (I find this helps us hear from the people who tend to speak less, and take more time to reflect before speaking)
Now to the challenge: the Bible has a lot to say about hypocrisy. What is hypocrisy? What is the opposite of hypocrisy? What do these passages say about hypocrisy?

https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearc ... ersion=ESV
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: Hypocrites

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:This thread has rules:
  • Do not accuse anyone of hypocrisy, or anything else. Not directly, not indirectly.
  • In each post, take one or more of the scriptures in the list, and say something about what it means to be a hypocrite, and what the passage tells you about how to avoid being a hypocrite.
  • Try to base your opinions solidly on these passages, not your gut feelings.
  • No more than one post per person per day (I find this helps us hear from the people who tend to speak less, and take more time to reflect before speaking)
Now to the challenge: the Bible has a lot to say about hypocrisy. What is hypocrisy? What is the opposite of hypocrisy? What do these passages say about hypocrisy?

https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearc ... ersion=ESV
Scary thing to me is that hypocrites are not necessarily doing the wrong thing.
Matthew 23:23
“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Hypocrites

Post by JimFoxvog »

Bootstrap wrote:What is hypocrisy? What is the opposite of hypocrisy? What do these passages say about hypocrisy?
I'm looking at this one from the Sermon on the Mount:
[bible]mat 6,5[/bible]
Hypocrisy is acting from false motives. One pretends to be doing something holy, while actually doing something for self-promotion. The next verse shows the opposite:
[bible]mat 6,6[/bible]
So these verses are saying God will not reward hypocrisy, but sincerity, which I see as the opposite.
0 x