Christians and tattoos

General Christian Theology
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Christians and tattoos

Post by gcdonner »

There seems to be an increasing number of "christians" who are wearing tattoos these days.
What is a biblical answer to this.
IMO it is merely a mimicking of the world and seeking acceptance from the world around us, ie, being "of the world".
What say ye?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Christians and tattoos

Post by RZehr »

No big deal if someone has one, unless it is distracting.
But I’d discourage anyone from getting one, and forbid my children from getting one.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I would say that if the markings predate conversion, I wouldn't have any problems with it, but would in no way encourage or approve of a Christian getting one, or an additional one. (I also don't think we should "play around the edges" of this, either, like with face painting, or temporary tattoos.) I would rather help a marked up person get them removed, than support them getting a 'converted' one.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

gcdonner wrote:There seems to be an increasing number of "christians" who are wearing tattoos these days.
I don't like tattoos, but I don't like those quote marks either. I really wouldn't doubt someone's faith simply because they have a tattoo. As a certified Old Coot, I'm happy to advise people to avoid getting tattoos.

Tattoos have become much more common recently, and I am seeing very clean-cut Christians with tattoos. I know one Mennonite who had a dove tattooed on her to symbolize her faith. And it's actually kind of tasteful.

A swastika tattoo or a death's head or whatever would feel quite different to me ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Mennogal
Affiliation: Budding Mennonite

Post by Mennogal »

Bootstrap wrote:
gcdonner wrote:There seems to be an increasing number of "christians" who are wearing tattoos these days.
I don't like tattoos, but I don't like those quote marks either. I really wouldn't doubt someone's faith simply because they have a tattoo. As a certified Old Coot, I'm happy to advise people to avoid getting tattoos.

Tattoos have become much more common recently, and I am seeing very clean-cut Christians with tattoos. I know one Mennonite who had a dove tattooed on her to symbolize her faith. And it's actually kind of tasteful.

A swastika tattoo or a death's head or whatever would feel quite different to me ...
I have tattoos... does that make me a bad person???
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I don't agree w Christians getting tattoos... It all seems like a degree of the antinomianism that so many Christians love to embrace. "God doesn't care if I ______" is their mantra for dress, music, etc., and it throws any message of practicing holiness out of the window.

Not the biggest deal, but I wouldn't encourage it.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

Similarly, I wouldn't encourage it, but I think that obsessing over fine details isn't good for anyone. I wouldn't want my kids getting tattoos, but if an adult in my congregation had one (I've seen a fair amount of crosses tattooed on arms,) I would make sure that my own opinions did not lead me to think less of the person with the tattoo.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Mennogal wrote:I have tattoos... does that make me a bad person???
I don't. Does that make me a good person?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
PastorRich
Affiliation: Hummm....

Post by PastorRich »

I've got three of them. Each one holds a special meaning. Has lead to many meaningful conversations concerning my Christian faith. Been a Christian for thirty years and just got them about two years ago. I am thinking of getting a woody the woodpecker tat next! :laugh
0 x
If the biggest sinner we know isn’t ourselves, then we don’t know ourselves very well.”- Pastor Jean Larroux
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

We should distinguish between "person who has a tattoo" and "person who is choosing to get more tattoos". The latter is something in the past that does not reflect on the choices a person is making today, although it may very well show that the person is prone to making short-term choices without thinking about long-term consequences.

The latter, choosing to get more tattoos, is behaviour that is inconsistent with a follower of Jesus but very consistent with being conformed to the world.
0 x