Christians and tattoos

General Christian Theology
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Christians and tattoos

Post by Hats Off »

Personally I agree with RZehr - I would certainly try to convince my children that having tattoos is not appropriate for a plain Christian. I do not judge people with tattoos - but if Pastor Rich wants another tattoo, I hope it is someplace where I won't see it when I meet him for the first time, because (I am also sterotyping) I would not expect him to have one. I fondly remember him from MD and was recently wondering where he had gone.

Old Order people do not always provide chapter and verse for why they do or don't do certain things. Like the people Neto mentioned, there are things that just don't seem right to us, things that even little children notice, as Josh said.

And I would be interested in that bunny trail of what of the OT do we maintain today. I often think we keep what suits us and leave the things that don't make sense to us today. So much of Leviticus would be included in the things that we would say are not relevant today.
1 x
karpos
Affiliation: beachy

Post by karpos »

Bootstrap wrote:
karpos wrote:You're using logical fallacies rather than logic. There's a big difference.

Shall we move to the logical fallacy thread?

http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1557
Oooh, the ultimate red herring! I can point out what I think your logical fallacies are, you can point out what you think mine are, and we can each accuse each other of being illogical at the top of our voices without listening to each other at all, what fun!

I don't understand why you think that one verse from Leviticus settles the question, and I think you are taking it out of context. I don't think the discussion has really progressed since then, I was hoping you would explain why you think that verse does settle it. Or perhaps you don't believe that. I actually don't know, and won't unless you answer.

I'm out of this thread until that happens.
A mark on your body denotes ownership just as a brand on a cow denotes ownership. If someone wishes to have themselves branded like a cow, that is their decision but people aren't cows and dont need to look like them.

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
there isnt going to be any mark of ownership on me...
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Hey, Boot, you are welcome to ignore Karpos if you wish and continue to discuss with the rest of us. You are a certified Old Coot - you can just let the young Karpos bark at your heels but ignore him as you would that yappy, annoying dog. :hug: :hug: This hug is for both of you.
1 x
Mennogal
Affiliation: Budding Mennonite

Post by Mennogal »

karpos wrote:
Mennogal wrote:
karpos wrote:
A tattoo tells me someone probably got drunk at a party or is in a gang of hoodlums...
Seriously?
Yes. Prisons document tattoos and can tell what gang someone belongs to. People get tattoos illegally when they join a prison gang for protection or to commit acts of violence.

If you ever get tried for something in a court and have visible tattoos, you are more likely to be found guilty because people assume you are in a street gang

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-pr ... ean-2016-1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_tattoo
So which is it... Did I get drunk at a party or am I a gang member? Rather judgmental IMO
0 x
Mennogal
Affiliation: Budding Mennonite

Post by Mennogal »

Bootstrap wrote:
Mennogal wrote:
karpos wrote:A tattoo tells me someone probably got drunk at a party or is in a gang of hoodlums...
Seriously?
So Mennogal, how long have you been a member of MS-13?

And you tried to tell us that was a convent ...
I belong to the gang of misfits, the rebels, the square pegs trying to fit in round holes...
0 x
karpos

Post by karpos »

Bootstrap wrote:
karpos wrote:A better way of understanding the bible is to examine scripture in context and in its entirety. Clearly animal sacrifices, sabbath commandments and ceremonial laws pertaining to the temple do not apply to us but things such as murder and adultery have been wrong since the garden of eden and that hasnt changed.
How do you apply that to this particular verse in Leviticus, in context?
In old testament or new, God's people are to remain separate and distinct from the rest of the world. Cutting/marking oneself was a heathen practice in biblcal times marking oneself was emulating heathen practices. Not looking like a heathen but rather looking modest and plain is most certainly new testament...

I think mennonites with those stupid looking frohawk hairdos and weird facial hair designs are emulating heathens and I dont mind telling them that.
0 x
karpos

Post by karpos »

Mennogal wrote:
So which is it... Did I get drunk at a party or am I a gang member? Rather judgmental IMO
have you ever self harmed?
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Karpos wrote:A tattoo tells me someone probably got drunk at a party or is in a gang of hoodlums...
Me thinks your view is far too shaped by Hollywood. Seriously way out there and lacking any hold on reality.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
karpos

Post by karpos »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Karpos wrote:A tattoo tells me someone probably got drunk at a party or is in a gang of hoodlums...
Me thinks your view is far too shaped by Hollywood. Seriously way out there and lacking any hold on reality.
Nope. I went to public school and college and knowing people that were in the military. I work with people with tattoos and have heard the stories behind them.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Mennogal wrote:So which is it... Did I get drunk at a party or am I a gang member? Rather judgmental IMO
Like someone got drunk at a party and started posting to an Internet forum ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?