Apologetics and other approaches

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Apologetics and other approaches

Post by Bootstrap »

When I was in college, apologetics was all the rage, and Christians like me learned all the logical arguments for God and how to use them in debate.

40 years later, I can't say that apologetics has worked for me. When I have led people to God, logical arguments have generally been secondary.

Have apologetics worked for you? What other approaches have worked?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Reflecting

Re: Apologetics and other approaches

Post by Reflecting »

May I ask another question Bootstrap?
Has apologetics worked for YOU? Has it drawn you to take a closer look at your Savior, who He is and His desire for you?
IF it has taken you to a deeper relationship with God, then I guess I’m thinking apologetics may be a great foundation for you to build from, but maybe a few steps removed from the approach in reaching out.
Make sense? A great background and even very helpful in connecting with others, but as the footer, not the sidewalk, door, sofa, or kitchen table.

Just my 3 cents worth. (I know. But it’s purely due to inflation. Not indicative of superior quality.)
0 x
”reflectthelight” in MDland
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Reflecting wrote:May I ask another question Bootstrap?
Has apologetics worked for YOU? Has it drawn you to take a closer look at your Savior, who He is and His desire for you?
IF it has taken you to a deeper relationship with God, then I guess I’m thinking apologetics may be a great foundation for you to build from, but maybe a few steps removed from the approach in reaching out.
Make sense? A great background and even very helpful in connecting with others, but as the footer, not the sidewalk, door, sofa, or kitchen table.
That's a great question.

Before I was a Christian, I knew all the logical arguments for God, and I believed them, logically. But I had no sense of God's presence or call on my life. At one point I was talking to a minister who said that if I asked God to show himself to me and kept asking he would. That worked for me. I've passed that on to others that it also worked for.

When I was trying to evangelize people on campus, I was talking to someone who raised one logical objection after another. Praying, I felt led to ask him if he was trying to defend himself against God with logical arguments. When I asked that, he looked surprised and opened up. He accepted Jesus within an hour.

Now back atcha - what has worked for YOU?
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Is debate always a part of apolgetics? Does debate actually work in explaining the faith? To me it seems that debate has a tendency to end up with both sides further entrenched in their position. Debate seems to be a rather aggressive approach to dealing with unbelievers. It would be interesting to see how Ernie proposes to teach the use of apologetics in reaching students at State College.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Hats Off wrote:Is debate always a part of apolgetics?
It was framed that way in the Christian groups I was part of in college. They would even hold debates and invite speakers.
Hats Off wrote:Does debate actually work in explaining the faith? To me it seems that debate has a tendency to end up with both sides further entrenched in their position. Debate seems to be a rather aggressive approach to dealing with unbelievers.
I agree. Debate assumes that if we "win the argument", the other person will acknowledge it and change their mind. I don't think life usually works that way. Most of the reasons we believe things are less logical than we would like to admit. Most of the reasons people don't come to Jesus are not logical objections.
Hats Off wrote:It would be interesting to see how Ernie proposes to teach the use of apologetics in reaching students at State College.
Yes, I'd be interested. If there's a better way to do apologetics than what I learned, I'd like to learn about it.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I have ordered a copy of the Dallas Witmer book which is a must read for Ernie's workshop.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Hats Off wrote:I have ordered a copy of the Dallas Witmer book which is a must read for Ernie's workshop.
Very good book. It should be entitled Gentle Apologetics.

I find that a lot of the people I'm in contact with are itching for a debate and normally can out do me, or think they can. I feel that the best comeback is your personal testimony of what God has done for you. We all know our sinful tendencies. We have a good idea where we would be without God's help. I feel that this is the best proof of God and his love that you can give.

Very few people have been won to the Lord by debating.

I do believe that when people have honest questions, we should answer them. That may include apologetics. But that's where Williard's book comes in. [I'm assuming you meant Dallas Williard's book, The Allure of Gentleness]
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

lesterb wrote:Very good book. It should be entitled Gentle Apologetics.

I find that a lot of the people I'm in contact with are itching for a debate and normally can out do me, or think they can. I feel that the best comeback is your personal testimony of what God has done for you. We all know our sinful tendencies. We have a good idea where we would be without God's help. I feel that this is the best proof of God and his love that you can give.

I do believe that when people have honest questions, we should answer them. That may include apologetics. But that's where Williard's book comes in. [I'm assuming you meant Dallas Williard's book, The Allure of Gentleness]
Hmmm, The Allure of Gentleness looks like something I should order:
When Christians share their faith, they often appeal to reason, logic, and the truth of doctrine. But these tactics often are not effective. A better approach to spread Christ’s word, Dallas Willard suggests, is to use the example of our own lives. To demonstrate Jesus’s message, we must be transformed people living out a life reflective of Jesus himself, a life of love, humility, and gentleness.

This beautiful model of life—this allure of gentleness—Willard argues, is the foundation for making the most compelling argument for Christianity, one that will convince others that there is something special about Christianity and the Jesus we follow.
I was reared on Josh McDowell books, if you know what I mean. And this description seems like a critique of what I was talking about earlier in this thread.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Hats Off wrote:Is debate always a part of apolgetics? Does debate actually work in explaining the faith? To me it seems that debate has a tendency to end up with both sides further entrenched in their position. Debate seems to be a rather aggressive approach to dealing with unbelievers. It would be interesting to see how Ernie proposes to teach the use of apologetics in reaching students at State College.
lesterb wrote:
Hats Off wrote:I have ordered a copy of the Dallas Witmer book which is a must read for Ernie's workshop.
Very good book. It should be entitled Gentle Apologetics.

Amen and amen. I agree completely. Simply stating your beliefs and offering the correct information without falling in with argument can be done.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Mennogal
Affiliation: Budding Mennonite

Post by Mennogal »

Hats Off wrote:Is debate always a part of apolgetics? Does debate actually work in explaining the faith? To me it seems that debate has a tendency to end up with both sides further entrenched in their position. Debate seems to be a rather aggressive approach to dealing with unbelievers. It would be interesting to see how Ernie proposes to teach the use of apologetics in reaching students at State College.
I cannot imagine debating someone on the good news that is Jesus. I have generally avoided those kinds of conversations, and if I find someone to be a non-believer, generally will not engage them in discussing my spirituality. It can be quite divisive, and typically becomes polarizing. That being said, I would like to be a good evangelist and spread the news to those who would listen, and not listen, and I search for ways to do this while being Christ-like.
0 x