The Narrow Way

General Christian Theology
Mennogal
Affiliation: Budding Mennonite

The Narrow Way

Post by Mennogal »

This morning’s women’s Bible study focused on “Entering God’s Kingdom.” The specific passage was Luke 13:22-30, with Matthew 7:13-23 as a point of reference, which I actually much prefer. I thought that it would be an interesting topic to post. What does Jesus mean when he speaks of making “every effort to enter through the narrow door,” or the “narrow gate?” What is the narrow gate, and why will others be outside and not be known...”I don’t know you or where you’re from,” or “I never knew you. Depart from me, you lawbreakers!” What is required of us, as Christ-followers, to enter through the narrow way? Let’s discuss...
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: The Narrow Way

Post by Bootstrap »

I vividly remember a sharing about this from a prayer group when I was in high school. He used the analogy of a man with one foot in a boat and one foot on a dock. When the ship goes off to sea, you need to put both feet down on one or the other or be torn in too.

The narrow way is putting both feet down on Jesus, what he did and what he taught.

The dock might be the world, our desires, or even dead religion and self-righteousness.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

We hear the analogy of the two roads frequently. The one road is the Way of Jesus; the other is the way of the world. Much time and emotion could be spent trying to define the Way of Jesus versus the way of the world but I think most of us here understand the concept even though we don't all agree exactly where the dividing line is between the two roads. But the example of the boat at the dock shows clearly that it is impossible to straddle the two ways for any length of time.
0 x
Paul
Affiliation:

Post by Paul »

Mennogal wrote:This morning’s women’s Bible study focused on “Entering God’s Kingdom.” The specific passage was Luke 13:22-30, with Matthew 7:13-23 as a point of reference, which I actually much prefer. I thought that it would be an interesting topic to post. What does Jesus mean when he speaks of making “every effort to enter through the narrow door,” or the “narrow gate?” What is the narrow gate, and why will others be outside and not be known...”I don’t know you or where you’re from,” or “I never knew you. Depart from me, you lawbreakers!” What is required of us, as Christ-followers, to enter through the narrow way? Let’s discuss...
Repentance and faith in Jesus Christ is what is required to enter through the narrow gate, not much else the thief on the cross could do right? Jesus did not require many good works from the man in order to be saved, He was actually performing the work for his salvation Himself at that very time - atoning for his sins.

Luke 23: 39-43 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss. And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.
0 x
Paul
Affiliation:

Post by Paul »

The simple way of salvation by grace through faith seems to be such a stumbling block, but I read again this morning how the apostle Paul declares that what is required of us to enter through the narrow way into the Kingdom of God, is simply faith in Jesus Christ.

Acts 13:38-39 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins: And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

If we believe in Jesus Christ, the apostle says, we are justified from all things and thus receive total forgiveness of sins. This is bad news to the self-righteous Jews that thought they could keep the law and work out their salvation in their own strength, and also to the modern equivalent of those that think they will earn favour with God by keeping tight to the laws and commandments. But it is great news to those that see they are void of any righteousness of their own and who instead run to Jesus Christ in faith for their salvation - because the last group will inherit eternal life by grace - while the first group will eternally perish in their self-righteous refusal to abandon their works and their pride, and wholly lean on Jesus Christ instead.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Paul wrote:The simple way of salvation by grace through faith seems to be such a stumbling block, but I read again this morning how the apostle Paul declares that what is required of us to enter through the narrow way into the Kingdom of God, is simply faith in Jesus Christ.
I appreciated your post, Paul.

True discipleship is based in costly grace. Both halves are crucial. Grace is not the opposite of committed discipleship, it is the basis of committed discipleship.
0 x
Paul
Affiliation:

Post by Paul »

Bootstrap wrote:
I appreciated your post, Paul.

True discipleship is based in costly grace. Both halves are crucial. Grace is not the opposite of committed discipleship, it is the basis of committed discipleship.
Important distinction that this thread was about entering God's Kingdom, "This morning’s women’s Bible study focused on “Entering God’s Kingdom.” and what the requirements are to do so, "What is required of us, as Christ-followers, to enter through the narrow way? Let’s discuss..." And I see that it can be a stumblingblock to some that salvation, entering God's Kingdom, is by faith in the Son of God. That is why I referred to the thief on the cross in one of my previous posts, if anyone could not do any good works, be a committed disciple or any of that in order to enter God's Kingdom, it was this guy. So we don't enter God's Kingdom because we are such committed disciples, but because we have believed in Jesus Christ - and I am pretty sure you would agree with that right?

Now on the topic of sanctification, true faith in Christ will evidence itself in a life committed to Him, though not all equally so (some are weaker in grace, some stronger, some build wood, hay and stubble on the foundation, some precious stones.) I am sure though that if the thief on the cross had thirty years more ahead of him, he would have spent it in the service of his Lord, but no matter whether he would have died before or after those years - his entering God's Kingdom would have been because he had believed on Jesus Christ and no other reason.
0 x
Mennogal
Affiliation: Budding Mennonite

Post by Mennogal »

Paul wrote:
his entering God's Kingdom would have been because he had believed on Jesus Christ and no other reason.
Amen
0 x
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Here's how I understand Matthew 7:21-27:
Matthew 7:21 wrote:Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord", will enter the kingdom of heaven
Some will, but Jesus' point here is that not everyone will. I think "Lord" here is repeated for emphasis - there will be people who really think Jesus is Lord who will not enter his kingdom.
Matthew 7:21 wrote:but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven
Which includes more than really believing Jesus is Lord.
Matthew 7:22-23 wrote:On that day
Day of judgment
many will say to me, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?"
These are lots of good things - lots of things that would tend to make us think someone doing them means that Jesus will welcome them into his kingdom. (And I think some people who do these things he will welcome. But "not everyone.")
And then will I declare to them, "I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness."
Doing these things (prophesying, casting out demons, performing miracles) doesn't guarantee that one is not a worker of lawlessness. But what does it mean to be a worker of lawlessness?
Everyone then
Because of this truth, everyone
who hears these words of mine
who hears the Sermon on the Mount
and does them
and obeys the Sermon on the Mount
will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.
Jesus will permit into his kingdom.
And everyone who hears these words of mine
everyone who hears the Sermon on the Mount
and does not do them
and does not obey it (aside: there will be people who obey Jesus' teachings, and there will be people who do not.)
Will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came...and it fell, and great was the fall of it.
Jesus will prohibit from entering his kingdom (as a "worker of lawlessness").
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Paul wrote:So we don't enter God's Kingdom because we are such committed disciples, but because we have believed in Jesus Christ - and I am pretty sure you would agree with that right?
Amen.
Paul wrote:Now on the topic of sanctification, true faith in Christ will evidence itself in a life committed to Him, though not all equally so (some are weaker in grace, some stronger, some build wood, hay and stubble on the foundation, some precious stones.) I am sure though that if the thief on the cross had thirty years more ahead of him, he would have spent it in the service of his Lord, but no matter whether he would have died before or after those years - his entering God's Kingdom would have been because he had believed on Jesus Christ and no other reason.
Amen.
0 x