Did Paul know he was writing Scripture?

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Did Paul know he was writing Scripture?

Post by Bootstrap »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:The important point is, perhaps, is that God knew he was writing scripture.
Which makes me wonder ... did the OT writers know they were writing Scripture?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
betterpromises2
Affiliation: Foothills Comm. Ch.

Post by betterpromises2 »

In 2 Peter 3 it seems to indicate that Peter understood Paul's letters to be Scripture, even in the very early days.

14 So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. 15 Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. 16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.
0 x
betterpromises2
Affiliation: Foothills Comm. Ch.

Post by betterpromises2 »

oops...sorry for restating what others had said earlier in the thread.
0 x
Abraham
Affiliation: Independent

Post by Abraham »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:The important point is, perhaps, is that God knew he was writing scripture.

J.M.
What evidence forces you to draw that conclusion? I take that you mean by 'scriptures' infallible, inerrant, writings produced by God verbatim himself - meaning the writers may have held/moved the pen, but anything they wrote came from God himself word-for-word?

I really, really can't find anything that remotely supports that conclusion - but I'm happy to stand corrected.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Abraham wrote:

J.M.
What evidence forces you to draw that conclusion? I take that you mean by 'scriptures' infallible, inerrant, writings produced by God verbatim himself - meaning the writers may have held/moved the pen, but anything they wrote came from God himself word-for-word?

I really, really can't find anything that remotely supports that conclusion - but I'm happy to stand corrected.
I didn't think that he meant that, but he can speak for himself.

God knew how foundational Scripture would be even when the people writing parts of it thought they were writing a letter to address a specific issue, writing down some history, etc.

Often, we have no idea what great things God will do with the little things we do if we are listening to his voice. He makes more out of it than we ever could.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Abraham wrote:

J.M.

Bootstrap is correct. The theory you are suggesting here is call "Dictation" and I cannot find support for that either. However, as 1 Peter 1:21 says:

For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

That God, through the agency of the Holy Spirit, moved men to write, not taking away their own personalities, but at the same time insuring what was written was what He intended to have written.

It is commonly called Verbal Plenary Inspiration.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

JM, I thought what Abraham described is called Verbal Plenary Inspiration.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

RZehr wrote:JM, I thought what Abraham described is called Verbal Plenary Inspiration.
No, he is describing dictation, at least how it was taught to me.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

In 1 Corinthians 7:10-11 Paul quotes Jesus-
10 ¶ And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:
11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

Then he goes on to say this. Notice verse 12 and 17.
12 ¶ But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.
13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.
16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?
17 ¶ But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.

Verse 12 he is done quoting Jesus, and is now speaking on his own Holy Spirit given authority.
Verse 17 he ends saying it is to be so in all churches.

Then notice the end of verse 40.
39 ¶ The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
40 But she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.

Paul believes that he is speaking unction of the Spirit of God.

This is in contrast with what we read in verse 6.
6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
RZehr wrote:JM, I thought what Abraham described is called Verbal Plenary Inspiration.
No, he is describing dictation, at least how it was taught to me.

J.M.
I’d be interested in finding out which is the correct, or most commonly understood meaning of Verbal Plenary Inspiration.
Anyone else care to share?
0 x