What Is An Addiction?

General Christian Theology
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Re: What Is An Addiction?

Post by Signtist »

Did we scare off steve? I was looking forward ro his perspective on this thread.
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

gcdonner wrote:I'm not sure if this perspective has been implied in the posts above, but...
There is a chemical imbalance that takes place with addiction to anything, from coffee to cocaine and everything in between. That imbalance can be passed on to offspring making them susceptible to addiction. It all does begin with sin, whether in the first generation or the 10th. The first step in healing is repentance and then the imbalances can be dealt with according to their symptoms.
Alcohol is sin when used in excess and it does alter normal behavior as a result, which is why Paul exhorts to "be not drunk with wine, but be filled with the Spirit." It is a matter of choice which kind of spirit[Spirit] you want to be filled with.
Simply attempting to abstain without the Helper, is a fools errand and human history verifies this fact. It most often does take time to cleanse the system, though God chooses to miraculously heal according to his wisdom and knowledge.
The admonition to flee temptation is not without reason.
To simply tell someone to come clean is heartless and ignorant. To walk beside someone while they overcome and help them on the path to wholeness is our duty.
AA has a good reason for their meetings. Addicts need accountability, but let's not be as vain as they are and never be able to confess that "I am healed". To continue to call oneself a "recovering addict" is to predispose oneself to failure.
There is complete deliverance in Christ.
Even Jesus used methods in his healings, not all were instantaneous.
Think about it.
Now this deserves it's own thread. Maybe we should have a "How to Overcome Addictions" thread as well as a thread on how we can help those who are addicted.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Signtist wrote:Now this deserves it's own thread. Maybe we should have a "How to Overcome Addictions" thread as well as a thread on how we can help those who are addicted
Sounds like a good idea
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Signtist wrote:Now this deserves it's own thread. Maybe we should have a "How to Overcome Addictions" thread as well as a thread on how we can help those who are addicted
Sounds like a good idea
Nobody's figured this out in any credible way yet - not psychologists, pastors, doctors. It would be great to work on progress to that goal though.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Josh wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:
Sounds like a good idea
Nobody's figured this out in any credible way yet - not psychologists, pastors, doctors. It would be great to work on progress to that goal though.
I think that all of the above recognize the need for community of some sort in the battle to overcome. Whether it's Tops (for people with eating addictions) or AA (for alcoholics), or what ever. I think the local church should be a major factor in the battle to overcome. Too often we ignore such people.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

lesterb wrote: I think that all of the above recognize the need for community of some sort in the battle to overcome. Whether it's Tops (for people with eating addictions) or AA (for alcoholics), or what ever. I think the local church should be a major factor in the battle to overcome. Too often we ignore such people.
So true. Those programs addressing addictions that have the highest success rate have community accountability methods: regular meetings and sponsors that help the person attend those meetings regularly. Accountability and community supports the person's need for maintaining sobriety or other program.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Sounds like a good idea
Here's the new thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God