God is a Spirit...

General Christian Theology
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

God is a Spirit...

Post by lesterb »

[bible]John 4,24[/bible]

[bible]Luke 24,36-43[/bible]

I had some correspondence on the question of Jesus being alive and having a body, etc. This finally got me to thinking. According to the verses above, God doesn't have a body like we do. But Jesus does, though it is a glorified version of a body, like we will receive when we die.

So was Jesus a Spirit, like God, until the incarnation? But now he has a body, and is the only part of the god-head to have one? So does this mean that coming to earth was more than just a thirty year sacrifice, but on ongoing eternal one?

I'd like to hear your thoughts, if you have any....
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: God is a Spirit...

Post by Valerie »

I cannot really share 'my' thoughts, just what I have learned-first of all this passage in the New Testament teaches it best-to back to the beginning, of who Jesus was-
John 1 King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

The other teachings that have really helped me about this is in David Bercot's Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs- the Section on "Angel of the Lord", Divinity of Christ, and Theophanies- that coupled with the Orthodox teachings in my Bible really changed how I understand Christ in the Old Testament- now I read with completely different eyes about this in the OT & it has helped tremendously. I believe you have David Bercot's book too- when you read how the early Church understood this, it makes complete sense, I believe Jesus when He was with the Apostles, taught them in depth about who He was throughout the Old Testament- was He with the Father from the beginning? Yes- Did He have 'human' flesh then? No- He became flesh, according to John 1- when He took on Mary His mother's flesh & the Holy Spirit maintaining the Divinity- prior to that according to the teaching about Theophanies, it really helped me understand why there were appearances of God (which would have been the pre-incarnate Son) even though the Scriptures also said that no man had seen God at any time- it seem to contradict itself until you learn the teaching of "Angel of the Lord" & Theophanies-
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

And yet man is created in the image of God....
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Hats Off wrote:And yet man is created in the image of God....
Yes- and Jesus is God the Son- the pre-incarnate Son, of the Trinity- made appearances in the Old Testament- and so there was a visible image to behold- this topic is the one that led some into heresy which is probably why everyone feels the need to be so careful- it is a topic that actually wreaked havoc on the Church-
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Genesis 1:26: Then God said "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

reading scriptures, i can’t believe it’s either/or, but, both+more, i.e., beyond the realm of human comprehension.

evenso, we’re given what-we-need, when-where-what form, to fulfill His purposes.

i have the hardest time grasping God is truly in the physical “image of God.” it’s so - human!
i try to accept and trust that which is beyond me. this is beyond me. still, i believe it.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I sometimes feel we ask too many questions - ask for too much proof. I think we need to believe by faith. That which we can see and have proof of, does not require faith.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Hats Off wrote:I sometimes feel we ask too many questions - ask for too much proof. I think we need to believe by faith. That which we can see and have proof of, does not require faith.
Agreed. Even still this is sure interesting and exciting to talk about. :P
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Hats Off wrote:I sometimes feel we ask too many questions - ask for too much proof. I think we need to believe by faith. That which we can see and have proof of, does not require faith.
I think it's OK to ask an answer and not know the answer. I think it's even helpful, it reminds us that we don't know all the answers. And I certainly don't know the answers to the most interesting questions raised in this thread.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

We can only go so far with our answers for some questions until they become speculation. I finally told the brother I was discussing this with that we'll have to shelve the discussion until we got to heaven, if we're still interested in it at that point.
0 x