Dealing with the Demonic Realm

General Christian Theology
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Dealing with the Demonic Realm

Post by Valerie »

I don't know how often in your churches, you encounter someone who appears to be demon possessed or at least oppressed that is in dire need of being set free- we all know from studying the New Testament, it was almost commonplace to run into this. It seems in 'today's' world there are many names for disorders. I remember a former Amish friend sharing a horrible story of an Amish man in a community that was diagnosed with Schizophrenia (and possibly other disorders). The man committed a horrible murder of his wife and claimed it was the voices in his head telling him to. It wasn't all that long ago, this man took his own life.

Do you in your churches have to encounter this from time to time, and if so, do you believe today there is still need to 'cast out demons' and if so, who or where would you have this done?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Dealing with the Demonic Realm

Post by MaxPC »

Valerie wrote:I don't know how often in your churches, you encounter someone who appears to be demon possessed or at least oppressed that is in dire need of being set free- we all know from studying the New Testament, it was almost commonplace to run into this. It seems in 'today's' world there are many names for disorders. I remember a former Amish friend sharing a horrible story of an Amish man in a community that was diagnosed with Schizophrenia (and possibly other disorders). The man committed a horrible murder of his wife and claimed it was the voices in his head telling him to. It wasn't all that long ago, this man took his own life.

Do you in your churches have to encounter this from time to time, and if so, do you believe today there is still need to 'cast out demons' and if so, who or where would you have this done?
The Catholic Church has priests who are exorcists whose job it is to drive out demons possessing a person through prayers and fasting. In fact there's been a call sent out to recruit more priests to the ministry of exorcism as the number of cases has increased in recent years. This is part of our understanding of the relevant Scriptures regarding the casting out of demons. YMMV. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

MaxPC wrote:
Valerie wrote:I don't know how often in your churches, you encounter someone who appears to be demon possessed or at least oppressed that is in dire need of being set free- we all know from studying the New Testament, it was almost commonplace to run into this. It seems in 'today's' world there are many names for disorders. I remember a former Amish friend sharing a horrible story of an Amish man in a community that was diagnosed with Schizophrenia (and possibly other disorders). The man committed a horrible murder of his wife and claimed it was the voices in his head telling him to. It wasn't all that long ago, this man took his own life.

The Catholic Church has priests who are exorcists whose job it is to drive out demons possessing a person through prayers and fasting. In fact there's been a call sent out to recruit more priests to the ministry of exorcism as the number of cases has increased in recent years. This is part of our understanding of the relevant Scriptures regarding the casting out of demons. YMMV. :D
In your understanding and knowledge of the earliest days of the Church- would you agree or disagree that the Scriptures teach that casting out of demons was able to be done by a Spirit filled Christian? For example- when Jesus sent the disciples out two by two- He gave them power to do this- and furthermore for example this passage in Mark:

Mark 16:17-18 King James Version (KJV)

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

I'm wondering if over time in the Church, that this was limited to the office of Priest or Bishop for some reason?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I do believe in this, but I also believe it has been abused and sensationalized in some Christian circles. I have no experience with Catholics on this front. The Christians I am most involved with avoid this issue more than I think we should.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Valerie wrote:
In your understanding and knowledge of the earliest days of the Church- would you agree or disagree that the Scriptures teach that casting out of demons was able to be done by a Spirit filled Christian? For example- when Jesus sent the disciples out two by two- He gave them power to do this- and furthermore for example this passage in Mark:

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

I'm wondering if over time in the Church, that this was limited to the office of Priest or Bishop for some reason?
To give a complete answer that does this topic it's due justice, would take a dissertation on the history of exorcism in our Catholic Church. I don't think it's prudent or fair to take up so much of this good Anabaptist forum with serial postings on the Catholic view. I merely share what we do briefly as a part of the larger conversation. That said, if anyone is interested in learning more of the Cathoic view of this, the best article representing that view on the internet is this one. It's not a complete history, merely an overview. A complete history is often covered in a semester.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

MaxPC wrote:
Valerie wrote:

To give a complete answer that does this topic it's due justice, would take a dissertation on the history of exorcism in our Catholic Church. I don't think it's prudent or fair to take up so much of this good Anabaptist forum with serial postings on the Catholic view. I merely share what we do briefly as a part of the larger conversation. That said, if anyone is interested in learning more of the Cathoic view of this, the best article representing that view on the internet is this one. It's not a complete history, merely an overview. A complete history is often covered in a semester.
Thank you- I will look at that later today- have a serious issue in need of prayer-

We have such a person that is in great need of, I believe, the casting out of demons- I am sure if most of you met him, you would probably arrive at the same conclusion- it took me awhile, but not long- to arrive at this conclusion. The church we are attending- I am not convinced that they would know exactly how to approach this. I asked our Sunday School teacher a few questions because the topic actually came up in our chapter in Mark where we were reading- and so it was in light of that and our present need to discern and pray about what 'to do' or 'not to do' I felt the need to ask. For one thing, this person wants to go to Church- that being said- with recent 'shootings' there are those, even in churches, that are afraid to have someone like this person with obvious mental disorders in their midst (I understand this, but still am troubled by it)

We had taken the man to church with us a few times- but he's worse now than ever- just got out of the mental hospital (again) and he is obviously 'being controlled'- he is out of control- and the most miserable of people. I cannot even get him off my mind for any length of time and just praying and seeking God.

Perhaps the forum was not a good place to ask.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:I do believe in this, but I also believe it has been abused and sensationalized in some Christian circles. I have no experience with Catholics on this front. The Christians I am most involved with avoid this issue more than I think we should.
It has, & I agree- & yet- it is still real.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:I do believe in this, but I also believe it has been abused and sensationalized in some Christian circles. I have no experience with Catholics on this front. The Christians I am most involved with avoid this issue more than I think we should.
It has, & I agree- & yet- it is still real.
I agree. I just don't have any particular wisdom to share, and I'm not sure whose wisdom I trust on this issue.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Valerie, I would stand on the Scripture in Mark 9:29 and Matthew 18:20 and get two or three likeminded Christians to help you sit with this person while praying and fasting to drive out the possessor. Pray in the name of Jesus when you do pray. However he might not be possessed.

Keep in mind that there are authentic mental illnesses that mimic possession and can be treated with medication successfully. The question that comes to my mind is why did the mental hospital release him? Did medication work well enough to improve his behaviors? Is he unable or unwilling to maintain his meds on his own? Did he tell the hospital that he had help at home when in fact he did not?

These are serious questions that should also be answered. Schizophrenia is a very serious illness that requires constant intervention.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)