Kingdom of God / Heaven

General Christian Theology
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Kingdom of God / Heaven

Post by lesterb »

So what is the difference between the Kingdom of Heaven, as portrayed in Matthew, and the Kingdom of God as portrayed everywhere else in the NT?

Or is it just a difference in terminology, but the same meaning?
0 x
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Re: Kingdom of God / Heaven

Post by cmbl »

I have heard it's a difference in terminology because (as the story goes) Matthew was writing to the Jews and so didn't want to appear to use the name of God.

Is that actually right, or just pop-theology?
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

I remember MJ Brunk saying in class one day that he believed that the one encompassed the other, but I don't remember which was which or why he said that. In other words one was a smaller segment within the other.

Just curious. I wrote something a while ago and the editor changed all the Kingdom of God references to Kingdom of Heaven.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

I looked into once, a while back though and couldn't find any reason to think they were different. So I've always used the names synonymously but it may be worth looking at again and would like to hear more on this too if there is more...
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

It seems clear to me that Matthew just translated the Aramaic phrase differently. Sometimes the quote is essentially the same in a different gospel, except for the kingdom of God/kingdom of heaven difference. For example compare [bible]Matthew 19,23[/bible]
with
[bible]Mark 10,23[/bible].
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Wade wrote:I looked into once, a while back though and couldn't find any reason to think they were different. So I've always used the names synonymously but it may be worth looking at again and would like to hear more on this too if there is more...
Likewise. Since God created all, all are part of His Kingdom.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God