Are We Saved By Our Acts Of Obedience?

General Christian Theology

Are we justified before God by our acts of obedience?

Total votes: 0

Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Are We Saved By Our Acts Of Obedience?

Post by Sudsy »

Interesting what the 'works' were that saved the thief on the cross. Luke 23:41-43

"We deserve to die for our crimes, but this man hasn't done anything wrong." Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Sudsy wrote:Interesting what the 'works' were that saved the thief on the cross. Luke 23:41-43

"We deserve to die for our crimes, but this man hasn't done anything wrong." Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."
He did all he had opportunity for. That is all that is required of any of us!
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Hats Off wrote:
Sudsy wrote:Interesting what the 'works' were that saved the thief on the cross. Luke 23:41-43

He did all he had opportunity for. That is all that is required of any of us!
Someone with perfect obedience.

Regarding obedience do you believe the fruits of obedience are promised to believers today as they were in OT times ? If not, what are the NT promises on obedience ? I think some people are raised with the response 'just do what you are told' and this is how they view works of obedience. Others were raised with rewards given for works of obedience and this is their incentive. This is getting a bit outside the title here and if needed we can break it off into a separate thread on the whys of obedience . Some OT promises regarding works of obedience and their rewards -

Psalm 112:1-3 - Praise ye the Lord. Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord, that delighteth greatly in his commandments. His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the upright shall be blessed. Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth for ever.

Job 36:11 - If they obey and serve him, they will spend the rest of their days in prosperity and their years in contentment.

Deut. 28:1-14 -Today I am giving you the laws and teachings of the Lord your God. Always obey them, and the Lord will make Israel the most famous and important nation on earth, and he will bless you in many ways. The Lord will make your businesses and your farms successful. You will have many children. You will harvest large crops, and your herds of cattle and flocks of sheep and goats will produce many young. You will have plenty of bread[a] to eat. The Lord will make you successful in your daily work. The Lord will help you defeat your enemies and make them scatter in all directions. The Lord your God is giving you the land, and he will make sure you are successful in everything you do. Your harvests will be so large that your storehouses will be full. If you follow and obey the Lord, he will make you his own special people, just as he promised. Then everyone on earth will know that you belong to the Lord, and they will be afraid of you. The Lord will give you a lot of children and make sure that your animals give birth to many young. The Lord promised your ancestors that this land would be yours, and he will make it produce large crops for you. The Lord will open the storehouses of the skies where he keeps the rain, and he will send rain on your land at just the right times. He will make you successful in everything you do. You will have plenty of money to lend to other nations, but you won’t need to borrow any yourself. Obey the laws and teachings that I’m giving you today, and the Lord your God will make Israel a leader among the nations, and not a follower. Israel will be wealthy and powerful, not poor and weak. But you must not reject any of his laws and teachings or worship other gods.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit