Plymouth Brethren

General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Personal convictions?

Post by Josh »

Hats Off wrote:
Josh wrote:What are Bible Chapels? A less conservative version of Gospel Halls?
I consider the Gospel Halls to be Old Order; so yes, your assumption is correct. Gospel Halls are much more rigid - visitors at one Gospel Hall need to sit at the back of the assembly, even if they are prominent Bible Chapel.
There is an even more strict version of Gospel Halls called “Exclusive Brethren”, so it sounds like Plymouth Brethren have successfully replicated the full range of experience you can find in the Anabaptist world.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

It is quite interesting looking in. I see so many similarities. I met a Gospel Hall man - told him who one of my clients was - oh so you know John, he said. He's my cousin. Then he went on to make sure that I knew that they weren't the same group. I could have laughed out loud. I appreciate the dress and other standards of the Gospel Hall but Bible Chapel is way less rigid, while still being good Christians. If I had to choose between the two, I would have a hard time.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Hats Off wrote:It is quite interesting looking in. I see so many similarities. I met a Gospel Hall man - told him who one of my clients was - oh so you know John, he said. He's my cousin. Then he went on to make sure that I knew that they weren't the same group. I could have laughed out loud. I appreciate the dress and other standards of the Gospel Hall but Bible Chapel is way less rigid, while still being good Christians. If I had to choose between the two, I would have a hard time.
:o :shock: :o :shock: HO, Really!
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I probably wouldn't have a hard time - Bible Chapel would give the freedom to follow dress and lifestyle standards without the rigidity of the Gospel Hall.However, I have personal convictions that would still prevent me from joining either one. I also have a wife!
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Hats Off wrote:I probably wouldn't have a hard time - Bible Chapel would give the freedom to follow dress and lifestyle standards without the rigidity of the Gospel Hall.However, I have personal convictions that would still prevent me from joining either one. [size=50]I also have a wife![/size]
Sorry, I could barely hear you.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
aussieandy
Affiliation: Nationwide (Seeker)

Post by aussieandy »

I don't think I can trust the Plymouth Brethren. I don't think they're anything like Anabaptist groups I know:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... pk0nd.html
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

aussieandy wrote:I don't think I can trust the Plymouth Brethren. I don't think they're anything like Anabaptist groups I know:

They never were Anabaptist; the Exclusive Brethren in Australia are their own unique rare breed, though, even amongst the rest of the PBs.
0 x
aussieandy

Post by aussieandy »

Josh wrote:
aussieandy wrote:I don't think I can trust the Plymouth Brethren. I don't think they're anything like Anabaptist groups I know:

They never were Anabaptist; the Exclusive Brethren in Australia are their own unique rare breed, though, even amongst the rest of the PBs.
I thought Australia is now the world Headquarters of the global entity?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

aussieandy wrote:
Josh wrote:

I thought Australia is now the world Headquarters of the global entity?
I believe they’re the biggest most powerful group now. I regularly saw their young people in the airport on Melbourne.
0 x
aussieandy

Re: Plymouth Brethren

Post by aussieandy »

They seem more cultist than anything close to Anabaptist. Political donations to political parties being a key case in point. The child abuse points towards cultist behaviour and their strange flip on the internet because their Big man changed his mind points to personality lead rather than congregational lead entity.

Found a bit more info on them (they're definitely protestants):

In the late 1820s a group of men had become disillusioned with the established Anglican Church, which they felt had become too involved with the secular state and abandoned many of the basic truths of Christianity.

Based in Dublin, this group (John Nelson Darby, Anthony Norris Groves, John Bellett, Edward Cronin and Francis Hutchinson) paved the way for the movement to come together with a brotherly fellowship, or ‘Brethren’.

The first Brethren assembly in England was established at Plymouth in 1831 – hence the church’s title.

In the late 1840s, the Brethren split into the Open Brethren and the Exclusive Brethren.

The split was the result of what Darby, the foremost leader, and his followers saw as the growth of 'clericalism' and "grave error as to Christ's persona and sufferings".

A succession of further schisms and reunifications led to a number of groups forming over the years, of which the Plymouth Brethren Christian Church is now the best known.
Last edited by aussieandy on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x