Plymouth Brethren

General Christian Theology
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Personal convictions?

Post by Hats Off »

Sudsy wrote:
silentreader wrote: I don't know, of course, where your father was located, but I do know that some of the Brethren in this area had ties with others in the London-to-Leamington area, can't remember the names right now. There were a couple of speakers from way back then that I deeply respected.
We have a church here in Leamington called the Leamington Gospel Hall. They put on tent meetings still occasionally near the lake. My father's friend was quite well known in our area and I met his son a year ago in Chatham doing volunteer greeting work in a hospital there. His name is Dave and his father was Robert (Bob) Robertson. Wonderful Christians !

They have quite a list of churches listed here - http://www.plymouthbrethrenchristianchu ... locations/

And as you would know, they do believe in a head covering (lace or scarf type) when in their meetings.
Those on that link are all in the UK.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Hats Off wrote:To the best of my knowledge, all women in the Gospel Hall veil for worship services. Veiling for women in Bible Chapels varies considerably. In some assemblies, most women veil while in others, there are just a very few older ones that do.

A couple that left the Gospel Hall and went to a Bible Chapel said that when that move is made several things happen; the ladies cut their hair, wear jewellery and pants, all of which would not be tolerated at a Gospel Hall.
I had a friend who attends a Gospel Hall. I had absolutely no idea since she wore jewellery and pants during the week. The young people at that Hall wore hats during the service.

The service was unbelievably long - over 3 hours.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Hats Off wrote:
Sudsy wrote:
silentreader wrote: I don't know, of course, where your father was located, but I do know that some of the Brethren in this area had ties with others in the London-to-Leamington area, can't remember the names right now. There were a couple of speakers from way back then that I deeply respected.
We have a church here in Leamington called the Leamington Gospel Hall. They put on tent meetings still occasionally near the lake. My father's friend was quite well known in our area and I met his son a year ago in Chatham doing volunteer greeting work in a hospital there. His name is Dave and his father was Robert (Bob) Robertson. Wonderful Christians !

They have quite a list of churches listed here - http://www.plymouthbrethrenchristianchu ... locations/

And as you would know, they do believe in a head covering (lace or scarf type) when in their meetings.
Sorry, here are the Ontario churches Halls -

http://www.gospelhall.org/index.php/ass ... 77-ontario
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Hats Off wrote:To the best of my knowledge, all women in the Gospel Hall veil for worship services. Veiling for women in Bible Chapels varies considerably. In some assemblies, most women veil while in others, there are just a very few older ones that do.

A couple that left the Gospel Hall and went to a Bible Chapel said that when that move is made several things happen; the ladies cut their hair, wear jewellery and pants, all of which would not be tolerated at a Gospel Hall.
I'm only familiar with the Bible Chapel ones, and I know that at one point at least years ago they had very good teaching on the veiling. Now, in at least one of the three locally, incoming Mennonites receive teaching against the veiling, I am told.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Just listening to a video of Ravi Zacharias, and he said something very interesting: "Before you remove a fence, always ask yourself why it was put there in the first place."
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Sudsy wrote:
Hats Off wrote:
Sudsy wrote:

Sorry, here are the Ontario churches Halls -

http://www.gospelhall.org/index.php/ass ... 77-ontario
Again, this list only includes the Gospel Halls but not the Bible Chapels.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

What are Bible Chapels? A less conservative version of Gospel Halls?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote:Just listening to a video of Ravi Zacharias, and he said something very interesting: "Before you remove a fence, always ask yourself why it was put there in the first place."
:up: :up:
AMEN!
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Josh wrote:What are Bible Chapels? A less conservative version of Gospel Halls?
I guess I'm not sure, but it sounds like that might be the case, I'm not aware of a Gospel Hall in our immediate area.
I've also noticed since we started this that what I would consider the more liberal "Chapels" actually call themselves Bible Fellowships instead of Bible Chapels. I don't know when this started.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Josh wrote:What are Bible Chapels? A less conservative version of Gospel Halls?
I consider the Gospel Halls to be Old Order; so yes, your assumption is correct. Gospel Halls are much more rigid - visitors at one Gospel Hall need to sit at the back of the assembly, even if they are prominent Bible Chapel.
0 x