Why does God permit evil?

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

In the discussion of court rulings it had me thinking about our own catechetical definition of why God permits evil? Here's what our catechism says:
Faith gives us the certainty that God would not permit evil if he did not cause a good to come from that very evil. This was realized in a wondrous way by God in the death and resurrection of Christ. In fact, from the greatest of all moral evils (the murder of his Son) he has brought forth the greatest of all good (the glorification of Christ and our redemption).
Further reading: CCC 311-314, 324
What are your thoughts? I'm not looking for debates, just your impressions of this question.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Why does God permit evil?

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote:In the discussion of court rulings it had me thinking about our own catechetical definition of why God permits evil? Here's what our catechism says:
Faith gives us the certainty that God would not permit evil if he did not cause a good to come from that very evil. This was realized in a wondrous way by God in the death and resurrection of Christ. In fact, from the greatest of all moral evils (the murder of his Son) he has brought forth the greatest of all good (the glorification of Christ and our redemption).
Further reading: CCC 311-314, 324
What are your thoughts? I'm not looking for debates, just your impressions of this question.
as an adult, in a time of awful pain, in the process of personal study of the Book of Hosea, it dawned on me, as i read about God’s plan for Gomer ..
God uses pain for 1 purpose: to draw us closer to Him.

this was a watershed moment for me! and, i’m so thankful for it.
because, following that time, quite a lot of pain+struggle followed, for me and my family, beyond anything we’d imagined. during my husband’s lengthy illness, so many times, i was thankful we had our faith going into it! it sustained us throughout.

what a struggle for those to face horrible things without faith to carry them?! i have witnessed this. the deep despair. it’s heartbreaking.

i do not see a conflict between your OP view and mine.
on MD, i learned from some other members about the Book of Hosea as a metaphor.
i’m still learning.

but, in everyday life, when i’m able and the question arises, i share this view.
that i believe God allows us pain in order to bring us closer to Him.

i pray that, if we are not Hoseas, that we should all become Gomers! :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

I think it comes back to love. Without love being able to be reciprocated it is not a loving relationship. I believe God desires for us to have loving relationships with Him and for us to have loving relationships with each other. The only way for that to happen is by allowing us free will to choose love. So with free will we are also able to choose evil which caused the pain to start in the beginning. Without His allowance for evil we may not understand His love or even the extent of His love.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Wade wrote:I think it comes back to love. Without love being able to be reciprocated it is not a loving relationship. I believe God desires for us to have loving relationships with Him and for us to have loving relationships with each other. The only way for that to happen is by allowing us free will to choose love. So with free will we are also able to choose evil which caused the pain to start in the beginning. Without His allowance for evil we may not understand His love or even the extent of His love.
I agree with Wade. And we have the promise that in everything God is at work to bring about good for those who love Him.

[bible]romans 8,28[/bible]
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit