Are court rulings moderating?

General Christian Theology
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Are court rulings moderating?

Post by temporal1 »

.. As elected and appointed representatives, their important job description: U.S. Publc Servants.
That was a “good idea!” ^^ - Public Service. The heart of a servant. :)
When was it lost? Exchanged for self-interests? :-|

Where is financial accountability for Congress members, esp career politicians, becoming WEALTHY over decades of “service,” not just 4 or 8 years.
O. yes. Making full use of their law degrees, THEY pass laws to protect+enrich THEMSELVES. :shock:
What could possibly go wrong? :-| :shock:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

What is moderate might depend on your perspective. Native people do not find the ruling on icwa (Indian child welfare act) and the postponing of Carpenter vs. Murphy moderate.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

barnhart wrote:What is moderate might depend on your perspective. Native people do not find the ruling on icwa (Indian child welfare act) and the postponing of Carpenter vs. Murphy moderate.
Certainly.

When i began this thread, i was wondering about moderating-away from “strict atheist-humanist reasoning,” to a more Christian-tolerant perspective .. i did not anticipate so many entries here, AND, there have been more cases that could have been added, not all noddng toward Christians,
but it’s reasonable to guess, more than would have been the case, had hillary won in 2016.

i’ve not read a word on the 2 cases you reference.
but, as the OP invites, this thread is open to ideas of “how (general) court winds are blowing.”

OP, Page 1
temporal1 wrote:During 2017, with new presidential leadership, court rulings appear to be moderating-away from strict atheist-humanist reasoning.
This thread can be a place to note various rulings, possibly to get an idea of “how winds are blowing,” for Christians, and people of other faiths. Positives, and negatives?

The perception has been, that Christians have been specially targeted as needing to adjust to societal tastes, and/or, just “go away,” altogether. Christians are not surprised when the world hates them.
Jesus clearly warned to be prepared. But, we are grateful to have respect and freedom to worship, and to raise our families in faith.

These attitudes and rulings vary in other countries, some being much more harsh than what we’ve experienced in the U.S. In some countries, Christians are under physical attack, put in prisons, murdered for their faith. In some cases, as in England, and some other “progressive” European countries, courts regularly rule against Christians, esp in matters of family, employment, free speech, etc.

This thread is principally about what’s happening in U.S. courts, but, mentions of other countries, including our close neighbors, Canada and Mexico, are ok, too.
.. i believe you are a really good reader. you may have overlooked the OP. :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i hope this is realistic. :)
there is reason to hope it is.

Abortion Activist Admits Pro-Lifers are Winning:
“It’s Been a Rough Decade for Supporters of Abortion”

https://www.lifenews.com/2019/12/20/abo ... -abortion/
Pro-life policies within the United States are growing “like a steady drumbeat,” according to an abortion analyst.

State trend analyst for the Guttmacher Institute Elizabeth Nash spoke out about the increase in pro-life legislation across the United States in an interview with BuzzFeed News. The analyst, who works in Guttmacher’s Washington, D.C., office and has studied abortion legislation at the state level since 1999, noted that pro-abortion policies took a hit in 2019.

“It’s been a rough decade for those that support abortion rights,” Nash told Buzzfeed, adding that pro-life policies are growing “like a steady drumbeat getting louder each year.”

“In January 2011, the bills just started flying; the restrictions started moving very quickly,” Nash said. “It kick-started the wave of abortion restrictions we’ve been seeing to this day, and because the pendulum hasn’t fully swung back on the state level, it’s been hard to push back.” .. ..
.. The publication notes that there have been 27 bans on abortion since Kavanaugh’s confirmation—“at rates this country has never seen before.” And three states have adopted legislation in 2019 immediately banning abortion if Roe v. Wade is overturned: Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, and Tennessee.

The pro-abortion Guttmacher Institute is “a leading research and policy organization committed to advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights in the United States and globally.”
A lot of people from different experiences have worked in many different ways on this.

Interesting to witness, from those working to prevent in the moment abortions, some providing “Safe Boxes,” some providing ultrasounds, etc., to those who work with adoptions, those helping mothers who choose to keep their newborns, and those who work with post-abortion women.
And, those who work with legislators. With prayers and support of many.

It is a daunting effort, with one goal: Value Life.

As daunting as the effort is, it’s hard (for me) to grasp that it’s necessary.
The idea that so much effort by so many would be needed for so many years - to accomplish what should be “understood.” The value of life.

It can’t be just about legally defunding and ending abortion.
The most critical part is that young people, teens, children, adults, understand the value of life. Without this understanding, any progress may be short-lived.

i have hope! :)
If people can grasp the importance of not torturing and killing animals, surely the value of human life stands a good chance.

Well. i hope the article is not exaggerated. serious problems remain, worsening in some areas.
0 x

UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

And three states have adopted legislation in 2019 immediately banning abortion if Roe v. Wade is overturned: Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, and Tennessee.
One of the sad things about abortion is how many potential copy editors, mathematicians, and other essential members of society are missing.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:
And three states have adopted legislation in 2019 immediately banning abortion if Roe v. Wade is overturned: Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, and Tennessee.
One of the sad things about abortion is how many potential copy editors, mathematicians, and other essential members of society are missing.
They are missed. :P

As i was thinking over the report, it is interesting the diversity of people who are pro-life.
It’s not 1 organized group, but lots of groups, mostly helping proactively, like Save the Storks, and lots of individuals, all ages and descriptions. (it’s not a big corporation funded, protected, promoted by gov.) Altho, this year, some funds that would have gone to abortion-providers have been shifted to women’s health clinics.

“Each in their own way, in their own words.”
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Page 4 / 2018
temporal1 wrote:For lots of folks, the USSC has put itself in question for years prior to BK.
BK is a result, a response, not an initiator of biased/questionable rulings.

Ginsberg, Sotomayer, Kagan, come to mind.
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/same- ... mpaign=LSN

In future, Amy Coney Barrett may be considered:

The question for this thread began with,
“Are court rulings moderatng?”
At this point, the answer appears to be: Definitely.

Regarding BK, my view is, the noise is about “what he is certain to do.”
But, that is unknown, it’s (more) speculation presented as fact.

Time will tell. In my experience, judges often surprise/disappoint.
They are given leeway to rule, which often turns out unpredicted, and for the best.

Christians can pray for all impacted, now and in future. :)
2020 / Here we are. :)

”Murkowski’s nod gives Barrett extra boost for Supreme Court”
https://apnews.com/article/election-202 ... 274736a0e4
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Elsewhere regarding Barrett:
Page 2 / Amish Trump parade?
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... tt#p103953
Josh wrote:The most important thing for the unborn is probably having a conservative who is anti-abortion
(like Barrett) appointed to the Supreme Court.

And that, friends, has absolutely nothing to do with what any voter goes and does in the ballot box. It is entirely up to people who already won their elections 2 or more years ago.

Personally, my preference would be a for a Supreme Court justice to have a solid conversion experience, and issue rulings with true justice, until their convictions become strong enough they find they need to resign a worldly court, lest they face judgment in the ultimate High Court in the day to come.
“Justice Amy Coney Barrett?”
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... tt#p104047

It’s not done.
It doesn’t feel real.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

2018 / The OP:
temporal1 wrote:During 2017, with new presidential leadership, court rulings appear to be moderating-away from strict atheist-humanist reasoning.
This thread can be a place to note various rulings, possibly to get an idea of “how winds are blowing,” for Christians, and people of other faiths. Positives, and negatives?

The perception has been, that Christians have been specially targeted as needing to adjust to societal tastes, and/or, just “go away,” altogether. Christians are not surprised when the world hates them.
Jesus clearly warned to be prepared. But, we are grateful to have respect and freedom to worship, and to raise our families in faith.

These attitudes and rulings vary in other countries, some being much more harsh than what we’ve experienced in the U.S. In some countries, Christians are under physical attack, put in prisons, murdered for their faith. In some cases, as in England, and some other “progressive” European countries, courts regularly rule against Christians, esp in matters of family, employment, free speech, etc.

This thread is principally about what’s happening in U.S. courts, but, mentions of other countries, including our close neighbors, Canada and Mexico, are ok, too.
Many will be encouraged around the world.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Amy Coney Barrett sworn in as Supreme Court justice / 43 min

i intend to view tonight.
0 x

UNKNOWN