Are court rulings moderating?

General Christian Theology
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Are court rulings moderating?

Post by temporal1 »

D.C.: DOE no longer accepting bathroom complaints
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/trump ... mpaign=LSN

i’m surprised to read this, but, glad to read it. i hope it’s true.
the cost of these frivolous lawsuits, AND the cost of responding to court orders to change facilities, does not resonate. how much has all-this cost taxpayers to date?! wasted time+money.

get thee back to teaching. :-|
.. “Finally on Thursday, Liz Hill, a spokesperson for the agency, responded “yes, that’s what the law says” when asked again if the Education Department holds a current position that restroom complaints from transgender students are not covered by a 1972 federal civil rights law called Title IX.

Asked for further explanation on the department’s position, Hill said Friday, “Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, not gender identity.”

She added that certain types of transgender complaints may be investigated — but not bathroom complaints.

“Where students, including transgender students, are penalized or harassed for failing to conform to sex-based stereotypes, that is sex discrimination prohibited by Title IX,” Hill said. “In the case of bathrooms, however, long-standing regulations provide that separating facilities on the basis of sex is not a form of discrimination prohibited by Title IX.”
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

This ruling in Illinois surprised me.
i did not know about it until reading about the ruling.
this is about gun bans.

The article points out how legal language can be crafted to eliminate freedoms without overtly using the words: “you are forbidden.” Interesting the judge saw through this.

Illinois has that bizarre reality of being very restrictive on gun laws, while also having the most gun violence/fatalities.

Illinois Supreme Court says gun ban near parks unconstitutional
http://www.sj-r.com/news/20180201/illin ... titutional
.. The 25-page opinion, penned by Chief Justice Lloyd Karmeier, says the law — in its scope — functions as “a categorical prohibition without providing an exception for law-abiding individuals.”
He adds: “It is therefore a severe burden on the recognized second amendment right of self-defense.” ..
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Another surprise in Illinois. i’m shocked. :shock:
Wheaton College Wins 5 Year Battle
https://www.becketlaw.org/media/wheaton ... s-mandate/

i realized i started a similar thread on courts. i needn’t have started another. o.well.
In Courts of Human Law / Other category
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=981
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

He wins in court - Oregon man who refuses to pay taxes until abortion is defunded / since 1999
http://www.faithwire.com/2018/04/19/the ... -in-court/

Oregon man protests paying taxes -
http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2018/apr ... conscience

- - - - - - - -

Failed sex ed programs replaced with abstinence-based programs
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2018/04/22 ... mpaign=DMS
.. “Projects will clearly communicate that teen sex is a risk behavior for both the physical consequences of pregnancy and sexual transmitted infections; as well as sociological, economic and other related risks,”
a funding announcement by the Department of Health and Human Services published Friday reads.” ..
i hope this is true.
CDC reports of increases in disease, alone, are ample reason! - and, there is so much more.
children and their families are paying high prices for these questionable ed experiments. they need to be ended.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i’m too tired to think if this might better fit elsewhere. :)
Parental Rights
https://parentalrights.org/

i’m new to this site, have not read all, have not joined anything. reading!

i’m disturbed about parental rights being removed in various states.
people vote to remove their own rights! often, not understanding what they are voting for. :(
Medical Records
A mother in Minnesota was told that she could not access the medical records of any of her children 11 years old or older, or discuss her child's health with the physician, without obtaining her child's permission.*

Books
In most states, you will be denied access to library information about your children, including the titles of books which are accumulating late fees.*

Grades
A mother was refused her 13-year-old daughter's grades when she enrolled her in an algebra class.*
i have seen the notice about 11 year olds and medical records in my state, in my real life.
hopenafuture wrote about some of these things (they home school.)
honestly, i can tell in reader comments on news articles, many-many people have no idea what rights they do not have as parents. it’s sad.
Ever since the Supreme Court's decision in Troxel (2000), parental rights are no longer universally respected as a fundamental right. As a result, we're seeing an alarming trend in the courts towards a lack of parental rights protection.
:(
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Some states are making changes to abortion laws.
Iowa / Roe vs Wade test case coming
http://hermancain.com/iowa-basically-ba ... is-coming/

California / Home Schools and Parents’ Rights
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/calif ... mpaign=LSN
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

More regarding abortion and taxpayers:
“Planned Parenthood is the nation's largest abortion provider.
It spends tens of millions of dollars on political activity including for the President Trump's opponent last time, unsuccessfully.
And there are about 20 qualified women's health centers for every one Planned Parenthood facility -
and those qualified women's health centers, Bill, provide mamograms, STD screenings, contraception.

What they don't provide is abortion.

You can still get an abortion in this country.
You can get it in many different places.
We just don't think taxpayers should have to pay for that." – Kellyanne Conway “
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/05 ... inics.html
The obsession over FUNDING Planned Parenthood makes no sense.
This is a wealthy corporation.
The amount of federal funding for them cannot be critical, THEY HAVE MONEY.

Early on in Trump’s administration, it was reported, he offered to continue funding - IF they discontinued abortion services! In my mind, what a great offer! Get paid, remove expenses, more than a raise, that’s a windfall. They promptly declined.

This suggests that funding represents more than cash.
There must be LEGAL protections involved that support+protect this large corporation.
Those legal protections must be more valuable than the taxpayer dollars involved.

This is my opinion. What i see on both sides of this does not add up.
i’m trying to understand what is really driving this matter. Money and power are the go-to motivators for those digging into the Public Treasury.

Abortion is not healthcare.
In the case of PP, it is premeditated, institutionalized, gov sanctioned, for-profit murder.
This is as grisly as the human condition can get.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

”Christian Baker Wins Supreme Court’s Masterpiece Cakeshop Case”
https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/ ... free-.html
.. “Mark Rienzi, president of Becket (formerly the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty), called the decision “a strong message to governments across the country that they must respect—rather than punish—religious diversity on important issues.” ..

.. Writing for the Southern Baptist Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, Joe Carter noted that the implications of today’s ruling are limited. He concluded:
What is significant about the case, though, is that the Court reiterated, as Justice Kagan says, that “state actors cannot show hostility to religious views; rather, they must give those views “neutral and respectful consideration.” ..
it’s tremendously encouraging this vote was 7-2.
so many recent rulings are decided by 1 vote .. which, to me, is hardly a decision, at all.

lib reporters are jumping on the word, “narrow,” for this particular case - when they routinely indulge in wild celebrations over cases they approve of, determined by 1 vote, or, other truly narrow margins. no matter how small, narrow, or minor their “victories,” they report these as “landslides.”

the nature of this ruling is limited due to the case presented.
but, its importance is as significant as any other.
i am so weary of lib propagandists.

this case is discussed in another thread: (a political prayer thread) :)
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 2&start=40
Page 5 -
Dan Z wrote:Religious liberty is the next great legal issue of our times.
It a core tenet of this country's founding - I can only hope it stays in tact.
Sounds like this verdict did not settle things, but at least it is a step in the right direction.
Like others, I'm thankful for the verdict.
Yes. Decades of ignorance, and ambivalence cannot be corrected in one vote, or in lots of votes.
It will require years of sustained effort, including prayer, to make a real difference.

There is much at stake.

Ireland
Presently, i’ve been unsettled to witness the May 25 vote in Ireland to allow abortion.
“The winners” appear in news reports to be lots of young Irish women somehow convinced that at-will abortion is the answer to all their life’s problems. They are recorded dancing in the streets, not unlike celebrating a big soccer win.

From what i read, in Ireland, much of the vitriol in the vote was directly against the Catholic Church, possbly greater-than the issue of free-will abortion. This is something for Christians to be thinking about regarding, “what makes people vote the way they do?” - and, as Dan is saying, these votes on religious freedoms are very serious, even in the near future.

Those who hate religion, REALLY hate. They are not lukewarm. :-|

It’s unsettling, in the least. imagine how prolife young women must feel in face of that?
it has to be daunting. young people need our prayers. they really do.

Of course, that’s not all. It never is, is it? :-|
Now, “the winners” want to craft law to completely silence any prolife talk; i’m sure they’d like to banish prolife thought, as well .. and, will do their level best to get there.

So strange.
To think, if not for free speech, free society, free vote, these folks would have been silenced long ago.
“To be fair,” they were allowed. Now they’ve reached enough strength they feel they might have a chance to not only dominate, but to obliterate.

So twisted. Leave it to human reasoning to get to such a poor place. :(
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

There’s plenty in this kettle-of-fish, but, media circus does not appear interested:
“SPLC Apologizes, Pays Settlement to Islamic Reformer It Wrongly Labeled ‘Anti-Muslim Extremist’ “
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/maa ... ist-label/

“SPLC apologizes,” are not words i expected to read in my lifetime.
the details of the ruling+apology are significant.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

A big part of the vitriol against the Catholic Church is their decades of covering up abuse, and I can’t really blame the public for their reaction. I wouldn’t trust them either.

In Australia, multiple denominations including my own have also come up quite guilty of repeated, strategic cover-ups of abuse and perpetrators, according to the Royal Commission’s report. The national redress scheme is going to cost Anglicans, Catholics, and others millions of dollars to provide restitution to the victims. The denomination I grew up in, which is now a major global group of churches, also came up guilty with its head global pastor found complicit in coverups as well by the RC.

Meanwhile, various Catholic churches in Australia continue to insist on their “right” not to report abuse to the police:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-2 ... on/9889748
South Australia will legally oblige priests to report any confessions of child sex abuse from October.

In New South Wales, Catholic church leaders have said they were not willing to break the seal of confession to report child sex abuse, and would rather go to jail than abide by the law.
0 x