God Alone

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: God Alone

Post by Bootstrap »

GaryK wrote:Edited to add: And the 2 verses right after the one you quoted ask more questions about the climate/weather. "37 Who can number the clouds by wisdom? Or who can pour out the bottles of heaven, 38 When the dust hardens in clumps, And the clods cling together?

I wonder how mainstream scientists would answer these questions God is asking?
Are you trying to imply that scientists can never know the basics of cloud formation because the Bible promises they won't? I don't think that's really what the text is saying. And even if it were, God wasn't asking a modern scientist today, he was asking Job thousands of years ago.

There may well be things that mainstream scientists know now that Job didn't back then. But if God wanted to ask a similar question of a modern mainstream scientist, there would be plenty of unanswerable questions to prove the point that no mainstream scientist knows what God knows either.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Re: God Alone

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote:
GaryK wrote:And in the 2 verses just ahead of that one God is asking Job "34 Can you lift up your voice to the clouds, That an abundance of water may cover you? 35 Can you send out lightnings, that they may go, And say to you, 'Here we are!'?
OK, I'm pretty sure I can't do that (I didn't even bother trying).

But I'm also pretty sure that we could decimate the entire planet with nuclear weapons. I remember debates where people pointed out we had enough nuclear weapons to destroy the planet, and any more weapons would just "bounce the rubble". That's within the power of man, and I don't think that contradicts what God said.

Climate change is a lot less drastic and scary than that. We do seem to have the power to change things on this planet.
Yes, climate change is a lot less drastic and scary than that and the small amount of warming we may be experiencing is far less drastic than some previous climate events that can only be attributed to an act of God. So I choose to believe that what is happening today with the climate is another act of God regardless what mainstream scientists say.

And I think it's time for me to bow out of this conversation.
0 x