Christian nationalism: the state of the debate

General Christian Theology
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Christian nationalism: the state of the debate

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:44 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:35 pm
Josh wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:09 pm “Christian nationalism” is a bogeyman that seems to mostly exist in your own mind and perhaps the minds of other liberals.
Maybe you should get out more Josh.
I do, and I have yet to see it anywhere except conspiracy theory circles. None of the churches around me are doing this, and Ken’s video wasn’t even of a church.

I do see a lot of people flying flags today - but it is Memorial Day. I am not one of them.

And, Ken, this country was founded by Anglicans and at its founding had 3 state state churches. So your assertion above is incorrect.
There is plenty of Christian nationalism going on that doesn't involve driving tanks over cars.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:12 pm The American nation as reflected in the Constitution was founded as a secular nation with no state church. To the contrary. A state church is explicitly forbidden by the 1st Amendment.
State churches continued to exist after adoption of the First Amendment, which forbids a federal church.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

ohio jones wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:23 pm
Ken wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:12 pm The American nation as reflected in the Constitution was founded as a secular nation with no state church. To the contrary. A state church is explicitly forbidden by the 1st Amendment.
State churches continued to exist after adoption of the First Amendment, which forbids a federal church.
In the US? Where?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

I’m going to point out that a certain somebody who is denying that Christian Nationalism exists has made statements that could be characterized as supportive of a type of Christian nationalism or at least adjacent to Christian Nationalism.
Should we desire unbelievers to be writing laws?
At this country's founding, atheists were considered unreliable witnesses since they had no fear of God nor a fear of eternal punishment, and thus were not able to run for office since they couldn't swear an oath of office.

I see no reason why this situation should change. Atheists are unreliable and untrustworthy. They have rejected truth itself.
Atheism, specifically, is a REJECTION of God, and is a very harmful, toxic ideology that has no place being respected in a society. The Constitution of America allows freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.
I understand this as a viewpoint that argues that people of faith should be the ones running the country because atheists are icky. While that might not be directly Christian Nationalism, I think it’s an argument located somewhere in the neighborhood.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I don’t care who runs our country, but I’d rather it not be Christians to give us a worse name.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:47 pm I understand this as a viewpoint that argues that people of faith should be the ones running the country because atheists are icky. While that might not be directly Christian Nationalism, I think it’s an argument located somewhere in the neighborhood.
Atheists reject truth itself and God’s revealed and inspired word. This goes way beyond being “icky”. Atheism is the literal enemy of men’s souls and will lead many to eternal damnation.

As the Bible says, “The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.”

But going back to Szd’s post, what polity, exactly, are you saying is “good”? Should we have people who are antichrist writing the laws? What exactly do you consider a “good” organisation and system of government?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

This is what we are saying Josh (I assume Szdfan agrees here):

Article VI, Clause 3 of the United States Constitution states: https://constitution.congress.gov/const ... article-6/
"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I’ll repeat myself: at America’s founding, multiple states had established state churches. There was just no single federal government established church.

As far as the clause you just pasted, that applies to federal offices but not local or state ones. For the next century or so, atheists were not reliable as witnesses in a court, let alone eligible to serve in state level offices, because their word was considered worthless. What exactly were they swearing an oath on?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Soloist wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:09 pm I don’t care who runs our country, but I’d rather it not be Christians to give us a worse name.
don’t fret. i don’t believe that’s happening, least of all by the ones who claim it.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:40 pmAs far as the clause you just pasted, that applies to federal offices but not local or state ones. For the next century or so, atheists were not reliable as witnesses in a court, let alone eligible to serve in state level offices, because their word was considered worthless. What exactly were they swearing an oath on?
Read it again. Article VI applies to the states (and by extension localities) as well.

And no, the reason why atheists couldn't testify in court was not because their word was considered worthless. It was because they could not swear an oath to a God that they did not believe in.

The reason that all courts have now switched to allowing witnesses to "swear or affirm" is not to accommodate Anabaptists and other conservative Christians who objected to swearing an oath. But rather, to accommodate atheists and non-believers since the courts eventually found that the First Amendment denies the government any authority to coerce a person into performing a religious act, including swearing oaths on a Bible. The Supreme Court decided that over 80 years ago in McCollum v. Board of Education and then later more directly in the case of Torcaso v. Watkins. Which is why today all courts allow you to either swear or affirm that you will tell the truth.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr