Modern day Israel

General Christian Theology
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Modern day Israel

Post by gcdonner »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:24 am
gcdonner wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:53 pmThe woman's head covering is not about praying or prophesying, but about headship order, which is always in effect. If you dismiss the first verse of the passage (which is the 3rd verse of the chapter), then you miss the whole intent of Paul's teaching. To take it back to the topic at hand, it's like missing Romans 9:6 before attempting to interpret Roms 11:26 and assuming it means ethnic "Israel".
Now that there is downright quotable, George. :D :ugeek:

(even if I don't share your eschatological views... :hug: )
Thank you, (even if I don't share your eschatological views...) :laugh :laugh
Someday you will know better. :mrgreen:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

gcdonner wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:25 pm
Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:24 am
gcdonner wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:53 pmThe woman's head covering is not about praying or prophesying, but about headship order, which is always in effect. If you dismiss the first verse of the passage (which is the 3rd verse of the chapter), then you miss the whole intent of Paul's teaching. To take it back to the topic at hand, it's like missing Romans 9:6 before attempting to interpret Roms 11:26 and assuming it means ethnic "Israel".
Now that there is downright quotable, George. :D :ugeek:
(even if I don't share your eschatological views... :hug: )
Thank you, (even if I don't share your eschatological views...) :laugh :laugh
Someday you will know better. :mrgreen:
We shall, indeed! :hug:
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

gcdonner wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:53 pm
Neto wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:19 pm
I realize that this is off-topic, and I have already said this before, so bear with me. I do not think that there is actually Scriptural support for saying that the veiling needs to be worn outside of worship services, or special times of fellowship & prayer. I think that part of the reason the covering that is used is so small is because of this - safety concerns, the need to be aware of what is going on behind you, etc. It's OK to wear it beyond the prescribed parameters - it's somewhat like non-plain Christians who wear clothing with Christian messages printed on it, or like the fish I wore in HS. (Except that didn't work as expected - the other kids thought I was a "Pisces", so I stopped wearing it, and just carried a Good News for Modern Man with me to all classes, and tried to always to be ready to talk about Jesus with anyone who would listen.)
The woman's head covering is not about praying or prophesying, but about headship order, which is always in effect. If you dismiss the first verse of the passage (which is the 3rd verse of the chapter), then you miss the whole intent of Paul's teaching. To take it back to the topic at hand, it's like missing Romans 9:6 before attempting to interpret Roms 11:26 and assuming it means ethnic "Israel".
Rom 11:2  God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew...

"All Israel" never was the ethnic group, but always the believers and so it is today. There is only ONE avenue into God's grace and that according to the Son of God is:
Joh 14:6  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 
I personally do not think it is ABOUT headship order. This is one of the facts given to support the injunction to carry out this practice.

The supports given are:
1) Headship
2) Created order
3) symbol of authority associated in some way with the angels

Headship order is actually TAUGHT elsewhere, but here it is mentioned as a support, or reason to obey this command, especially in the context as given, which is while praying or prophesying. (This is my understanding of the text. I am NOT in any way discrediting or diminishing the importance of understanding and obeying correct headship. Yes, the text can be used in teaching headship, because since it is used as a support for this command, it is accepted in this text as a given - as an accepted truth. But that is not primarily what this text is about.)
You may of course carry on as you like.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Neto wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:19 pm
Neto wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:19 pm
I realize that this is off-topic, and I have already said this before, so bear with me. I do not think that there is actually Scriptural support for saying that the veiling needs to be worn outside of worship services, or special times of fellowship & prayer. I think that part of the reason the covering that is used is so small is because of this - safety concerns, the need to be aware of what is going on behind you, etc. It's OK to wear it beyond the prescribed parameters - it's somewhat like non-plain Christians who wear clothing with Christian messages printed on it, or like the fish I wore in HS. (Except that didn't work as expected - the other kids thought I was a "Pisces", so I stopped wearing it, and just carried a Good News for Modern Man with me to all classes, and tried to always to be ready to talk about Jesus with anyone who would listen.)
The woman's head covering is not about praying or prophesying, but about headship order, which is always in effect. If you dismiss the first verse of the passage (which is the 3rd verse of the chapter), then you miss the whole intent of Paul's teaching. To take it back to the topic at hand, it's like missing Romans 9:6 before attempting to interpret Roms 11:26 and assuming it means ethnic "Israel".
Rom 11:2  God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew...

"All Israel" never was the ethnic group, but always the believers and so it is today. There is only ONE avenue into God's grace and that according to the Son of God is:
Joh 14:6  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 
I personally do not think it is ABOUT headship order. This is one of the facts given to support the injunction to carry out this practice.

The supports given are:
1) Headship
2) Created order

Headship order is actually TAUGHT elsewhere, but here it is mentioned as a support, or reason to obey this command, especially in the context as given, which is while praying or prophesying. (This is my understanding of the text. I am NOT in any way discrediting or diminishing the importance of understanding and obeying correct headship. Yes, the text can be used in teaching headship, because since it is used as a support for this command, it is accepted in this text as a given - as an accepted truth. But that is not primarily what this text is about.)
If you read the passage in context and sequence, it's stated purpose is headship and the expression of it follows the statement of purpose.
1Co 11:3  But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
 Everything that follows this primary statement is in explanation of and demonstration of Paul's point, not the other way around. Headship is a result of created order and the fact that angels recognize a created order even amongst their own ranks again demonstrates the whole point. But if you choose to disagree, that is your prerogative since you answer to God and not to me...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Neto

Post by Neto »

gcdonner wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:21 am

The supports given are:
1) Headship
2) Created order

If you read the passage in context and sequence, it's stated purpose is headship and the expression of it follows the statement of purpose.
1Co 11:3  But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
 Everything that follows this primary statement is in explanation of and demonstration of Paul's point, not the other way around. Headship is a result of created order and the fact that angels recognize a created order even amongst their own ranks again demonstrates the whole point. But if you choose to disagree, that is your prerogative since you answer to God and not to me...

Yes, we all will answer to God regarding how we each handle the word of God. I certainly and fully agree there. But as to this text, and this question, I HAVE read it, and studied it, and in fact translated it into another language, all in the context. I don't understand why you persist in the implication that I did NOT read it in context. As I already stated, I am not disagreeing with or diminishing in any way the teaching of headship. I DID say that "headship" is clearly taught elsewhere in the Scripture, and that this text, while in my current understanding is clearly presenting "headship" as a support for something else, DOES also clearly assume, without any doubt or need to present additional "arguments" to support it, that it is a given, an accepted truth.
(I have never blocked anyone on MennoDiscuss or MennoNet, and will not, but I generally do not engage with you in discussions here where I already know we have differing viewpoints, because of what happens when I do, just like here. I do not like conflict, and so I will probably not respond to any more statements about this particular difference of opinion. I agree to disagree, and I do respect your opinion, but only request mutual respect.
And I apologize for not including the phrase "in my understanding" in my last parenthetical statement in my previous post. If you feel that I have read the context incorrectly, demonstrate it to me, don't just repeatedly imply that I did not read it in context as well. Maybe I feel strongly about this because saying that this passage is primarily about headship seems to me to diminish the teaching about the importance of the covering, and also the man's bared head, from an important command to obey to a sort of symbol or figure that is merely another support for the teaching of headship. If that viewpoint has blinded me to the context of this passage, then therein lies our difference.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Neto wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:38 am

The supports given are:
1) Headship
2) Created order

Yes, we all will answer to God regarding how we each handle the word of God. I certainly and fully agree there. But as to this text, and this question, I HAVE read it, and studied it, and in fact translated it into another language, all in the context. I don't understand why you persist in the implication that I did NOT read it in context. As I already stated, I am not disagreeing with or diminishing in any way the teaching of headship. I DID say that "headship" is clearly taught elsewhere in the Scripture, and that this text, while in my current understanding is clearly presenting "headship" as a support for something else, DOES also clearly assume, without any doubt or need to present additional "arguments" to support it, that it is a given, an accepted truth.
(I have never blocked anyone on MennoDiscuss or MennoNet, and will not, but I generally do not engage with you in discussions here where I already know we have differing viewpoints, because of what happens when I do, just like here. I do not like conflict, and so I will probably not respond to any more statements about this particular difference of opinion. I agree to disagree, and I do respect your opinion, but only request mutual respect.
And I apologize for not including the phrase "in my understanding" in my last parenthetical statement in my previous post. If you feel that I have read the context incorrectly, demonstrate it to me, don't just repeatedly imply that I did not read it in context as well. Maybe I feel strongly about this because saying that this passage is primarily about headship seems to me to diminish the teaching about the importance of the covering, and also the man's bared head, from an important command to obey to a sort of symbol or figure that is merely another support for the teaching of headship. If that viewpoint has blinded me to the context of this passage, then therein lies our difference.)
I think you just contradicted yourself in your last statements... But, what is it that it is in support of that is taught elsewhere?
I am sorry that you think I am trying to create conflict with you. You seem to have trouble with someone challenging your perspective. I didn't rant against you, like you have done against me...
I know you have read the passage, but so have many other people who simply choose to ignore it, which I wasn't accusing you of, but that you might be breezing over the controlling phrase that defines the intent of the passage.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

gcdonner wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:57 am
Neto wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:38 am

I think you just contradicted yourself in your last statements... But, what is it that it is in support of that is taught elsewhere?
I am sorry that you think I am trying to create conflict with you. You seem to have trouble with someone challenging your perspective. I didn't rant against you, like you have done against me...
I know you have read the passage, but so have many other people who simply choose to ignore it, which I wasn't accusing you of, but that you might be breezing over the controlling phrase that defines the intent of the passage.
The 'it' in the earlier statement refers to the text under consideration. What I intended to communicate (and apparently not well, since you see a contradiction in what i said) is that I do not think that the primary SUBJECT of the passage is headship. It is mentioned, yes, and as I said, in a way that plainly considers it a teaching which is already accepted as truth by the recipients of the letter. It is a given. Paul does not go on to defend headship more fully in this passage because he doesn't need to. He is (in my understanding) presenting it as a reason why they need to listen to what he is saying about the veiled and unveiled head.

I'm sorry, but this question I do not understand:
But, what is it that it is in support of that is taught elsewhere?
And I frankly do not see anything in what I wrote that is a "rant against you". But since I apparently DID come across that way, I apologize for what I said of a personal nature.

You also point out that many people simply ignore the passage. This is an important point, and it has the unfortunate result that most commentaries do not do an honest job of exegesis on this passage. (Many not only discount the veiled and unveiled head, but also headship.) In a translation workshop some 30 years or more ago a new commentary on I Corinthians was mentioned. During a break I asked how I Cor 11 was handled. The woman who had mentioned it replied that "Well, it's cultural, of course!" Another translator (much more experienced than I) defended the idea that a good commentary would outline the different interpretations of the passage, and he didn't even agree with our understanding of it - at the basic level, that it ought to be practiced. Later the course teacher (who was also my translation consultant in that workshop) asked me if still wanted to work with her and her husband. Of course I did. Later someone explained to me why my question had upset her. They told me that she had grown up and gotten married in a church group (strict Pentecostal, I think; anyways not Mennonite) that took a strong position on uncut hair (and probably also headship). Some years after she & her husband had started translation work in Brazil she got cancer and lost all of her hair during the treatment. She found that she liked having short hair, and never let it grow back to full length. (They suggested that she must still feel some conviction about it, or possibly just reacted to having experienced that teaching, and then having rejected it.) My wife has never cut her hair either, and she lived with it there in the Amazon for 18 years. So I fully realize how much easier (and comfortable) it would be to have short hair. (As fully as a man can understand it, I should say.)

As to headship, I was somewhat of a "target" for some of the single lady missionaries who would put books in my mail box that they thought I ought to read - books that explained how Paul didn't really mean it when he said that women should not hold positions of spiritual authority. The main one was also the translation consultant I worked with more than any other. Some other men translators declined to work with women consultants, but I didn't (refuse to consult with them), because the WBT policy is that a consultant cannot refuse to approve a translation that follows an interpretation that has adequate commentary support. They can give their opinion, but assuming there is commentary support, the translator has the final say. (The result of this is that some very good translators do not make good translation consultants, because they cannot bring themselves to allow the translator to take an interpretation they do not also share, and continue to pressure them to change to the one they like themselves. But I may also be a bit touchy about opinions that are expressed in such a way that they come across to me like most "devotional commentaries", which, even if they present multiple possible interpretations, will attempt to blast all but the one they favor. A good exegetical commentary on the other hand will present each view, give pros & cons for each, and leave the reader to make their own determination. I know I do not always do that here myself, so I am criticizing myself as much as anyone else.)
1 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Neto wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:57 pm I DID say that "headship" is clearly taught elsewhere in the Scripture, and that this text, while in my current understanding is clearly presenting "headship" as a support for something else, DOES also clearly assume, without any doubt or need to present additional "arguments" to support it, that it is a given, an accepted truth.

Where else in scripture is the principle of headship taught? I am familiar with the passages in 1Pet 3 & Eph 5, are those the passages that you are referring to? While they make reference to it, headship is not as clearly put forth as in 1 Cor 11. Are there other passages that you had in mind?
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

gcdonner wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:09 pm
Neto wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:57 pm I DID say that "headship" is clearly taught elsewhere in the Scripture, and that this text, while in my current understanding is clearly presenting "headship" as a support for something else, DOES also clearly assume, without any doubt or need to present additional "arguments" to support it, that it is a given, an accepted truth.

Where else in scripture is the principle of headship taught? I am familiar with the passages in 1Pet 3 & Eph 5, are those the passages that you are referring to? While they make reference to it, headship is not as clearly put forth as in 1 Cor 11. Are there other passages that you had in mind?
First, I will readily admit that this is not something I have specifically studied in the sense of having gathered a lot of references. I think that many others here could do a better job of this than I can. Also, I don’t have as much time available as should be given to this, either.

As the passage in I Cor 11 also does, it is often linked with the created order. I think that it is in fact a part of the human conscience, that which all people receive as human beings, created in the image of God. Part of this is linked to Scripture, that we are created in His image. In that sense it is logical that one would expect to find some “universal rules of morality” that are prevalent in nearly every culture. I have tried to find out who it was, but a Bible translator came from Bolivia once while we were out on the mission center, and gave a talk about something that had happened in the tribe where he & his wife worked. That culture was not only matrilocal (Gen 2:24), but matriarchal as well. But what he discovered was that there were a lot of jokes and legends that poked fun at or challenged the cultural value of matriarchalism in that culture. To be as brief as possible about this, when a young couple decided together to break this cultural more, it transformed the entire tribe. The men organized to protest the constant encroachment of illegal fishermen, farmers, miners, and woodcutters into their territory. I do want to emphasize that this decision was made with the wife’s cooperation – submission, not subjugation. (After this unexpected result in that tribe, he went on to study other cultures, including some American Indian tribes, and found the same thing.) The tone of Scripture not only teaches submission, but it also strongly teaches men to love and care for their wives, giving as the supreme example our Savior, in his love for the Congregation of God, his flock of sheep. (In the case of this visiting missionary-anthropologist, there was also strong opposition which sprung up against what he had presented. Part of this may have come anyway, but I think that any practice of subjugation will breed rebellion, and so we men have this great responsibility, all the way from “leaving home” to “cleaving to our own wife”., and loving like Christ.)

I see headship more in the sense of “responsibility” than “right”. For instance, husbands are told to love their wives in the same way as Christ loves the congregation of God. The one word that describes that to me is self-sacrifice. I Peter 3:1-7 speaks of the wife as the “weaker vessel”. Rather than find that insulting, it can be comforting. (I really feel uncomfortable in speaking to this particular part of the subject - a godly woman could do better to describe how a real “headship man” makes her feel and respond.)

In some sense, the New Testament (and perhaps specifically the letters of Paul) leans toward creating a balance against strict, unloving partriarchalism. Some take this to be a sign that Paul wanted to go farther, but only did what he thought he could “get by with”, as though if he were writing now, he would full out endorse “egalitarianism”. For myself, I rather suspect that in his letters to some modern-day congregations the message of headship would be even stronger than what it is, and there would be more said about it. In this sense the seemingly little bit that focuses on this topic is all the more important. But not that there is too much love for wives on the part of husbands – that part is still greatly needed.

I haven’t really answered your question well. I know that, But here’s an interesting text, I Tim 3:1-5. In verse 4 we have the word which is rendered as “manage” in the NIV (the original, anyway – I don’t have one more recent than that.) and as “ruleth” in the KJV. It is interesting that other usages of this word in the NT have suggested meanings such as “guide”, and “be active in helping”. (This is from the Louw & Nida Greek Lexicon, which perhaps you have as well.) I think this fits perfectly well with Christ as head of the church. He is the one who guides us, is active in helping us. Isn't that what real leaders do? (I'll get carried away here again if I don't stop, but I also recall that the "head" is spoken of in relation to the body, the body that is intricately connected to the head. It isn't like a Sargent in a military training camp getting in the face of the new recruit, insulting him. (Not having ever been in the military, I don't know if it's really like that, it's just the way I've seen it depicted.)

But I’ve carried on here long enough, especially since we have dragged this discussion pretty far away from the original topic.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Neto wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:30 pm
gcdonner wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:09 pm

First, I will readily admit that this is not something I have specifically studied in the sense of having gathered a lot of references. I think that many others here could do a better job of this than I can. Also, I don’t have as much time available as should be given to this, either.

As the passage in I Cor 11 also does, it is often linked with the created order. I think that it is in fact a part of the human conscience, that which all people receive as human beings, created in the image of God. Part of this is linked to Scripture, that we are created in His image. In that sense it is logical that one would expect to find some “universal rules of morality” that are prevalent in nearly every culture. I have tried to find out who it was, but a Bible translator came from Bolivia once while we were out on the mission center, and gave a talk about something that had happened in the tribe where he & his wife worked. That culture was not only matrilocal (Gen 2:24), but matriarchal as well. But what he discovered was that there were a lot of jokes and legends that poked fun at or challenged the cultural value of matriarchalism in that culture. To be as brief as possible about this, when a young couple decided together to break this cultural more, it transformed the entire tribe. The men organized to protest the constant encroachment of illegal fishermen, farmers, miners, and woodcutters into their territory. I do want to emphasize that this decision was made with the wife’s cooperation – submission, not subjugation. (After this unexpected result in that tribe, he went on to study other cultures, including some American Indian tribes, and found the same thing.) The tone of Scripture not only teaches submission, but it also strongly teaches men to love and care for their wives, giving as the supreme example our Savior, in his love for the Congregation of God, his flock of sheep. (In the case of this visiting missionary-anthropologist, there was also strong opposition which sprung up against what he had presented. Part of this may have come anyway, but I think that any practice of subjugation will breed rebellion, and so we men have this great responsibility, all the way from “leaving home” to “cleaving to our own wife”., and loving like Christ.)

I see headship more in the sense of “responsibility” than “right”. For instance, husbands are told to love their wives in the same way as Christ loves the congregation of God. The one word that describes that to me is self-sacrifice. I Peter 3:1-7 speaks of the wife as the “weaker vessel”. Rather than find that insulting, it can be comforting. (I really feel uncomfortable in speaking to this particular part of the subject - a godly woman could do better to describe how a real “headship man” makes her feel and respond.)

In some sense, the New Testament (and perhaps specifically the letters of Paul) leans toward creating a balance against strict, unloving partriarchalism. Some take this to be a sign that Paul wanted to go farther, but only did what he thought he could “get by with”, as though if he were writing now, he would full out endorse “egalitarianism”. For myself, I rather suspect that in his letters to some modern-day congregations the message of headship would be even stronger than what it is, and there would be more said about it. In this sense the seemingly little bit that focuses on this topic is all the more important. But not that there is too much love for wives on the part of husbands – that part is still greatly needed.

I haven’t really answered your question well. I know that, But here’s an interesting text, I Tim 3:1-5. In verse 4 we have the word which is rendered as “manage” in the NIV (the original, anyway – I don’t have one more recent than that.) and as “ruleth” in the KJV. It is interesting that other usages of this word in the NT have suggested meanings such as “guide”, and “be active in helping”. (This is from the Louw & Nida Greek Lexicon, which perhaps you have as well.) I think this fits perfectly well with Christ as head of the church. He is the one who guides us, is active in helping us. Isn't that what real leaders do? (I'll get carried away here again if I don't stop, but I also recall that the "head" is spoken of in relation to the body, the body that is intricately connected to the head. It isn't like a Sargent in a military training camp getting in the face of the new recruit, insulting him. (Not having ever been in the military, I don't know if it's really like that, it's just the way I've seen it depicted.)

But I’ve carried on here long enough, especially since we have dragged this discussion pretty far away from the original topic.
I think we agree on the principle of headship. I don't believe in being a "master" over my wife, though the responsibility before God is ultimately mine as the husband. In Ephesians 5 Paul prefaces the teaching there with the encouragement to "submit to one another" and indeed as you pointed out quite well, our perfect example is Christ, who loved the church and gave himself for it. Some men want to hear about their wives submitting to them, but turn a deaf ear to laying down their own life for their wife. My dad used to use a phrase that I have adopted from him:
"The man is the head of the house, but the wife is the neck that turns the head."
Thank you for your kind and insightful response above.
1 x