Speaking Truth in Posts

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Speaking Truth in Posts

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:19 pm It is also not "stalking" or "cyber-stalking" to participate in a public forum. If someone doesn't like someone replying to their posts... they can leave the forum and stop posting. Or just ignore that poster.
If someone consistently promotes claims that are patently untrue, we should point that out. Politely, respectfully, but without pretending.

The alternative is to let these things become accepted truth. Liars often try to use group think and social norms to protect their lies. They do this in very holy, self-righteous language. They want to make truth telling socially unacceptable. We all know families where we must not talk about Uncle X's drinking or how Uncle Y treats his wife. Or churches where sexual abuse was swept under the table because we did not dare talk about it. Let's not be that way.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

How we post is how we speak. Seeking truth, I believe, about anything has some direction in the scriptures on just how we go about it.

Here are a few verses that I think reminds us of just how well we are controlling our post language. I do need to be reminded of them because of the battle I have with my flesh. - https://www.openbible.info/topics/our_speech

I found this text especially good reminding me of some characteristics that Paul urges me, through the Spirit, to walk as a believer - Eph 4:1-3
I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:08 am How we post is how we speak. Seeking truth, I believe, about anything has some direction in the scriptures on just how we go about it.

Here are a few verses that I think reminds us of just how well we are controlling our post language. I do need to be reminded of them because of the battle I have with my flesh. - https://www.openbible.info/topics/our_speech

I found this text especially good reminding me of some characteristics that Paul urges me, through the Spirit, to walk as a believer - Eph 4:1-3
I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
I don't think the Bible says we must not be direct in confronting lies, though. Ananias and Sapphira, in Acts 5, comes to mind. Or Achan in Joshua 7. Or Gehazi in 2 Kings 5.

Yes, we should start out gently, and our goal is not to tear people down. But if we cannot have truth because we insist on propping up people's illusions or internet fantasies, we've fallen into another ditch. We wind up tip-toeing around the truth in order to avoid offending liars. And eventually, the lies become part of our "truth".
2 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:08 am How we post is how we speak. Seeking truth, I believe, about anything has some direction in the scriptures on just how we go about it.

Do you believe this desire embraces untruth?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

silentreader wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:04 am

No. I believe it gives us a manner in which to deal with what we believe is not truth as stated 'in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called'. This manner as explained, to me, is indicative of being filled and guided by the Holy Spirit and not allowing our fleshly nature driving our eagerness.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:27 am

No. I believe it gives us a manner in which to deal with what we believe is not truth as stated 'in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called'. This manner as explained, to me, is indicative of being filled and guided by the Holy Spirit and not allowing our fleshly nature driving our eagerness.
Can you provide an example situated for my “president of Exxon and tomato fuel?”
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:42 am

Can you provide an example situated for my “president of Exxon and tomato fuel?”
Can I ? Perhaps. Will I ? No.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Interesting facts: Ohio was the first place to mass produce tomatoes and the birthplace of America's tomato industry. Another interesting fact: Ohio is a big oil & gas producing area and the HQ of Marathon Oil. And the first discovery of oil in America wasn't too far away from here either.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy, I agree wholeheartedly. Matthew 12:36 is particularly attention-grabbing. In my experience, everyone has been guilty of this behavior at one time or another.
Additionally I regard "fleshly nature" as letting the emotions drive the mouth instead of openness to the Holy Spirit via prayer and careful consideration.

I have observed in my lifetime that those who frequently speak in anger or high emotion (such as exaggeration) are generally struggling with other issues as well, e.g. perhaps medical issues or immaturity, or trauma. Immaturity of personality can impact the other two as well.

I have often seen my wife, my daughter and my granddaughter tell their children who may be overwrought and spouting to "stop, pray, and breathe". Then they encourage the child to speak carefully. I think it is quite remarkable that the children respond so readily.

It certainly is a learned behavior.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:48 pm Matthew 12:36 is particularly attention-grabbing.
So is bolding your posts, which you seem to be doing quite a bit recently. Please discontinue.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited