Can Anabaptism be Catholic and vice versa?

General Christian Theology
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Can Anabaptism be Catholic and vice versa?

Post by Soloist »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:02 pm Yeah, but when your leaders refused to pay war taxes, mouthed off to emperors during trial calling him the Turk of the spirit, bragged that if he was to fight in the war he’d fight on the other side, he wasn’t exactly following the example of Jesus. He was of another spirit, imo.
Michael Sattler who you are referring to was not before an emperor and his statement was taken out of context

https://www.homecomers.org/mirror/martyrs057.htm

You call him a bad witness, who’s witness was worse here?
After a long trial an the day of his departure from this world, the articles being many, Michael Sattler* requested that they should be read to him again and that he should have another hearing. This the bailiff, as the governor of his lord, opposed and would not consent to it. Michael Sattler then requested permission to speak. After a consultation, the judges returned as their answer, that if his opponents would allow it, they (the judges) would consent. Thereupon the town clerk of Ensisheim, as the attorney of said Governor spoke thus, "Prudent, honorable and wise Sirs, He has boasted of the Holy Ghost. Now, if his boast is true, it seems to me, it is unnecessary to grant him this; for if he has the Holy Ghost, as he boasts, the same will tell him what has been done here." To this Michael Sattler replied, "Ye servants of God, I hope my request will not be denied; for said articles are as yet unknown to me.
Eighthly, If the Turks should come, we ought not to resist them; for it is written: Thou shalt not kill. We must not defend ourselves against the Turks and others of our persecutors, but are to beseech God with earnest prayer to repel and resist them. But that I said, that if warring were right, I would rather take the field against the so-called Christians, who persecute, apprehend and kill pious Christians, than against the Turks,was for this reason: The Turk is a true Turk, knows nothing of the Christian faith; and is a Turk after the flesh; but you, who would be Christians, and who make your boast of Christ, persecute the pious witnesses of Christ, and are Turks after the spirit. Ex. 20:13; Matt. 7:7; Tit. 1:16., "In conclusion: Ye ministers of God, I admonish you to consider the end for which God has appointed you, to punish the evil, and to defend and protect the pious. Whereas, then, we have not acted contrary to God and the Gospel, you will find that neither I nor my brethren and sisters have offended in word or deed against any authority. Therefore, ye ministers of God, if ye have not heard or read the Word of God, send for the most learned, and for the sacred books of the Bible, of whatsoever language they may be, and let them confer with us in the Word of God; and if they prove to us with the Holy Scriptures, that we err and are in the wrong, we will gladly desist and recant and also willingly suffer the sentence and punishment for that of which we have been accused, but if no error is proven to us, I hope to God, that you will be converted, and receive instruction." Wisd. 6:4; Acts 25:8; Rom. 13:4; Acts 25:11.
Upon this speech the judges laughed and put their heads together, and the town clerk of Ensisheim said, "O you infamous, desperate villain and monk, shall we dispute with you? The hangman shall dispute with you, I assure you."
Michael said, "God's will be done."
The town clerk said, "It were well if you had never been born."
Michael replied, "God knows what is good."
Town Clerk, "You arch-heretic, you have seduced the pious; if they would only now forsake their error, and accept grace."
Michael: "Grace is with God alone."
One of the prisoners also said, "We must not depart from the truth."
Town Clerk: "You desperate villain and archheretic, I tell you if there were no hangman here,

Page 418
I would hang you myself, and think that I had done God service."
Michael:. "God will judge aright."
Thereupon the town clerk said a few words to him in Latin, what we do not know.
Michael Sattler answered him Judica.
The town clerk then admonished the judges and said: -"He will not cease from this talk today; therefore my Lord judge, proceed with the sentence; I will commit -it to the law."
The judge asked Michael Sattler whether he also committed it to the law.
He replied, "Ye ministers of God, I am not sent to judge the Word of God; we are sent to bear witness of it, and, hence, cannot consent to any law, since we have no command from God concerning it; but if we can not be discharged from the law, we are ready to suffer for the Word of God whatever sufferings are, or may be imposed upon us all for the sake of the faith in Christ Jesus our Saviour, as long as we have breath within us; unless we be dissuaded from it by the Scriptures."
The town clerk said, "The hangman shall convince you; he shall dispute with you, arch-heretic."
Michael: ."I appeal to the Scriptures."
Then the judges arose, and went into another room, where they remained for an hour and a.half, and determined on the sentence. Matt. 6:10; John 16:2; I Cor. 4:5; John 1:8; Job 27:3.; Acts 25:11.
In the meantime, some in the room treated Michael Sattler most unmercifully, heaping reproach upon him. One of them said, "What have you in expectation -for yourself and the others, that you have so seduced them?" With this, he also drew forth a sword which lay upon the table, saying, "See, with this shall they dispute with thee." But Michael did not answer. upon a single word concerning his person, but willingly endured it all. One of the prisoners said, "We must not cast pearls before swine." Matt. 27:14; 7:6.
Being-also asked, why he had not remained a lord in the convent, Michael answered, "According to the flesh I was a lord; but it is better so." He did not say more than what is recorded here, and this he spoke fearlessly.
The judges having returned to the room, the sentence'was read. It was as follows, "In the case of the Governor of his Imperial Majesty versus Michael Sattler, judgment is passed, that Michael Sattler shall be delivered to 'the executioner, who shall lead him to the place of execution, and cut out his tongue; then throw him upon a wagon, and there tear his body twice with red hot tongs; and after he has been brought without the gate, he shall be pinched five times in the same manner."
After this had been done in the manner prescribed, he was burned to ashes as a heretic. His fellow brethren were executed with the sword, and the sisters drowned. His wife, also; after being subjected to many entreaties, admonitions and threats, under which she remained very steadfast,was drowned a few days afterwards. Done the 21st day of May, A. D. 1527.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Falco Knotwise
Affiliation: Roman Catholic

Post by Falco Knotwise »

Judas, I’m not responding to you anymore. You’re nothing but trouble. Please do not post to me.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:22 pm Judas, I’m not responding to you anymore. You’re nothing but trouble. Please do not post to me.
You can set anyone you dislike as a foe but don’t expect people to ignore things contrary to historical record or Scripture.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Soloist wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:16 pm
Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:02 pm Yeah, but when your leaders refused to pay war taxes, mouthed off to emperors during trial calling him the Turk of the spirit, bragged that if he was to fight in the war he’d fight on the other side, he wasn’t exactly following the example of Jesus. He was of another spirit, imo.
Michael Sattler who you are referring to was not before an emperor and his statement was taken out of context

https://www.homecomers.org/mirror/martyrs057.htm

You call him a bad witness, who’s witness was worse here?
After a long trial an the day of his departure from this world, the articles being many, Michael Sattler* requested that they should be read to him again and that he should have another hearing. This the bailiff, as the governor of his lord, opposed and would not consent to it. Michael Sattler then requested permission to speak. After a consultation, the judges returned as their answer, that if his opponents would allow it, they (the judges) would consent. Thereupon the town clerk of Ensisheim, as the attorney of said Governor spoke thus, "Prudent, honorable and wise Sirs, He has boasted of the Holy Ghost. Now, if his boast is true, it seems to me, it is unnecessary to grant him this; for if he has the Holy Ghost, as he boasts, the same will tell him what has been done here." To this Michael Sattler replied, "Ye servants of God, I hope my request will not be denied; for said articles are as yet unknown to me.
Eighthly, If the Turks should come, we ought not to resist them; for it is written: Thou shalt not kill. We must not defend ourselves against the Turks and others of our persecutors, but are to beseech God with earnest prayer to repel and resist them. But that I said, that if warring were right, I would rather take the field against the so-called Christians, who persecute, apprehend and kill pious Christians, than against the Turks,was for this reason: The Turk is a true Turk, knows nothing of the Christian faith; and is a Turk after the flesh; but you, who would be Christians, and who make your boast of Christ, persecute the pious witnesses of Christ, and are Turks after the spirit. Ex. 20:13; Matt. 7:7; Tit. 1:16., "In conclusion: Ye ministers of God, I admonish you to consider the end for which God has appointed you, to punish the evil, and to defend and protect the pious. Whereas, then, we have not acted contrary to God and the Gospel, you will find that neither I nor my brethren and sisters have offended in word or deed against any authority. Therefore, ye ministers of God, if ye have not heard or read the Word of God, send for the most learned, and for the sacred books of the Bible, of whatsoever language they may be, and let them confer with us in the Word of God; and if they prove to us with the Holy Scriptures, that we err and are in the wrong, we will gladly desist and recant and also willingly suffer the sentence and punishment for that of which we have been accused, but if no error is proven to us, I hope to God, that you will be converted, and receive instruction." Wisd. 6:4; Acts 25:8; Rom. 13:4; Acts 25:11.
Upon this speech the judges laughed and put their heads together, and the town clerk of Ensisheim said, "O you infamous, desperate villain and monk, shall we dispute with you? The hangman shall dispute with you, I assure you."
Michael said, "God's will be done."
The town clerk said, "It were well if you had never been born."
Michael replied, "God knows what is good."
Town Clerk, "You arch-heretic, you have seduced the pious; if they would only now forsake their error, and accept grace."
Michael: "Grace is with God alone."
One of the prisoners also said, "We must not depart from the truth."
Town Clerk: "You desperate villain and archheretic, I tell you if there were no hangman here,

Page 418
I would hang you myself, and think that I had done God service."
Michael:. "God will judge aright."
Thereupon the town clerk said a few words to him in Latin, what we do not know.
Michael Sattler answered him Judica.
The town clerk then admonished the judges and said: -"He will not cease from this talk today; therefore my Lord judge, proceed with the sentence; I will commit -it to the law."
The judge asked Michael Sattler whether he also committed it to the law.
He replied, "Ye ministers of God, I am not sent to judge the Word of God; we are sent to bear witness of it, and, hence, cannot consent to any law, since we have no command from God concerning it; but if we can not be discharged from the law, we are ready to suffer for the Word of God whatever sufferings are, or may be imposed upon us all for the sake of the faith in Christ Jesus our Saviour, as long as we have breath within us; unless we be dissuaded from it by the Scriptures."
The town clerk said, "The hangman shall convince you; he shall dispute with you, arch-heretic."
Michael: ."I appeal to the Scriptures."
Then the judges arose, and went into another room, where they remained for an hour and a.half, and determined on the sentence. Matt. 6:10; John 16:2; I Cor. 4:5; John 1:8; Job 27:3.; Acts 25:11.
In the meantime, some in the room treated Michael Sattler most unmercifully, heaping reproach upon him. One of them said, "What have you in expectation -for yourself and the others, that you have so seduced them?" With this, he also drew forth a sword which lay upon the table, saying, "See, with this shall they dispute with thee." But Michael did not answer. upon a single word concerning his person, but willingly endured it all. One of the prisoners said, "We must not cast pearls before swine." Matt. 27:14; 7:6.
Being-also asked, why he had not remained a lord in the convent, Michael answered, "According to the flesh I was a lord; but it is better so." He did not say more than what is recorded here, and this he spoke fearlessly.
The judges having returned to the room, the sentence'was read. It was as follows, "In the case of the Governor of his Imperial Majesty versus Michael Sattler, judgment is passed, that Michael Sattler shall be delivered to 'the executioner, who shall lead him to the place of execution, and cut out his tongue; then throw him upon a wagon, and there tear his body twice with red hot tongs; and after he has been brought without the gate, he shall be pinched five times in the same manner."
After this had been done in the manner prescribed, he was burned to ashes as a heretic. His fellow brethren were executed with the sword, and the sisters drowned. His wife, also; after being subjected to many entreaties, admonitions and threats, under which she remained very steadfast,was drowned a few days afterwards. Done the 21st day of May, A. D. 1527.
It seems that some Roman Catholics haven't much changed their attitude since Sattler's day.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

No matter how exemplary their behavior was otherwise, he was acting foolish and as a revolutionary rogue when he did that. It was sad but your leaders chose to war with the state, imo.
So, he should recant his faith, and just go along with what is demonstrably a false religion that puts on show trials? I see nothing in the account of Michael Sattler’s trial that would suggest that war taxes was the issue. Nonresistance and faith were the issues. He would not fight the Turks, and he would not recant his faith. Even a simple Wikipedia search will tell you:

Sattler was charged with defying the emperor, rejecting the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, rejecting infant baptism, rejecting extreme unction, dishonoring the saints, teaching against oaths, practicing the love feast, marrying, and advocating nonresistance.

“Defying the Emperor “ was essentially refusing to recant. And if the state tells me to recant my faith, I will refuse too. All of us will.
2 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:22 pm Judas, I’m not responding to you anymore. You’re nothing but trouble. Please do not post to me.
I will do as I please. You are neither a moderator or the op.
0 x
:hug:
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Why is it JM's responsibility to ignore you just because you don't like what he says and have no good answers to his arguments?
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:29 pm

No matter how exemplary their behavior was otherwise, he was acting foolish and as a revolutionary rogue when he did that. It was sad but your leaders chose to war with the state, imo.
So, he should recant his faith, and just go along with what is demonstrably a false religion that puts on show trials? I see nothing in the account of Michael Sattler’s trial that would suggest that war taxes was the issue. Nonresistance and faith were the issues. He would not fight the Turks, and he would not recant his faith. Even a simple Wikipedia search will tell you:

Sattler was charged with defying the emperor, rejecting the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, rejecting infant baptism, rejecting extreme unction, dishonoring the saints, teaching against oaths, practicing the love feast, marrying, and advocating nonresistance.

“Defying the Emperor “ was essentially refusing to recant. And if the state tells me to recant my faith, I will refuse too. All of us will.
I'd much rather be associated with Sattler than with the judges, the clerk, or the executioner.
2 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:42 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:30 pm
Why is it JM's responsibility to ignore you just because you don't like what he says and have no good answers to his arguments?
Why does he need you to stick up for him? Besides I asked him nicely, I didn’t demand anything like a moderator. He’s just being an ass like all three of you always are.
Thank you for your kind words.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

You know, we aren’t name calling. We are pointing out your claims aren’t valid.
0 x