Without fault

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Without fault

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:01 am That is not my position. We are called to judge and God passes the sentence. In the case of Ananias and Sapphira, God’s sentence was death.

Christians absolutely are called to judge disputes amongst themselves and also to judge wicked sinners and excommunicate them. That is the entire topic of 1 Co 5 & 6.
My understanding is that although we are to do certain judging within a local assembly of believers to do with obvious unconfessed sin, and when there is refusal to repent, than some form of 'shunnning' is required.

I think James in James 4, is talking about the attitude we might have when judgments are made speaking against a Christian brother. It can expose a judgemental attitude on a way of speaking that dishonours the Lord. A critical and superior attitude, that elevates self above others. It places 'self' in the role of judge - a position of which God only is worthy. He teaches that disparaging a fellow believer can emit a spirit of negativity and unlawful condemnation.

Anyway, imo, we have wandered off this thread's initial questions and I didn't lead the way this time. :lol:
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:24 am
Josh wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:01 am That is not my position. We are called to judge and God passes the sentence. In the case of Ananias and Sapphira, God’s sentence was death.

Christians absolutely are called to judge disputes amongst themselves and also to judge wicked sinners and excommunicate them. That is the entire topic of 1 Co 5 & 6.
My understanding is that although we are to do certain judging within a local assembly of believers to do with obvious unconfessed sin, and when there is refusal to repent, than some form of 'shunnning' is required.

I think James in James 4, is talking about the attitude we might have when judgments are made speaking against a Christian brother. It can expose a judgemental attitude on a way of speaking that dishonours the Lord. A critical and superior attitude, that elevates self above others. It places 'self' in the role of judge - a position of which God only is worthy. He teaches that disparaging a fellow believer can emit a spirit of negativity and unlawful condemnation.

Anyway, imo, we have wandered off this thread's initial questions and I didn't lead the way this time. :lol:
An example of the kind of judging that we need to do is to judge when we find we have a child abuser in our midst. It is not comfortable or "fun" or easy to pass judgment but it is requirement to do so as a functioning body of believers.

We need to do so not just to potentially save the soul of the abuser from eternal destruction, but also in order to safeguard the lives of the precious victims and would-be victims and also that we not tarnish the reputation of our Christian church to the world.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:32 pm
Sudsy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:24 am

An example of the kind of judging that we need to do is to judge when we find we have a child abuser in our midst. It is not comfortable or "fun" or easy to pass judgment but it is requirement to do so as a functioning body of believers.

We need to do so not just to potentially save the soul of the abuser from eternal destruction, but also in order to safeguard the lives of the precious victims and would-be victims and also that we not tarnish the reputation of our Christian church to the world.
I don't disagree except I may disagree on what are grounds for excommunication and what is not.

How do you understand Romans 14 where it says not to judge other Christians ? I believe there definitely is a time to judge and a time not to judge and we Christians cross that line at times.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit