The Catholic Faith in a Nutshell

General Christian Theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: The Catholic Faith in a Nutshell

Post by Ernie »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:39 am As you said, these are distinctive beliefs and emphases, places where Catholics are different from other Christians. Therefore, it does not emphasize what Catholics have in common with other Christians.

That's a little different from "The Catholic Faith in a Nutshell" - I would hope that would focus strongly on what we do hold in common, without avoiding the things where we differ.
Good point.
I understood MaxPC to say that it is not possible to describe the Catholic faith in a nutshell. I'm guessing there are Catholics who believe it is possible to at least make an attempt. So if no one does that here, I will keep looking.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:30 am
MaxPC wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:12 am These panel discussions certainly cannot be considered a complete, even official source of information on the topic. That would be a gross reduction of the topic's viability to the ability of an individual to explain their view of it. Ernie, would you be comfortable being held up as THE official source of Anabaptist teaching? I know that young priest would not be comfortable with that perception.
No, I would not be comfortable with that. Did I imply that a discussion like this could or should?
I am simply restating how these types of "discussions" should be considered within the proper context. The rhetorical question is to help you and all to understand why "panels", "discussions", etc are not an official source of information about any given topic.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

MaxPC wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:22 pm I am simply restating how these types of "discussions" should be considered within the proper context. The rhetorical question is to help you and all to understand why "panels", "discussions", etc are not an official source of information about any given topic.
We are all good. I'm under no illusion that these types of discussions are official.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:40 pm
I understood MaxPC to say that it is not possible to describe the Catholic faith in a nutshell. I'm guessing there are Catholics who believe it is possible to at least make an attempt. So if no one does that here, I will keep looking.
No, Catholicism cannot be described "in a nutshell" if you wish to be truthful and to do it proper justice. Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church if you wish to have a true picture and understanding. Reductionism is not a sincere and truth-bearing activity for Catholic or any other Christian beliefs. Reductionism is the tool of choice for those who want a simple caricature to either attack or support a belief system.

To be clear, when one invites a member of a faith group to a panel, an RSVP does not mean the panelist believes in reductionism or, to use your phrase "in a nutshell". More often than not, the invitation is accepted by the panelist for the sake of gathering a portion of information and perspectives. That is the motivation of both this priest and other priests; to do more listening than instruction.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I can assure you though that converts are not being told they have to read it all before they can become Catholics.
2 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Soloist wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:03 pm I can assure you though that converts are not being told they have to read it all before they can become Catholics.
Esp not the newborns.
Privately, this subject line is one of my personal favs.

0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Soloist wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:03 pm I can assure you though that converts are not being told they have to read it all before they can become Catholics.
This is incorrect. The Rite for Christian Initiation of Adults classes (convert classes) use the CCC as its curriculum. They study the CCC for a year.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

MaxPC wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:45 pm
This is incorrect. The Rite for Christian Initiation of Adults classes (convert classes) use the CCC as its curriculum. They study the CCC for a year.
Correct doctrine in terms of what classes are supposed to be done is not reality. You would know this if you weren’t a plain Catholic. Plain Catholics probably have different standards. I’m sure there are some Catholic groups that actually do a year long class, but my patient’s mother converted to Catholicism and she was not in class for a year. She probably was a class for less than a week. Marriage conversion seems quite common and they are not doing a year of study and you know that, assuming you know very many non-plain Catholics. Being in academics I can understand you hold a high view of how things are done but there’s also reality. A child of course gets taught Catholic doctrine if they go to a Catholic school every year, but they don’t go through that book each year they go through children appropriate education on Catholic doctrine. In other words Catholic doctrine in a nutshell. I suppose one can appreciate that we aren’t Catholics in our instruction class generally only last six months…
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Soloist wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:43 pm
MaxPC wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:45 pm
Correct doctrine in terms of what classes are supposed to be done is not reality. You would know this if you weren’t a plain Catholic. Plain Catholics probably have different standards. I’m sure there are some Catholic groups that actually do a year long class, but my patient’s mother converted to Catholicism and she was not in class for a year. She probably was a class for less than a week. Marriage conversion seems quite common and they are not doing a year of study and you know that, assuming you know very many non-plain Catholics. Being in academics I can understand you hold a high view of how things are done but there’s also reality. A child of course gets taught Catholic doctrine if they go to a Catholic school every year, but they don’t go through that book each year they go through children appropriate education on Catholic doctrine. In other words Catholic doctrine in a nutshell. I suppose one can appreciate that we aren’t Catholics in our instruction class generally only last six months…
Soloist, you’re still an angry person I can see. Names, dates and the parish, diocese and parish address will assist in verifying your story. Without that information, we cannot consider your story truthful.
Back to the banned bench for you.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

:shock: ^^o.my. (i wrote this before seeing Max’s post.)
Soloist wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:43 pm
Correct doctrine in terms of what classes are supposed to be done is not reality.
You would know this if you weren’t a plain Catholic. Plain Catholics probably have different standards.

I’m sure there are some Catholic groups that actually do a year long class, but my patient’s mother converted to Catholicism and she was not in class for a year. She probably was a class for less than a week.

Marriage conversion seems quite common and they are not doing a year of study and you know that, assuming you know very many non-plain Catholics. Being in academics I can understand you hold a high view of how things are done but there’s also reality.

A child of course gets taught Catholic doctrine if they go to a Catholic school every year, but they don’t go through that book each year they go through children appropriate education on Catholic doctrine. In other words Catholic doctrine in a nutshell. I suppose one can appreciate that we aren’t Catholics in our instruction class generally only last six months…
RCIA - Becoming Catholic
https://www.blessedsacramentct.org/Sacr ... 0direction.

My not-full understanding is also that there is quite a lot of variation with the conversion process. No requirement for rebaptism.
i’m not sure about descriptions of public interactions with priests (as in Ernie’s video) as “Catholic Lite,” but, whatever.
The young priest was no more or less time-constrained than the others.

i believe 7th graders have a school year of Confirmation study preparation. This may be the most thorough and formal experience, understanding adults go once weekly for a period of time (which evidently varies quite a lot)? Adults have work, families, etc.,
i believe the Church attempts to not be “impossible.” They want converts, they don’t require degreed scholars.

i don’t expect to find the last word in Catholicism on MN, plain Catholics being a rarified subgroup? :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN