Christians and tattoos

General Christian Theology
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Christians and tattoos

Post by temporal1 »

2018: PastorRich :)
PastorRich wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:49 am
Josh wrote:Arguing something is a great "witnessing tool" seems like a questionable path to go down - almost anything can be justified this way. When does it end?
It ends hopefully with them placing their faith in Christ. A great witnessing tool was not my aim but it soon became that.
I know what you are saying and your caution is not unfounded. We do need to be careful.
Josh wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:05 pm Conservative Mennonites typically eschew jewellery and makeup; piercing and tattoos are more extreme versions of these.

A quiet, peaceable, and modest spirit doesn’t desire to draw attention to one’s bare flesh, which is what a tattoo does.
Why else would someone get one?
From what i understand, many reasons. Often, alcohol or some substance is involved. Appealing to peers.

Grief. Memorials.
A relative’s oldest teen son was killed in a fiery car crash, his grandparent’s car, he was driving, 2 in front killed, 1 in rear critically injured and survived. She had a memorial tattoo emblazened across her chest in his honor. i empathize with her profound grief, i doubt her son would have wanted this or anything like it.

i do not want or recommend tattoos. my reasoning is it’s needlessly violating God’s creation.
i do not speak or lecture those with tattoos. at all. the time to choose is before.

tattoos do not age well. if it’s for vanity, keep that in mind.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:00 pm tattoos do not age well. if it’s for vanity, keep that in mind.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Theophilos
Affiliation: Anabaptist-Mennonite

Post by Theophilos »

Another note, there was a theory that in nazi concetration camps people with special tatoos were more likely executed to have their skin used for lamp shades, purses, etc.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Theophilos wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:47 pm Another note, there was a theory that in nazi concetration camps people with special tatoos were more likely executed to have their skin used for lamp shades, purses, etc.
... that’s a new one. (I sure learn a lot about Nazis from this forum. More than I hear anywhere else.)
0 x