haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Re: Natural (God given) immunity is superior

Post by haithabu »

Ken wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:44 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:59 pm
Wayne in Maine wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:54 pm

Death is an outcome as well.
I just listened to a podcast on this subject, it makes sense to me. According to the podcast, the main problem with natural immunity is that it's simply too risky, too many people are dying.

Here's what I understood from the podcast: It's not really a "versus". Vaccines do not prevent natural immunity. Natural immunity and vaccine immunity can complement each other - If you have been vaccinated, and you encounter a new strain, you can generally acquire natural immunity to that strain without much risk of hospitalization or death, at least for the strains we have encountered so far.
Natural immunity achieved by exposing every American to Covid would result in the deaths of about 6 million Americans under the current Covid case fatality rate of 1.8%. That is about 10x as many people as have already died in this country due to Covid.

One a world-wide basis the Covid case fatality rate is about 2.2% and if the entire world population of 7.9 billion is exposed to achieve world-wide natural immunity the death toll would be about 174 million, which would put Covid up there with the Black Death of the mid 1300s as the worst pandemic in human history.

That is the death toll people are advocating when they call for natural immunity instead of vaccines.

We can do better.

You can do math better. If just the vulnerable people were protected the case fatality rate would be a fraction of what it is. And then again, not everyone exposed becomes infected and not every infected person becomes a case. You are extrapolating based on the worst possible assumptions.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

haithabu wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:06 pm

I just listened to a podcast on this subject, it makes sense to me. According to the podcast, the main problem with natural immunity is that it's simply too risky, too many people are dying.

Here's what I understood from the podcast: It's not really a "versus". Vaccines do not prevent natural immunity. Natural immunity and vaccine immunity can complement each other - If you have been vaccinated, and you encounter a new strain, you can generally acquire natural immunity to that strain without much risk of hospitalization or death, at least for the strains we have encountered so far.
Natural immunity achieved by exposing every American to Covid would result in the deaths of about 6 million Americans under the current Covid case fatality rate of 1.8%. That is about 10x as many people as have already died in this country due to Covid.

One a world-wide basis the Covid case fatality rate is about 2.2% and if the entire world population of 7.9 billion is exposed to achieve world-wide natural immunity the death toll would be about 174 million, which would put Covid up there with the Black Death of the mid 1300s as the worst pandemic in human history.

That is the death toll people are advocating when they call for natural immunity instead of vaccines.

We can do better.

You can do math better. If just the vulnerable people were protected the case fatality rate would be a fraction of what it is. And then again, not everyone exposed becomes infected and not every infected person becomes a case. You are extrapolating based on the worst possible assumptions.
How do you protect the vulnerable without vaccinating them?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Wayne in Maine wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:54 pm

Death is an outcome as well.

We can do better.
The problem is your numbers again are all assumptions. I know of people that have got sick living in a house with other confirmed cases of covid. One person is immunocompromised, overweight, in his 50's, and has had terrible lung issues his entire life - he never got tested and never went to the doctor was in bed for a number of days sick and he texted me today with no mention of problems. How many people like this could be added to your numbers changing that death rate again lower.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

1.8%? Does anyone still seriously believe that?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:44 pm 1.8%? Does anyone still seriously believe that?
You can find it graphed over time right here: https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-ri ... ality-rate

For all of 2021 it has been bouncing around between 1.6 and 1.85%. Call if 1.6% if you want and the total national wide fatality would drop from about 6 million to about 5.3 million. If everyone in the US was unvaccinated and caught Covid.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
mennonitemom1
Affiliation: Christian

Post by mennonitemom1 »

Ken wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:16 pm

We can do better.

I was looking for a place to leave some info I read today... this seems as good a place as any.... and anyone can look into this for themselves....
IF someone dies within 2 weeks of being vaccinated, (which MANY ARE) they are counted as "unvaccinated" by the cdc....
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:36 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:44 pm 1.8%? Does anyone still seriously believe that?
You can find it graphed over time right here: https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-ri ... ality-rate

For all of 2021 it has been bouncing around between 1.6 and 1.85%. Call if 1.6% if you want and the total national wide fatality would drop from about 6 million to about 5.3 million. If everyone in the US was unvaccinated and caught Covid.
This doesn’t count asymptomatic people who never get a test, or people who never bother getting a test who recover, which I suspect is most people. Virtually everyone I know in real life has had covid. Almost none of them got tested. I don’t know a single death, so the death rate of 1.8% is way off for me.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

mennonitemom1 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:15 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:16 pm

I was looking for a place to leave some info I read today... this seems as good a place as any.... and anyone can look into this for themselves....
IF someone dies within 2 weeks of being vaccinated, (which MANY ARE) they are counted as "unvaccinated" by the cdc....
So, is their death counted as death by the vaccine, or Covid-19? How did hou find this out?

Who on planet earth still puts their trust in all reporting??

We have complete peace about who & who not to trust, we thank God for His guidance & assurance
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Ken wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:36 pm

Early on, if there had been just as great a push by the experts to come up with early treatment protocols as there was to develop vaccines, most likely those 2021 numbers you cite would be much lower and who knows how much further ahead we would be in terms of herd immunity and ending the pandemic. My thinking on this has been influenced by groups like FLCCC.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

GaryK wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:32 am Early on, if there had been just as great a push by the experts to come up with early treatment protocols as there was to develop vaccines, most likely those 2021 numbers you cite would be much lower and who knows how much further ahead we would be in terms of herd immunity and ending the pandemic. My thinking on this has been influenced by groups like FLCCC.
There has been a great deal of research in treatment protocols of all kinds. In fact, the treatments the FLCCC points to have been researched, they just didn't have convincing data. If there were simple and effective treatments for Covid-19, we would be in a very different place.

The FLCCC has failed to convince the scientific community or the medical community with the kind of data they require.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?