Christian Ethics and Recycling & other Ecological Efforts

General Christian Theology

Does a Christian bear any responsibility to recycle waste materials?

1. No, are you nuts, you hopeless liberal?!
No votes
2. No, none at all, although I might if a “tree hugger” friend is with me.
No votes
3. A bit if there is a recycling drop-off point located conveniently nearby.
3%
4. More, if the city has a free curb pick-up service.
3%
5. Yes, as long as I do not have to wash anything first.
No votes
6. Yes, even if some washing is involved.
10%
7. Yes, even if there is some inconvenience involved.
20%
8. Yes, as a care-taker of God’s creation it is my Christian duty to do what ever I can to reduce the amount of recyclable waste that goes to the land-fill.
37%
9. I have been known to retrieve something from a neighbor's trash bin or from a dumpster, and either use it, or take it to a donation center (fixing it first if necessary).
17%
10. I'm an accomplished dumpster retrievalist, and a gambiarrista.
10%

Total votes: 30

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Christian Ethics and Recycling & other Ecological Efforts

Post by steve-in-kville »

I am appalled of the amount of food waste that has to get "destroyed" per the state or FDA. I would love to set up a composting arrangement somehow, if I had the land to do it.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:50 pm It wouldn't be that difficult at this point to avoid really using any plastic packaging at all, provided one is willing to... start living a rather simple lifestyle. And I'm not sure if that's not simply a quixotic quest, and in particular, I would fear for the level of social isolation that would bring between my family and literally everyone else, both my neighbours and my fellow brethren in church.

If it weren't for that, I would gladly embrace it and do it.
It would be a lot easier if I didn't have a wife and 3 daughters. But I find I'm not the dictator in home and while my family isn't particularly wasteful, they do not necessarily prioritize every aspect of consumer life the same way that I might. My wife shops more online than I do. But she is also very busy and saves on time and gas compared to going to the malls and big box stores in person with the car. So who knows how it all balances out. it is really hard to know. The local Amazon vans are now becoming electric and they probably result in a net reduction in local driving so who knows. But they are also changing the local consumer landscape.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Covid really accelerated online shopping.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:13 pm
Detergents are mostly in plastic tubs now and you can't hardly find the old boxed detergents in square cardboard boxes.
Some powdered detergents are loaded with fillers that are not good for sewer systems.

I am liking these detergent squares.

https://www.earthbreeze.com/products/ea ... 4438479406
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I don’t recycle garbage such as plastic or glass. I’ll recycle things that I benefit from, such as collecting scrap metal to sell at the scrap yard, composting plant scraps sometimes in the garden, and saving some leftover lumber or building supplies to use elsewhere.
I guess I care more about waste, than recycling a handful of trash. I’d have zero qualms about burning small amounts of plastic for example, instead of sending it to a landfill, or some joke of a recycling program - a recycling program that uses all kinds of resources from labor, to fuel, to energy etc.
0 x
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

I find that whenever I find workarounds to my poor executive functioning they often result in more trash. It’s frustrating.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

What?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Grace wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:33 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:13 pm
Detergents are mostly in plastic tubs now and you can't hardly find the old boxed detergents in square cardboard boxes.
Some powdered detergents are loaded with fillers that are not good for sewer systems.

I am liking these detergent squares.

https://www.earthbreeze.com/products/ea ... 4438479406
Even better is no detergent at all; I use an Eco-Wash which saturates the water with ozone, which is what hospitals and hotels do. Works great… but sometimes my wife decides to use a little soap on cloth diapers!
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

We recycle and put our recycle materials into either the blue or red boxes provided. But, imo, some Christians have made it into a sacrament of the green religion. If only as much effort was put into things of eternal value. This world will some day pass away and there will be a new heaven and a new earth. I believe God wants our focus on things of eternal value and I admit I need more focus on those things.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Plastics - Our head pastor operates a business that produces that sort of plastic outdoor furniture. I cannot recall the numbers, but well more than half of the materials that go into that stuff is recycled plastic.

Water doesn't get "used up" in normal household use. It is naturally "recycled" just as it always has been.

I am not convinced of "global warming" or that manufacturing by humans is a major factor in changes in weather patterns or extreme weather events. In Brazil a much greater percentage of food stuffs come directly from open markets, so there was much less plastic waste. (The fabric stores wrapped their products in what appeared to be recycled paper. Likewise pots & pans. We also bought a lot of things in bulk, which also reduces the amount of packaging involved.) But I do believe that the Scripture teaches that we are to be responsible care-takers of the earth. That car you bought, perhaps even new? I have news for you, it's going to get rusty and wear out. But that doesn't mean that you don't take care of it. Yes, it appears that this world will be "burned up in a fervent heat", but as early as 8th grade I realized that no other form of "destruction" would purify the earth, as the flood did back in Noah's time. (These two events are compared in Scripture as though they are very similar, so my understanding is that it is a purification type of 'destruction", not total annihilation of all of the elements that make up the earth. Maybe it's in Scripture that way because God already knew that we would pollute the whole place with broken glass, plastics, and rusty steel.)

But one of my main beefs is with people throwing out stuff that is still functional, just "out of style". They could at least take it to a second-hand store - there are all over the place hire in Holmes County, and they raise a LOT of money for missions and other ministries.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.