General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Hospitality and unfortunate reality

Post by MaxPC »

justme wrote:
i don't understand the focus on max.
and i don't understand the need for onlookers to defend max
max is a big boy. he can defend himself.

getting others involved just leads to more drama. which wasn't necessary in this thread.
max started a topic of conversation that included a question on how things should be handled.
judas asked a legitimate question. context is very important in answering questions like this.
what did that have to do with boot and with max not answering boot?

-jm
Not sure where all this ties into the OP. I've answered Judas Ms post. We have programs through our local parishes as well as regional programs via diocesan structures.

It's always good to review and seek improvement in existing service structures; exchanging ideas with others in a different fellowship or denom can provide new and better practices.

Soloist, thank you for your input as well. There have been times in which we've had to be more direct with a perseverating personality. We don't like to be quite so direct, our first preference is to gently guide the person. Some though don't take the hints :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:Not sure where all this ties into the OP. I've answered Judas Ms post. We have programs through our local parishes as well as regional programs via diocesan structures.

It's always good to review and seek improvement in existing service structures; exchanging ideas with others in a different fellowship or denom can provide new and better practices.
OK, then I assume the parish or diocese has established ways of handling these things. That's why I asked who the "we" is, to put it into this kind of context. But taking this back to the OP ...
MaxPC wrote:Situation: people with medical/emotional/mental issues who only seek membership admission in a fellowship in order to access free or less expensive medical care and medications through that fellowship (they aren't seeking for the purpose of honest spiritual fellowship).
Are you saying that a parish or diocese offers free or less expensive medical care only to members of the church?
MaxPC wrote:Example: periodically we're contacted by a parent who wants their adult child to live with us. It happens that the offspring is unemployed, addicted to playing video games, and has no interest in pursuing discipleship to Christ. How best to gently deal with this parent (and others), who is concerned about dying and having no one to care for the adult child?
I'm confused by the idea of a parent expecting a parish or diocese to provide for an adult child. What exactly is the parent expecting them to do?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

MaxPC wrote:
justme wrote:

getting others involved just leads to more drama. which wasn't necessary in this thread.
max started a topic of conversation that included a question on how things should be handled.
judas asked a legitimate question. context is very important in answering questions like this.

-jm
Not sure where all this ties into the OP. I've answered Judas Ms post. We have programs through our local parishes as well as regional programs via diocesan structures.

Soloist, thank you for your input as well. There have been times in which we've had to be more direct with a perseverating personality. We don't like to be quite so direct, our first preference is to gently guide the person. Some though don't take the hints :lol:
Personally, I have never heard of the RCC taking care of someone's adult children...if you exclude the example of Joseph Kennedy sr., and I suspect your friend does not have sufficient funds.

Have they considered something like Job Corp?

JM
0 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

justme wrote:

-jm
i was thinking of you when i posted, wondering if this is a point you've tried to make with me that i have not understood.

i agree about 3rd parties! - 100%.
is this pointed out to boot when he speaks for (peter, for a recent example?) ..
(i thot of those same words regarding peter: peter is a big boy, definitely can represent himself!)

because if this is a "constant," i'm for it, and i will work on it!

in your recent "arguments" thread, i think i recall, there were 2 examples of 3rd party interference - of course, it's meant well. but, sometimes best intentions fail.

my questions here were honest.
i was unsure, so, i suggested my posts be moved, if they were not appropriate. they are a bunny trail for this topic. no response from max on it. now, it's saturday evening, he may not be around until next week.

the "ignore" option can cause questions to appear to be ignored, when, in fact, they are just not seen.
here, boot knows max is ignoring, yet he questions as tho he does not know, then speculates about the motivation of no answers. which is uncomfortable, to read these accusations.

i agree about 3rd party "interference."
if everyone understands it similarly, and respects it, it's for the best.
that includes me. definitely.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Can we stick with the topic?

I think my questions relate directly to the things that are being said here, and are natural and normal questions for understanding the situation that Max is depicting. I know that Max can read my posts, because he responds to the content of my posts even if he pointedly indicates that he is not responding directly to me.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I'm wondering what parishes have "membership".. my roommate is becoming Catholic as is an old coworker. They are working towards being confirmed (is that the right term?) and then would be allowed to take the Eucharist (although one already takes it and apparently his priest doesn't care).

As far as any of us know there is no mutual aid plan that is restricted to confirmed, baptised Catholics only.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Josh wrote:I'm wondering what parishes have "membership".. my roommate is becoming Catholic as is an old coworker. They are working towards being confirmed (is that the right term?) and then would be allowed to take the Eucharist (although one already takes it and apparently his priest doesn't care).

As far as any of us know there is no mutual aid plan that is restricted to confirmed, baptised Catholics only.
IIRC when you move into a new parish, you simply register to get on the list, so you get the mail. It is also not at all unusual for a catholic who is not confirmed to receive communion. Children receive their first communion third grade or so, and typically confirmation in senior high, so there is a gap.

I am just wondering how a parish level aid program would take care of an adult that essentially would need care for life. Seems like too costly a task.

J.M.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Personally, I have never heard of the RCC taking care of someone's adult children...if you exclude the example of Joseph Kennedy sr., and I suspect your friend does not have sufficient funds.

Have they considered something like Job Corp?

JM
We do have group homes and counseling services for adults with disabilities.

Additionally we have homeless shelters, and food pantries, utilities assistance and a variety of services to help those in need.

We also have monasteries and religious communities for men and also for women who want to dedicate themselves completely to the Lord's service (predicated of course on the fact that they have a personal relationship with the Lord.) The adult spends at least five years' trial period living with the community to see if it's a match. This lady's inquiry for her son was focused upon finding a community of this nature.

There have been similar queries, this hasn't been the first or the only one.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:We also have monasteries and religious communities for men and also for women who want to dedicate themselves completely to the Lord's service (predicated of course on the fact that they have a personal relationship with the Lord.) The adult spends at least five years' trial period living with the community to see if it's a match. This lady's inquiry for her son was focused upon finding a community of this nature.
I assume "we" means the Catholic church here. I assume that the son would have to apply for himself, since he is an adult, and that he would have to fit into the monastic rules wherever he goes. Is that about right, or how do they handle it?
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Bootstrap wrote:
MaxPC wrote:We also have monasteries and religious communities for men and also for women who want to dedicate themselves completely to the Lord's service (predicated of course on the fact that they have a personal relationship with the Lord.) The adult spends at least five years' trial period living with the community to see if it's a match. This lady's inquiry for her son was focused upon finding a community of this nature.
I assume "we" means the Catholic church here. I assume that the son would have to apply for himself, since he is an adult, and that he would have to fit into the monastic rules wherever he goes. Is that about right, or how do they handle it?
Methinks that one addicted to video games would never make it through his postulant year. Could you imagine one of those video games profaning the "Great Silence."

J.M.
0 x