Best Resources for the Practice of Head-covering

General Christian Theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Best Resources for the Practice of Head-covering

Post by Ernie »

One of the ladies at this site mentioned being given a pamphlet on head covering that led her to begin considering the practice.

Conservative Anabaptists have written many articles on this topic but I'm not sure how effective they are for women who have never considered the practice before.

What short pamphlets (or other printed resources) would you recommend that are really accessible to people who have no ecclesiastical or doctrinal background for this practice?
Last edited by justme on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: change title per request
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Best Resources for Wearing a Head-covering

Post by Wade »

Ernie wrote:One of the ladies at this site mentioned being given a pamphlet on head covering that led her to begin considering the practice.

Conservative Anabaptists have written many articles on this topic but I'm not sure how effective they are for women who have never considered the practice before.

What short pamphlets (or other printed resources) would you recommend that are really accessible to people who have no ecclesiastical or doctrinal background for this practice?
This one was the best and most helpful to my wife: Tract [D] - The Veiling a Symbol of Divine Order by Kenneth D. Witmer published by Rod and Staff Publishers
Found here: https://www.milestonebooks.com/item/1-3311/ The full text is even written at this link!

I would avoid talking about styles much as my wife says there are attitudes by some groups around the kapp that can make it discouraging for newcomer women...

She didn't find the tract, "The Significance of the Christian Woman's Veiling," by EMP as helpful but maybe others would?

She said "...let her be veiled." by Tom Shank available through Charity Christian fellowship has a very non-denominational type feeling that was more encouraging for a newcomer especially her being raised in a religious setting that didn't practice wearing a veil. But this is more like a small book.

Maybe others will have different opinions or experiences and I expect that - just sharing openly and honestly about my wife's experience which will be different from others. So keep in mind my wife started wearing a covering from reading scripture and some Mennonite material(the first tract listed above), while praying about it before we ever met any Mennonites or anyone else that covered. So we never talked about it with anyone just felt convicted to follow God's Word.

By far she says the bible is the best resource!
0 x
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by Once Again »

For me, David Bercot's CD on headcovering and a study I found online that was written in the 1980's by a preacher in the churches of Christ entitled "No Such Custom" led me to start covering. It had been something I'd been wondering about since my early teens when I first read I Corinthians 11.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I think K. P. Yohannan's booklet is a good one.
0 x
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

Wade wrote:By far she says the bible is the best resource!
This always seems to be the case!

I'm not much into pamphlets, but nice if it did help in this case.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Witmer's tract linked to above mostly presents the point of view well. The context given is helpful. He does not address the big question of how "pray at all times" is an instruction for women to always have a head covering, but does not similarly imply that men must never wear a hat.
0 x
quietpilgrim
Affiliation: Charity

Re: Best Resources for the Practice of Head-covering

Post by quietpilgrim »

One may find this book to be helpful as it deals not only with the scriptural reference, but also the historical application in various denominations through the centuries, complete with pictures. It is written at a lay person's level and could be read over the course of a few evenings.

If I could offer but one word of caution: If my memory serves me correct, the author's bias is toward women only wearing the covering during times of public worship.

https://www.amazon.com/Glories-Seen-Uns ... 0979538726

QP
0 x
Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου, διαφορὰ δὲ πολλὴ μεταξὺ τῶν δύο ὁδῶν. (Διδαχή των Δώδεκα Αποστόλων)
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by Once Again »

I'm not suggesting that Wikipedia is a good resource for spiritual matters, but I found their article on Christian headcovering to be interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_headcovering
0 x
Karstan78
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Karstan78 »

http://www.accn-toronto.org/more/the-headcovering

We just refer people to this site.
0 x