Alistair Begg: You should go to a transsexual wedding

General Christian Theology
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Alistair Begg: You should go to a transsexual wedding

Post by Valerie »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:11 pm
Valerie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:53 pm I think you assessed it all correctly in my mind Sudsy and like you, I too feel one should really pray and seek the Lord for guidance & I too think he should have encouraged that- of course he did not go into his whole session with her, he may have encouraged her to pray.

We decided to watch the service live via YouTube this morning. Before he started his message, he said in the evening service he will address the great amount of internet reaction to what he had said- his colleagues advised him to- but this will be for our ears,- not on YouTube. We will go, there will be baptisms and his address about this. He never claimed to be infallible.
I would love to hear Alistair's thoughts since it got such a reaction. I'm wondering if he is going to get into what he thinks Jesus would do considering how Jesus interacted with sinners and was ridiculed by the highly religious folk as 'a friend of sinners'.
It was always "purposeful" when Jesus met with sinners. Remember, Zacchaeus SO wanted to hear and see the Lord he went through the trouble of climbing a tree! Jesus came first to save the lost sheep of Israel. Pharisees, mostly, not all, were so hardened they as Pastor Begg said "would not" so they "could not" see. I don't read Jesus hung out with sinners to be chummy. Otherwise the passages like "what fellowship does light have with darkness" and "come out from among them and be separate" would make no sense.

It's really snowing right now so I hope by the time we'd leave for church I am comfortable driving out ,50 min. drive especially with driving home in the dark (Neil's vision handicap, I've been the driver 22 years). So will share what he says. He looked tired today, hmmmm.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Valerie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:41 am
Sudsy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:24 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:32 pm

There were no "born again believers" at that point.
Yes, I heard that point made somewhere. :)
I think Sudsy you are basing your opinion on a lot of speculation vs facts.

I do know God had allowed divorce & remarriage. He never allowed gay marriage or ge MN der changes.

Bottom line for this issue to us is whether attending a wedding actually shows support of f the union. Pastor Begg I believe is encouraging the grandmother to be "clear" about her belief if it being wrong- while at the same time showing her love by being there. As we are not to "judge" those outside of the faith and leave that to God, it most certainly would be different if they were "professing" Christians getting married. Personally we are so disappointed in heart we're staying home I think today. A little heartsick.

Homosexuality & transgenderism is not just sin but goes aga.inst God's very creation. He NEVER condoned or allowed this

What is the purpose of attending a wedding

My grandchild would not want me there as I'd probably be weeping.
You realize that weeping may be the best testimony in this case.
It may not touch anyone who is fully hardened or one whom God has "given over" to a mind devoid of reason, but it still may reach someone.
2 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

silentreader wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:14 pm
It may not touch anyone who is fully hardened or one whom God has "given over" to a mind devoid of reason, but it still may reach someone.
I don't think showing up at someone else's wedding and making a public scene that is all about you is necessarily the way to win people over. It is just rude and inconsiderate.

If you can't attend someone else's event without making a spectacle of yourself, better to just not go.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:41 am My grandchild would not want me there as I'd probably be weeping.
silentreader, good point.
my daughter tries to live without tears, i’ve encouraged her, sometimes, letting go to tears might be the best thing.
of course, to sincere heartfelt tears, not angry or for dramatic display.

scriptures speak of tears, one of my fav passages is Psalms 56:8 “tears in Your bottle” .. https://biblehub.com/psalms/56-8.htm

our culture values being strong, sometimes unexpected answers result in humility and tears, “giving up” rather than domination.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:21 pm
I don't think showing up at someone else's wedding and making a public scene that is all about you is necessarily the way to win people over. It is just rude and inconsiderate.

If you can't attend someone else's event without making a spectacle of yourself, better to just not go.
I wonder what Jesus would do.
1 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

If that is actually why it is done, then absolutely, don't go.
2 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:02 pm

Make the wine?

That is frankly as good of a guess as any.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Jesus wept.
2 x
:hug:
Ken

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:45 pm

Jesus wept.
Let's be accurate. In the verse you are referring to, he wept at a death, not a marriage.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:40 am Let's be accurate. In the verse you are referring to, he wept at a death, not a marriage.
Such a false "marriage" represents a spiritual death for both parties involved.
1 x