Role of an Elder

General Christian Theology
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Role of an Elder

Post by mike »

I came across this, and thought it was one of the better descriptions I've seen of the role of an elder in the church:
Ray Stedman put it this way (Discovery Paper 3500, “A Pastor’s Authority”), “The task of the elders is not to run the church themselves, but to determine how the Lord in their midst wishes to run his church.” He points out that much of this has already been made known through the Bible. Thus, “In the day-to-day decisions which every church faces, elders are to seek and find the mind of the Lord through an uncoerced unanimity, reached after thorough and biblically-related discussion. Thus, ultimate authority, even in practical matters, is vested in the Lord and in no one else.” The Lord delegates that authority to a plurality of men in each local church so that no one man can play God.
- https://bible.org/seriespage/lesson-9-u ... -titus-215
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Role of an Elder

Post by temporal1 »

my father-in-law was a church elder/deacon for many years.
i admired his servant-minded approach to his responsibilities.

actually, he maintained this approach in all aspects of his life.
he was born in 1908, he and his siblings were orphaned when young, grew up in an orphanage.
in those times, i've learned in Census Records, orphaned children were recorded as "inmates." :(

just as Anne of Green Gables left her orphanage to work on a farm, so did they.
their father would not allow adoption, so, they each worked on various farms. they were not placed together. after summer work, they would return to the home.

he could have been a bitter, angry man. he chose Jesus.
through hard times, he was able to attend a University, earning a degree in ceramics engineering.
he worked, until retirement, then after, as a consultant, as a ceramics engineer for A.O. Smith, the "big blue silo" company.

he could have been proud. nope. not his way.
he was humble, loving, and had the spirit of a servant.

occasionally, he would say, somewhat wistfully, "Never forget where you came from."

i often remember him sitting quietly in their living room, quietly studying his black Bible.
no other book. his one well-worn Bible.

they lived for 60 years in the one modest home they bought, for $5,000 cash, when they were first married. that house was a home! :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

In Catholic world, the elder is the priest and the bishop.

We have deacons who are married and single men; they don't have all the faculties of the elders but can perform weddings and baptisms.

Just in case you were wondering. :lol: :roll:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote:In Catholic world, the elder is the priest and the bishop.

We have deacons who are married and single men; they don't have all the faculties of the elders but can perform weddings and baptisms.

hmm. i recall.
years ago, we had Catholic friends in Iowa. when he retired from a professional job, he became interested in becoming a deacon, he said this was becoming more common, numbers of new priests were declining.

this became quite a commitment, closely involving his somewhat reluctant wife!
she was looking forward to actual retirement, not having so many commitments; much of her life had been supporting his, and their family's obligations. they moved forward.

last i knew, they were both quite happy with this new life choice, which demands from both of them. they have a lovely family, active and healthy. i believe this does add to their responsibilities (not planned) but, they all seem blessed with the decision. wonder how they're doing now?! :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

temporal1 wrote:hmm. i recall.
years ago, we had Catholic friends in Iowa. when he retired from a professional job, he became interested in becoming a deacon, he said this was becoming more common, numbers of new priests were declining.

this became quite a commitment, closely involving his somewhat reluctant wife!
she was looking forward to actual retirement, not having so many commitments; much of her life had been supporting his, and their family's obligations. they moved forward.

last i knew, they were both quite happy with this new life choice, which demands from both of them. they have a lovely family, active and healthy. i believe this does add to their responsibilities (not planned) but, they all seem blessed with the decision. wonder how they're doing now?! :D
Yes, the applicant to the diaconate has to have his wife's support and endorsement or he won't be accepted. It's a full time ministry. Some of the younger deacons have full time jobs and full time ministry. Ah, youth and their energy. :lol:

There's been a surge in priestly vocations in the past ten years but the diaconate is still growing as well. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

How can a deacon be a married and single man at the same time? :geek: :shock:
1 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

gcdonner wrote:

:lol: That's me writing too fast. It should say "...deacons who are married and deacons who are single men;"
And the beat rolls on... :dance:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:
gcdonner wrote:

:lol: That's me writing too fast. It should say "...deacons who are married and deacons who are single men;"
And the beat rolls on... :dance:
In my experience, most elders do have rolls about the mid section and every time we have a fellowship dinner too...
♫When the rolls are served up yonder I'll be there...♫
1 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I wonder how an elder can be the husband of one wife and be unmarried at the same time…
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:I wonder how an elder can be the husband of one wife and be unmarried at the same time…
If he was divorced and remarried?
0 x