A Personal Relationship With God ?

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

A Personal Relationship With God ?

Post by Sudsy »

This thread is to share your thoughts on what a personal relationship with God involves.

For instance, obedience is often referred to when we talk about being a Christ follower but can one be obedient to someone and not have a personal, intimate relationship with them ?

I believe they can and can know about God but only in their mind and not be living in an on-going experience of relationship with God.

Perhaps there was a period in your life where you experienced an intimate relationship with God but that, for some reason(s) is not your current state. Perhaps as scripture says 'you have left your first love' for Christ and other things have become what you now love the most and is reflected in where you spend the better part of your time and focus.

On the surface, one may say this relationship involves reading your Bible, going to church, prayer, etc but I believe these too can be practised without having this personal, intimate relationship.

Feel free to share what you do to grow your relationship with God and anything else on the subject.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: A Personal Relationship With God ?

Post by Soloist »

Do we want to obey God’s commandments? Or do we have to obey God’s commandments?
Do we love and obey willingly? Or do we grudgingly obey anything we can’t justify as extra-biblical?

I don’t see any one person as being perfect here, but I do think that just because we don’t like it or think it’s not fair or reasonable, isn’t justifiable to disobey.
We all go through times of obeying because we have to, but what direction are we headed? Legalistic and arguing away the teachings of Jesus? Or willing sacrifices trying our best to stay on the alter?
I know you don’t agree Sudsy, we certainly have disagreed, but would you desire a son who tries to obey you? Or one who wiggles out of your rules?
Can we know God and grow closer to Him and not read His words? Not pray? Not obey Him?
I would argue aside from what is His laws for us or not that God will be ready to receive us, but we can’t expect a relationship built on just a statement of faith. Our walk has to be alive! Otherwise we live in dead nothing being deceived.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:46 am
Wow, a lot of questions. I may not understand what you are getting at with some but I'll try to respond in blue.

Do we want to obey God’s commandments? Or do we have to obey God’s commandments?
Do we love and obey willingly? Or do we grudgingly obey anything we can’t justify as extra-biblical?

Speaking of born again Christians, my thoughts giving each question a number -
1) We want to obey God's commandments as that is making Jesus our Lord and God gives us a 'want to'.
2) We are still free to obey or not. Learning there are consequences to not obeying and blessing to obeying we should be learning to obey.
3) Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't. We have a battle with the flesh, satan and the world to always obey willingly.
4) Sorry, my old brain didn't get this one.

I don’t see any one person as being perfect here, but I do think that just because we don’t like it or think it’s not fair or reasonable, isn’t justifiable to disobey.
We all go through times of obeying because we have to, but what direction are we headed? Legalistic and arguing away the teachings of Jesus? Or willing sacrifices trying our best to stay on the alter?

As mentioned, I am free to disobey but there are consequences to disobey. My flesh may not want to obey but when I 'walk in the Spirit' I don't give way to the flesh. Yes, we are to crucify the flesh and it's desires and when we don't we reap what we sow.

I know you don’t agree Sudsy, we certainly have disagreed, but would you desire a son who tries to obey you? Or one who wiggles out of your rules?

I would desire a son who believes that the guidance he is given is advantagous to follow but I realize that a son is in a state of growing to maturity and, at times, thinks he knows better. Over time a son learns, not always, but throughout this learning he is loved by the father and comes to realize the father's wisdom.

Can we know God and grow closer to Him and not read His words? Not pray? Not obey Him?

No, I believe these are some of the ways we grow in our relationship with God. But it is also possible to do these things (thinking of the Pharisees) and not growing closer to Him. If they were growing closer to Him by their religious practises, they would not have the attitude they had regarding sinners. Jesus really 'pulled the rug out' from under these people who keenly thought they were examples of real God followers.

I would argue aside from what is His laws for us or not that God will be ready to receive us, but we can’t expect a relationship built on just a statement of faith. Our walk has to be alive! Otherwise we live in dead nothing being deceived.

Well put !
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Sudsy wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:32 am This thread is to share your thoughts on what a personal relationship with God involves.
My thoughts.

A personal relationship is built on trust.

When my wife tells me I should do something, I really trust her insight and I will do what I can to do as she suggests.

I think a personal relationship with God or Jesus is the same. I do not obey out of fear or rules, but trust. I trust they have my best interest at heart and are calling me to act a certain way for MY and OTHERS benefit. So God's commands are things I see as helpful and beneficial for me to strive to do. I may not always make it, but it does not hurt God if I fall short, it hurts me or someone else close to me.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Jesus told a story about two sons. Their father told them to do some work in the field. The first one said Yes, he would do it, but didn't. The second said NO, he would not do it, but later reconsidered, and DID go. Then Jesus asked, Which one obeyed the father? He didn't go into the motivations of each of the two sons, why did the second one later decide to obey? He also didn't say anything about the father's response to either of them.

God has always wanted - desired - a personal relationship with each person. He invited the entire Israelite community into a one-on-one relationship at Mt Sinai. The people were afraid, and told Moses, You talk to Him, then tell us what He says. They refused the personal, intimate interaction that God wanted. Jesus gave the same invitation to the "rich young ruler". We too often read that story and don't even notice what Jesus was offering him. We get hung up on the "requirements" - that he asked him to give away his wealth. That is the same response taken by the man himself, who went away sad. He didn't hear Jesus' invitation, because his mind was on his wealth - what it would "cost him". One of the Gospels specifically states "and Jesus loved him". How can we look past that, and fall into a discussion about wealth?
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:37 am
Sudsy wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:32 am This thread is to share your thoughts on what a personal relationship with God involves.
My thoughts.

A personal relationship is built on trust.

When my wife tells me I should do something, I really trust her insight and I will do what I can to do as she suggests.

I think a personal relationship with God or Jesus is the same. I do not obey out of fear or rules, but trust. I trust they have my best interest at heart and are calling me to act a certain way for MY and OTHERS benefit. So God's commands are things I see as helpful and beneficial for me to strive to do. I may not always make it, but it does not hurt God if I fall short, it hurts me or someone else close to me.
Precisely. I say, well said.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God