Preterism

General Christian Theology
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Preterism

Post by JimFoxvog »

GCDonner suggested another thread. I'd like to hear more of his ideas, so here's a place.
gcdonner wrote: Being a Preterist, I see the new age/coming age as already present and that the general resurrection began at the cross initially (remember those that rose and went about Jerusalem after the crucifixion?), but was fulfilled in the end of the age, ie, the OC age in AD 70 when it passed away and the NC came into full bloom. (see Heb 8:13) The resurrection continues on down through history, as does the "rapture". The "new heaven & the new earth" are synonymous with the New Jerusalem, which the writer of Hebrews told his readers they were already coming to. (Heb 12:22-24)
But perhaps this should all be discussed in another thread, since eschatology itself is not a fad, though some forms of it are.
I'm not very familiar with Preterism in this form. I understand and think it is possibly correct that some of the scriptures that are sometimes used as relating to end times may be better understood as already being fulfilled at the fall of Jerusalem. But ...
  • Does this point of view say there is not a general resurrection, when all who have died will come to life?
  • More importantly to me, does this interpretation say there will not be a time when evil no longer rules this world? Does Satan continue forever?
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Preterism

Post by gcdonner »

JimFoxvog wrote:GCDonner suggested another thread. I'd like to hear more of his ideas, so here's a place.
gcdonner wrote: Being a Preterist, I see the new age/coming age as already present and that the general resurrection began at the cross initially (remember those that rose and went about Jerusalem after the crucifixion?), but was fulfilled in the end of the age, ie, the OC age in AD 70 when it passed away and the NC came into full bloom. (see Heb 8:13) The resurrection continues on down through history, as does the "rapture". The "new heaven & the new earth" are synonymous with the New Jerusalem, which the writer of Hebrews told his readers they were already coming to. (Heb 12:22-24)
But perhaps this should all be discussed in another thread, since eschatology itself is not a fad, though some forms of it are.
I'm not very familiar with Preterism in this form. I understand and think it is possibly correct that some of the scriptures that are sometimes used as relating to end times may be better understood as already being fulfilled at the fall of Jerusalem. But ...
  • Does this point of view say there is not a general resurrection, when all who have died will come to life?
  • More importantly to me, does this interpretation say there will not be a time when evil no longer rules this world? Does Satan continue forever?
I guess the second question needs to be answered first. The final outcome is totally up to God, which I think we could both agree. The associated question must be, "How long will the world/earth last?"
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Good. Kinda missed the Preterist discussions. If its any consolation George, I'm being called a heretic with more frequency. Having said that, I'm not quite a full preterist yet.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Signtist wrote:Good. Kinda missed the Preterist discussions. If its any consolation George, I'm being called a heretic with more frequency. Having said that, I'm not quite a full preterist yet.
I hesitate to refer to myself as a full preterist either, there are still some things I can't totally relegate to a particular period of time in fulfillment and perhaps will never know in this life.
Just remember that Jesus was a heretic in his time too...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Yes the final outcome is up to God.

"THE EARTH SHALL LAST FOREVER" image sure isn't conclusive about the earth lasting forever, is it?

The Hebrews 1 passage and Isaiah 51 says it shall perish. Ephesians 3.21 (KJV) uses the idiom "world without end", which is not a literal translation. It is more literally translated "age after age", that is forever -- not referring to the earth at all.

Isaiah 45 "world without end" is more literally "unto sons of future", meaning forever again, again with no reference to the earth.

I'm not sure how much we can use the poetic Psalms for doctrine about the future. But Psalm 78.68-69 likens the sanctuary to the earth. "And He chooseth the tribe of Judah, With mount Zion that He loved, and buildeth His sanctuary as a high place, Like the earth, He founded it to the age." (Young's Literal Translation) The sanctuary on mount Zion didn't last forever. An "age" seems a better translation. Psalm 93.1 has a phrase about the world cannot be moved. The word for "world" has a number of meanings in Hebrew, as it does for Planet Earth. As we know the planet earth is moved by gravitational forces, I doubt this is about the planet.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

JimFoxvog wrote:Yes the final outcome is up to God.

"THE EARTH SHALL LAST FOREVER" image sure isn't conclusive about the earth lasting forever, is it?

The Hebrews 1 passage and Isaiah 51 says it shall perish. Ephesians 3.21 (KJV) uses the idiom "world without end", which is not a literal translation. It is more literally translated "age after age", that is forever -- not referring to the earth at all.

Isaiah 45 "world without end" is more literally "unto sons of future", meaning forever again, again with no reference to the earth.

I'm not sure how much we can use the poetic Psalms for doctrine about the future. But Psalm 78.68-69 likens the sanctuary to the earth. "And He chooseth the tribe of Judah, With mount Zion that He loved, and buildeth His sanctuary as a high place, Like the earth, He founded it to the age." (Young's Literal Translation) The sanctuary on mount Zion didn't last forever. An "age" seems a better translation. Psalm 93.1 has a phrase about the world cannot be moved. The word for "world" has a number of meanings in Hebrew, as it does for Planet Earth. As we know the planet earth is moved by gravitational forces, I doubt this is about the planet.
It is a privilege to discuss this with you Jim. You are one of the first to even consider the actual context and literal translations of these passages without just dismissing the whole concept. I agree that the "world without end" is better "to the age, etc"
However, you did touch on another subject hidden in there in referring to the Old Covenant people/ system in terms of creation. Please compare Heb 1:10-12 with Heb 8:13
Heb 1:10  And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands: 
11  They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment; 
12  And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.

compare:
Heb 8:13  In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. 
In both contexts it is referring to the same thing, the Old Covenant (OC). The whole point of the book of Hebrews is to point to the everlasting nature of the New Covenant (NC) with the temporary nature of the OC, the superiority of the NC over the OC.
Is 51 is also filled with metaphor of the OC vs NC and in particular refers to the OC people/system as being the heavens and the earth:
Isa 51:16  And I have put my words in thy mouth, and I have covered thee in the shadow of mine hand, that I may plant the heavens, and lay the foundations of the earth, and say unto Zion, Thou art my people.
YHWH clearly links his OC people with his creation in metaphor, referring to their very creation as a people is of the same import. I don't believe this verse is speaking of the natural creation at all, especially in the light of the passages that quote in the book of Hebrews.
In like manner, when the NT uses the phrases "new heavens and new earth" it is in reference to the New Covenant that was about to come into full revelation.
That the OC and the NC existed side by side for a period of time is evident, again especially in the book of Hebrews.
I hope you don't discount all of the Psalms as being foundation for doctrine. Much of what the church believes concerning fulfilled prophecy in the first coming comes from the Psalms...
Think about it.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

gcdonner wrote: I hesitate to refer to myself as a full preterist either, there are still some things I can't totally relegate to a particular period of time in fulfillment and perhaps will never know in this life.
What are the 'some things'?
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

RZehr wrote:
gcdonner wrote: I hesitate to refer to myself as a full preterist either, there are still some things I can't totally relegate to a particular period of time in fulfillment and perhaps will never know in this life.
What are the 'some things'?
Well, one of the things is Revelation 20 which some Preterists jam into the 40 year period between the Cross and the Parousia. I find that as nonsensical as Futurists stretching the 69th week of Daniel for 2000 years (and counting...).
I am sure there is a logical, theological solution, but I haven't thought of it and haven't read of it either.
I do believe, like the Amillennialists, that in some way it refers to the "church age", in that Satan is bound at this present time, but I'm not totally satisfied with that scenario either. It may be that I never understand it this side of heaven.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I have been thinking about this the past few days.

If Preterism is the concept that Jesus has already returned in 70 AD, then the Kingdom of God is here now. George, how do you, then, rely on two kingdom theology?

I would think a preterist would be focused on shaping this existing world more towards God's kingdom, since it is partially in existence.

How do you work at this? You said you do not vote, nor think any Christian should. Wouldn't that be helping to user in more of the Kingdom of God into this world?
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Robert wrote:I have been thinking about this the past few days.

If Preterism is the concept that Jesus has already returned in 70 AD, then the Kingdom of God is here now. George, how do you, then, rely on two kingdom theology?

I would think a preterist would be focused on shaping this existing world more towards God's kingdom, since it is partially in existence.

How do you work at this? You said you do not vote, nor think any Christian should. Wouldn't that be helping to user in more of the Kingdom of God into this world?
God's kingdom is still not a political entity. Think of kingdom as "reign". While God is sovereign, he chooses to reign over those who submit to him out of love, not coercion. It is a different kind of kingdom, with different motives and values. He reigns over the church, which is the new Jerusalem. You can read about it in Rev 21, which I am finishing up a bible study on tomorrow at the nursing home. For me, it really isn't about eschatology per se, but about our relationship to him, and his to us.
0 x